Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I hate Toronto

I hate Toronto

Old May 13th 2011, 3:09 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of
Default Re: I hate Toronto

Horrible place
Old May 13th 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

chriscanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GavinR
Horrible place
Favorite city, cant see myself ever leaving.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriscanada
Favorite city, cant see myself ever leaving.
Seconded. I think it really comes down to whether you're a country or city person. If you like cities, I can't see why you wouldn't like Toronto but, if you're a country boy/girl, I imagine you'd dislike it just as much as anywhere else with 5M residents.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Seconded. I think it really comes down to whether you're a country or city person. If you like cities, I can't see why you wouldn't like Toronto but, if you're a country boy/girl, I imagine you'd dislike it just as much as anywhere else with 5M residents.
I'm a city person. I think Toronto's ok for a medium sized typical North American city, indistinguishable in most respects from Chicago, but it's not special in any way. More Birmingham than London. It is quite near New York and Montreal though so if you want an urban break, need to feel a bit of pace, there are places to go. And, it's not so far to Buffalo or Detroit if you're a shopping sort of person.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by London Mike
Each to their own.
I was thinking the other day that there's such much diversity here and so many things to do it's incredible. On Sunday I went for a fab bike ride in the Beaches and then on Tuesday I went out to the charming town of Kleinburg just outside of TO to see the McMichael Collection of Canadian Art. Really, anyone interested in art has GOT to see the G7 ... amazing.
Again, each to their own.
I've never been to Toronto, so I'm not going to comment on that, but it did make me smile that the 2nd example given for the incredible variety of things to do in Toronto, involves leaving Toronto
Old May 13th 2011, 6:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I came to that conclusion in about 2 days... just too many people for me. Nice to visit occasionally. Nicer to get back to my backwater afterwards. YMMV.
Two weeks, at least two days of which you are sat on the 401, 400 and/or Hwy 7 in Markham. The traffic put me off moving there. The other thing was that it's too much like the UK, why bother moving.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
There we go, it's out there. Couldn't keep it in any longer.

What an awful place! Busy, expensive with rude natives. All of the touted attractions were a let down, aside from the ferry back to Billy Bishop, that was great, as I was delighted to be getting out of that hell-hole after two weeks touring the city with work.

Would rather move back to the UK and go and live in Birmingham or Bradistan.

Rant over!
You weren't the annoying english numpty at Louis Wings who wanted to chat about basketball were you?
Old May 13th 2011, 6:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You weren't the annoying english numpty at Louis Wings who wanted to chat about basketball were you?
You'll fit right in in Toronto.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
I've never been to Toronto, so I'm not going to comment on that, but it did make me smile that the 2nd example given for the incredible variety of things to do in Toronto, involves leaving Toronto
Toronto is a dull tourist destination.

People who visit me ask,"Why Toronto" and it's best put like this:

Toronto is crap to visit but nice to live in the same way that London is nice to visit but crap to live.

I personally enjoy my quality of life in the city versus other places I have lived.

However to visit Toronto for two weeks on holiday is simply stupid. I think with the exception of London, New York and Tokyo I would be fed up in any city as there is simply not enough to do.

Also why should the locals be nice to you? You are just another english person on holiday- ten a penny and certainly nothing special.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Steve_
Two weeks, at least two days of which you are sat on the 401, 400 and/or Hwy 7 in Markham. The traffic put me off moving there. The other thing was that it's too much like the UK, why bother moving.
Mmmmmm........the highway traffic in and around Toronto is not good.

But let's be honest there is like fifty times more stuff to do in Toronto than Calgary. Calgary should be twinned with Milton Keynes.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Toronto is a dull tourist destination.

People who visit me ask,"Why Toronto" and it's best put like this:

Toronto is crap to visit but nice to live in the same way that London is nice to visit but crap to live.

I personally enjoy my quality of life in the city versus other places I have lived.

However to visit Toronto for two weeks on holiday is simply stupid. I think with the exception of London, New York and Tokyo I would be fed up in any city as there is simply not enough to do.

Also why should the locals be nice to you? You are just another english person on holiday- ten a penny and certainly nothing special.
A bit of common decency?
Old May 13th 2011, 7:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Oink
A bit of common decency?
For an english person with a bad attitude........
Old May 13th 2011, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

morungos is an unknown quantity at this point

I *love* living in Toronto. I get to see Queens Park from my office window, work 15 minutes from my house by subway, and live and work within minutes of great restaurants and wonderful things to do and see. We get Nuit Blanche, TIFF, Pride Week and Caribana, the ROM and the AGO, High Park, and the island. Not to mention all the great communities around the city, each of which has its own identity and distinctive charms.

I find Torontonians are usually very nice. They are sometimes pretty direct, but it is rare to see rudeness. People do tend to say what they mean. That was a bit of culture shock moving from the UK, where people would often avoid saying what they mean, but I actually kind of appreciate it now.

Yes, there are many other great places to live in Canada and elsewhere, but if you don't like the density of people and culture in Toronto, there's no need to hate on a place because your preferences are different to other people's.
Old May 13th 2011, 7:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the locals pronounce it trawna. Does anybody know of a more ridiculous affectation for a place name in Canada?
Old May 13th 2011, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morungos
I find Torontonians are usually very nice. They are sometimes pretty direct, but it is rare to see rudeness.
Go to the Hooker Harvey's at Jarvis and Gerrard. Don't give anything to the meth crazed beggar on the NW corner. There's your rudeness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.