Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:32 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
... Sorry, that should read £3,000 not $.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

... Sorry, that should read £3,000 not $.
Something tells me you booked 4 one way tickets.

BIG mistake.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Sure did. Would there have been a cheaper way?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of

we were stranded in halifax, ns, due to fly back to glasgow on the day zoom went bust. we managed to get home by flying to newark (new york, usa) through continental - £500 each then from newark to heathrow through virgin - reduced flights £180 each (80% discount)
We left our hotel room at 10:30 am Thursday morning and should have arrived in glasgow, uk at 8:40 am Friday morning. Instead we flew to newark on Friday morning and had to spend 13 1/2 hours at newark airport until finally flying back to the uk at 9pm Friday night. finally arrived in the UK at about 10am on saturday morning. we still had to collect our car from Glasgow airport - it was a nightmare!

W
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:37 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba
we were stranded in halifax, ns, due to fly back to glasgow on the day zoom went bust. we managed to get home by flying to newark (new york, usa) through continental - £500 each then from newark to heathrow through virgin - reduced flights £180 each (80% discount)
We left our hotel room at 10:30 am Thursday morning and should have arrived in glasgow, uk at 8:40 am Friday morning. Instead we flew to newark on Friday morning and had to spend 13 1/2 hours at newark airport until finally flying back to the uk at 9pm Friday night. finally arrived in the UK at about 10am on saturday morning. we still had to collect our car from Glasgow airport - it was a nightmare!

W
Was wondering if you had been caught up in the zoom fiasco.....how did your trip go?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Return flights.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba

W
Sounds like you might have been due to fly out on the same Zoom flight as us, we got to Halifax airport around 18:40 Thursday evening, we managed to get back to glasgow by flying out Friday morning to Detroit - Amersterdam - Glasgow. Not sure how Virgin charged you reduced flights as ours cost £634 each landing at 08:25 Sat morning
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Red face Re: The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
Sounds like you might have been due to fly out on the same Zoom flight as us, we got to Halifax airport around 18:40 Thursday evening, we managed to get back to glasgow by flying out Friday morning to Detroit - Amersterdam - Glasgow. Not sure how Virgin charged you reduced flights as ours cost £634 each landing at 08:25 Sat morning
Hi Stupot - I bet we were due to fly on the same flight! My sister-in-law arranged our flights for us from the Uk and I have to say she had a real palaver with virgin - they needed proof of our zoom flights before they would issue the discount - but they did in the end! I was devastated to find that our holiday insurance didn't cover the extra flight costs - I thought we had cover for flight cancellation (which we did) but apparantly it only covers cancellation before you commence your journey :curse: Just got my mobile phone bill and it cost me £38 to make all the phone calls to try and sort everything out from Halifax - what a nightmare My husband hasn't had his bill yet and he used his phone more than me so he's dreading it )
Sounds like it's cost us all a fortune - I'm glad you and your family got home safely to Glasgow though - wouldn't wish it on anyone)
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

I had to book flights for the inlaws to get home from Calgary, originally they were to go back on the 27th Sept, when the notice came out i started calling around and everything was super high priced, by the end of my calls Calgary-Glasgow direct was all sold out for Sept....i called by globespan as i was just going to book something through them going to manchester but the guy on the phone there said he would look around for me. He got me 2 tickets through BA, going via london but still thats ok, and it cost $1600 for the 2 of them. I checked out BA myself and it was that price per person.

now my inlaws go home on Oct 1 instead.......
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:34 am
Just Joined

jeremy_fitch is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a shame they've gone although you could definitely tell they were a pretty ropey airline. I was left stranded in Alberta and had to pay £450 for my single ticket back home an extra £350 on the price I had paid for my Zoom ticket
Although not half as bad as most people's stories on here. I hope you all got OK in the end.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

My sister was stranded here, she was due to fly back on 15 Sept from Winnipeg to Gatwick.... She ended up going back on 29 Sept with Air Canada to Heathrow.... This had extra inconvenience for her as she is mentally disabled and her carer had to overnight in Heathrow to meet her on Tuesday morning, and then get her back to Gatwick for her onward flight to Guernsey as there's no link with Heathrow....... The cost was an extra $1400. They booked a return ticket as the single was $1700.00.