Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I know its negative but.....

I know its negative but.....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:06 am
  #31  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
Looks like a load of tosh to me, what ya been smoking?


To the OP, this is nothing like my experience of Canada. Been here 15 years and quite satisfied. I would say for us the lifestyle suits us, our standard of living is comfortable and I cannot foresee anything that would get us to move away from here. We immigrated just to try something different. If you are motivated to immigrate to Canada from the UK for anything else than change for the sake of change, you may be disappointed.

Immigration is a long hard process, getting the permits, moving and then several years of settling in, with ups and downs along the way. For it to have a chance of success you have to be committed (and along the way feel you may be).

The legal system is as dysfunctional as anywhere else, there is crime and inadequate punishment, job security is questionable, not enough vacation for some and remuneration is extremely varied, government cutback as in many other countries.

Financially, especially with the current exchange I doubt a new immigrant would see a gain.

What we like:
The diverse scenery, mountains, grasslands, desert, lakes, rivers, oceans, snow on the mountains (where it belongs). Having flown and driven the western provinces I never tire of the constantly changing vistas. We made an effort to get involved from the beginning, especially with volunteer work and have some great friends. We have found little pretense (other than from some Brit immigrants), it matter not how new your car is, how fancy your house is or if you dress casually (which we do on the west coast). The education system is fine, kids graduated with honours and seem as balanced as teenagers can be.

The flight from the UK is only 9 hours and we see more of relatives than when we were in the UK. Which I am not always sure is a good thing. Used to bring my mother over once a month at one point (until I think she saw too much of me). She says she saw and heard more from me than my brother who lived 20 minutes away, so did the MIL as well.

I don't give a stuff about Jaffa Cakes, Marmite, mustard or any other groceries we used to buy in the UK. We have what we have and judging by my waistline seems like we must be doing OK.

Immigration is what you make of it and depends on your expectations . If you want the same as you had in the UK, but an ocean away, ain't gonna happen.
I've been here 17 years and feel the much the same as you do. Actually until i started coming on here, I never really gave much thought to the UK. Happen when you've been here an extended period, you replace things with others and no longer pine for them.

My mother pointed out that she too speaks more to me than my brother who lives about 20 mins away.
dboy is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:09 am
  #32  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by jan the piglet View Post
<<snip>>
humans are not the same the world over - why don't you live amongst the Afghanistans and find out?
As for your spelling - it needs a lot of work.
I think you will find that it is Afghanis -

There really is no reason to be rude. I thought better of those from the Lakes, tusk, tusk.
dboy is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:12 am
  #33  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Green Hornet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

weather wise most of canada is not good and even the lower moanland (vancouver area) is pretty dark and dreary for the winter . if you like rain go to the westcoast if you like cold go north or east.

I have lived across canada but not in the maritimes which i understand is very nice . each place has the + & - to go with them and if you are the right fit you will be happy. If you are not then you will suffer.
did i mention the weather sucked
Green Hornet is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:17 am
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ann m's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 7,837
ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by Rob_999 View Post
  • Better weather - depends where in canada
  • Better run country - no, plus as an immigrant you have no vote until you get citizenship
  • Less crime - depends where you live, but no real different to the uk
  • More opportunities - depends what you do for a living. For your kids, who knows what the Canadian / UK economies will be doing in years to come
  • Living in a rural village near nice town - rural takes on a whole new meaning here, equivalent of where you live now doesn't really exist here.
  • Cost of living - depend where in canada, but on the whole it's pretty like for like
Immigrating to Canada to "escape" the UK is pretty pointless unless there's a draw to Canada for some reason.
3 housepoints and Gold Star
ann m is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:19 am
  #35  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ann m's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 7,837
ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by wannabecalgarypc View Post
I do hope though that one of the nice people on here give you the answer you are looking for like Ann M
I must be slipping but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.
ann m is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:22 am
  #36  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by jan the piglet View Post
put grandparents and friends at the top of the list - something money can't buy.
What's that, distance?
Aviator is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:32 am
  #37  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by ann m View Post
I must be slipping but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.
i thought he was your dad.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:15 am
  #38  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by Time 4 Change View Post
We are seriously considering emigrating, for the 'better life', we are not after perfect weather etc, but an actual better run country, with less crime and better opportunities for our family, we have been researching on the internet, but all you get is statistics, and statistics dont really tell us what we need to know, I would like the real truth, of the country, we currently live in a small rural village on the outskirts of a nice town, however everything seems to be getting 'taken over' and no where really feels safe anymore, is it just me or are there any 'safe' places left in the world. I have looked at Canada and most things say this is the place, but i really need to know!!! Can anyone help me?

