Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice
Default The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

Same as before.... share your experiences here and we can hopefully help each other out.

Good Luck all!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:27 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of
Default Re: The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

All for Calgary-Glasgow which we are doing, all prices for single person and I think including relevant taxes:

Expedia has some "good" prices for one way in the $1400 range if you are ok with a longer trip and 2 stops. Over $2000 for one-way with BMI or BA 1 stopper. Travelocity had the same flights more or less

Fly Globespan I think had availability for Friday evening to get you back to Glasgow saturday in the $800 range when looking late last night

Air Canada came out as one of the most expensive both return and one-way, in the $2400 range

We are flying BA - return (it's cheaper plus what we needed) just under $2000 per adult. Cheapest to return after the 16th of Sept if you are booking a non-use return just for the price

Also just heard while speaking to RBC to cancel my charge that BA and Virgin are offering "deals" for those effected. No idea what the deals are or how to get them, but just thought I'd let people know to tell the other airlines what happened when booking.

Last edited by Hobbess; Aug 28th 2008 at 8:19 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all
Default Re: The I know someone left stranded by Zoom and this is how they got home thread

We are 20mins from Gatwick, if anyone gets really stuck we can probably sort out a bed and a couch for a night.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

just got a flight with canadian affiar £450 for 3 people for sunday,my parents had a flight booked with zoom for sat from calgary to london but they are going to manchester now, thats all they had left until sept 7th,just glad we got one.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Jeez looks like once we emigrate we'll never be able to afford to come back! Not that never revisiting the UK is a bad thing, but it means our parents will have to come visit us more often, and my dad isn't good on long flights (his idea of 'long haul' was to the Costa del Sol a few years back )

Anita
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by seanyg
Jeez looks like once we emigrate we'll never be able to afford to come back! Not that never revisiting the UK is a bad thing, but it means our parents will have to come visit us more often, and my dad isn't good on long flights (his idea of 'long haul' was to the Costa del Sol a few years back )

Anita
Don't kid yourself too much, I lived in LA for four years and once you've seen one strip mall you've seen 'em all Canada is a fantastic place but don't ever think you won't miss Blighty, if I thought there was no chance of visiting now & again I would not be planning to move.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:44 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested and in the Toronto area you can still get flights through flyglobespan to most destinations in the UK. Yes they're from Hamilton and they usually only fly once a week, but beggars can't be choosers.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sjt53
Don't kid yourself too much, I lived in LA for four years and once you've seen one strip mall you've seen 'em all Canada is a fantastic place but don't ever think you won't miss Blighty, if I thought there was no chance of visiting now & again I would not be planning to move.
I hear what you're saying but I lived in France for a few years and never missed the UK. I think if my parents can visit that'll be enough as their presence will remind me of home (believe me, Desborough really isn't the kind of place that you miss!) and knowing them they'll probably offer to pay for us to fly back every few years anyway (the outlaws won't be able to afford to come out so this'll suit them, hehe).

Anita
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seanyg
I hear what you're saying but I lived in France for a few years and never missed the UK. I think if my parents can visit that'll be enough as their presence will remind me of home (believe me, Desborough really isn't the kind of place that you miss!) and knowing them they'll probably offer to pay for us to fly back every few years anyway (the outlaws won't be able to afford to come out so this'll suit them, hehe).

Anita
You can talk! I come from Accrington not even the latest batch of muslim terrorist would have fond memories of that place
But I live in Sussex now and its beautiful. Living in France is just the same, there are buildings over 150 years old and that really makes a difference I think. Still I know what you're saying about keeping a bit of water between you and relatives
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:29 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

My friend's daughter and grandchildren were due to fly home from Calgary on 3rd. Luckily they booked through a travel agent and have been told that they will get money back, but they are still having trouble getting a flight that coincides with the flights they booked from Regina to Calgary then from Gatwick to Manchester which cost as much as the flight over the water and is not covered by ABTA

They rang the companies who said they would be competitive getting everyone who is stranded home and she says the prices were rediculous but she may have to pay.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

We were stuck in Halifax, NS trying to get back to Glasgow. We used North West Airlines - $1086 each, went via Detroit/Amsterdam. It got us home a day later than planned but their in flight hospitality was great
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:08 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

We havn't been on for a while thanks to a knackered Nvidia chip and the prospect of sending our lap top back to the UK but thought I'd add to this thread as my very good friend was stranded in vancouver.....

OK so I'm not sure how this was paid for and believe me she was skint after a fortnight in Vancouver but to get home she had to fly to Edmonton....stay there for 6 hrs then fly to Montreal....Montreal to Boston...Boston to Glasgow then Glasgow to Gatwick I think she left left at 12 noon(Vancouver time) sunday from vancouver and she will land about 6pm Monday GMT if there are no delays!!!

Dont wanna seem cruel but it made me giggle....she went for a star gate convention??? and wouldnt let her hubbie visit us as it would cost to much!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hey stranger - me and sue were wondering where you'd been! how's alberta? pm me if you want.

anita x
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

We were due to fly home from Vancouver day after Zoom went bust. OH just happened to routinely check our next day flights after dinner, an hour or so after Zoom website put up its 'we're bust, you're on your own, try and get your money back from someone else' page. He sprung into action and we managed to get last four seats on a BA flight to Heathrow, which left two hours after our Zoom flight was supposed to leave for Gatwick. $3000 for four of us (ouch!). The website said that BA and Virgin would give discounts but there was nothing on their sites at that time. We have since found out these started from Monday - great ...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
We were due to fly home from Vancouver day after Zoom went bust. OH just happened to routinely check our next day flights after dinner, an hour or so after Zoom website put up its 'we're bust, you're on your own, try and get your money back from someone else' page. He sprung into action and we managed to get last four seats on a BA flight to Heathrow, which left two hours after our Zoom flight was supposed to leave for Gatwick. $3000 for four of us (ouch!). The website said that BA and Virgin would give discounts but there was nothing on their sites at that time. We have since found out these started from Monday - great ...
... Sorry, that should read £3,000 not $.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.