xxx
I would stay in the UK and buy a burglar alarm. That should keep the villains out of your house, as well as the spacemen who I presume may be the ones doing the taking over.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:17 am
  #39  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,040
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
the usual suspects are having a go I see.
That's hardly fair, and while it could have been tackled with more sensitivity, the OP has trotted out the same old rhetoric of a failed Britain, a perception fed by the Daily Mail's diet of vapid celebrity worship and doom and gloom social commentary. If you want a "better life" the most obvious solution is to examine your personal situation. Retrain or enroll in further education, do more physical excise and eat better etc. rather than the easy option of blaming society for your desperation. And then to dismiss social statistics because they don't conflate with your perception is a bit much. I think this touches a nerve because it’s the same wooly logic I have to deal with at work.
Oink is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:28 am
  #40  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
That's hardly fair, and while it could have been tackled with more sensitivity, the OP has trotted out the same old rhetoric of a failed Britain, a perception fed by the Daily Mail's diet of vapid celebrity worship and doom and gloom social commentary. If you want a "better life" the most obvious solution is to examine your personal situation. Retrain or enroll in further education, do more physical excise and eat better etc. rather than the easy option of blaming society for your desperation. And then to dismiss social statistics because they don't conflate with your perception is a bit much. I think this touches a nerve because it’s the same wooly logic I have to deal with at work.
Thats easy to say when you don't have to deal with 'them' taking over.

We know the crime statistics aren't that different, but that's just facts and figures. On the streets we know that there is really 10 times as much crime in the UK when compared to here. You should be more understanding of the OP's situation.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:36 am
  #41  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
That's hardly fair, and while it could have been tackled with more sensitivity, the OP has trotted out the same old rhetoric of a failed Britain, a perception fed by the Daily Mail's diet of vapid celebrity worship and doom and gloom social commentary. If you want a "better life" the most obvious solution is to examine your personal situation. Retrain or enroll in further education, do more physical excise and eat better etc. rather than the easy option of blaming society for your desperation. And then to dismiss social statistics because they don't conflate with your perception is a bit much. I think this touches a nerve because it’s the same wooly logic I have to deal with at work.
I agree, but it seems that a number of folks on here, see such posts as objects of their own amusement and quite frankly you and others come off as being rude knobs to the uninitiated. The comments you made above would have been better.

The op's comments are typical of many who have bought into the 'grass is greener' mentality and the Daily Fail, the poster is, after all, new on here and it doesn't take much effort to be cordial, while making the same point.

Last edited by dboy; Jan 14th 2010 at 2:39 am.
dboy is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:54 am
  #42  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,040
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
I agree, but it seems that a number of folks on here, see such posts as objects of their own amusement and quite frankly you and others come off as being rude knobs to the uninitiated. The comments you made above would have been better.

The op's comments are typical of many who have bought into the 'grass is greener' mentality and the Daily Fail, the poster is, after all, new on here and it doesn't take much effort to be cordial, while making the same point.
It was post-modern rude knobbishness, steeped in irony.
Oink is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:00 am
  #43  
Just Joined
 
twotoast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Langdon, AB
Posts: 9
twotoast is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

We have been here since 2004, and although it is not paradise, we absolutely love it and would not return to the UK.

For example, when my parents came to visit (they are in their 60's) we were out wandering round the shops and malls, they said that they felt safe. If they saw youths running - it was because the youths were running - not mugging people, not intentionally bumping into people. Doors were held open for them, people smiled and were friendly.

Of course this did not happen all of the time, but it usually did. We came over from Birmingham, and people here do not know 'crowds' or 'busy' - even in Calgary! Crime here appears to be a lot lower - there are still burglaries and serious incidents, but not nearly as much as where we came from.

The quality of life here is fantastic and I can't think of anything that would persuade me to return to the UK. From a materialistic point of view, we have a lovely house and vehicles that we could never afford in the UK.

You may not get your perfect job when you arrive - I didn't, it took nearly two years to get a job that I really enjoy, but it was worth the wait.

It would be wrong to say that my life is a bed of roses and I leap out of bed each day counting my blessings and skipping down the street in excitement. But, I AM living the dream!

Good luck with whatever you chose!
twotoast is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:59 am
  #44  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
It was post-modern rude knobbishness, steeped in irony.
If you say so. Just a thick northern me. I'll shall humbly bow to your superiour wit and intellect.
dboy is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:41 am
  #45  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 701
wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of
Default Re: I know its negative but.....

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
the usual suspects are having a go I see.

Canada, like most other places in the world may or may not offer you a better life. Its really too subjective. Leaving for a perceived belief that crime does not exisit or its better run etc, will leave you disappointed. Better opportunities? Again subjective. Depends what you do, where you are in your career etc. Outside of cheaper houses in some areas, other costs are much the same.

et sounds like you live in a nicer area of the UK, you use the word nice so I suspect its not all bad in your corner of the world. Don't put too much stock in what others say - trust your own perceptions of the place.

Those that are 'pushed' from teh UK tend to fair worse than those who are pulled due to a liking of the place, career opportunties etc.

Canada can be better but it can also be worse. Moreover, rural living here is very different than the UK.

Look before you leap- good luck
very few people are 'pushed' out of the Uk. Most are 'pulled' to Canada by the alarmingly bold false advertising of the benefits of moving to Canada. There is a growing body of opinion, that immigrants to Canada will be the only source of growth for the Canadian economy. New immigrants are also the only hope by which the existing pension obligations can be funded. Not surprising therefore, that people will say anything to encourage immigration.

If you are being 'pushed' out of Britain, put Canada on your list, but not at the top of your list. Notice that there's a lot of 'maybe if' and 'depends on' qualifiers in posters recommending a permanent move.
wheatsheaf is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.