Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I became a Canadian today!!!

I became a Canadian today!!!

Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I became a Canadian today!!!

Originally Posted by TrishB
I applied November last year, so you should probably hear something very soon!
Oh really? Excellent. Maybe it won't be much longer then. Again congrats on becoming Canadian!

And Mr PGtips? Don't try take away the moment. I imagine being quite excited when my citizenship arrives as clearly TrishB is!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:36 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for trying to put a damper on my big day - typical Brit.
As I said, I became a Canadian! I moved to this country and have immersed myself in the culture, the people and environment.
So you were baptized in the culture ? When I go on holiday to spain I enjot having paella, a siesta and even speaking a bit of spannish, does that make me Spannish ?

You are a brit living in Canada, not the other way around. When a true Canadian moves to the UK do they all of a sdden say they are British ? Of course not, because they are proud of their Canadian roots.
Your roots are embedded in Britain, stand tall and proud, and be a good ambassador for Britain in Canada.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:41 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Oh really? Excellent. Maybe it won't be much longer then. Again congrats on becoming Canadian!

And Mr PGtips? Don't try take away the moment. I imagine being quite excited when my citizenship arrives as clearly TrishB is!
You hit the nail on the head. Her Citizenship arrived, not her Canadian.
I also congratualte her on gaining her second citizenship. Well done.
If she has children born in Canada they will be Canadian.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
So you were baptized in the culture ? When I go on holiday to spain I enjot having paella, a siesta and even speaking a bit of spannish, does that make me Spannish ?

You are a brit living in Canada, not the other way around. When a true Canadian moves to the UK do they all of a sdden say they are British ? Of course not, because they are proud of their Canadian roots.
Your roots are embedded in Britain, stand tall and proud, and be a good ambassador for Britain in Canada.
God you're pathetic - bet you stole little kids' candy when you were younger!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

You hit the nail on the head. Her Citizenship arrived, not her Canadian.
I also congratualte her on gaining her second citizenship. Well done.
Triple citizenship as I'm also Irish. So, my roots aren't as embedded in British culture as you assumed!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:59 pm

Triple citizenship as I'm also Irish. So, my roots aren't as embedded in British culture as you assumed!
THANK YOU, you finally get it !!!! I must say I love the Irish, they are a proud people and never forget who they are, love them to bits for this as well as the accent.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Both my kids were born here, but they are british as much as they are canadian!

Besides, much of canadian culture, government, history etc can be traced back to european settlers anyway, so its hardly an issue.

Seems like someone pissed on pgtips cornflakes this morning or something. Anyway, time to move on I think.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

So you were baptized in the culture ? When I go on holiday to spain I enjot having paella, a siesta and even speaking a bit of spannish, does that make me Spannish ? No, It makes you a tourist. One in need of a phrase book. An English one.
You are a brit living in Canada, not the other way around. When a true Canadian moves to the UK do they all of a sdden say they are British ? Of course not, because they are proud of their Canadian roots. Do you work for the Daily Mail, or summat?
Your roots are embedded in Britain, stand tall and proud, and be a good ambassador for Britain in Canada. You are Nick Griffin and I claim my five pounds
You really are a gift on a Friday.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy
You really are a gift on a Friday.
Thank you, compliments are always welcome. But Nick Griffin definately not.
Although Brit born, I also qualify for 3 other nationalities through descent and marriage. So I know what it is like to be new to a country and longing for acceptance. The Irony is the thing the Canadians like about you guys is your British quirkiness, they certainly don'y want more of Canadian blandness.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Although Brit born, I also qualify for 3 other nationalities through descent and marriage. So I know what it is like to be new to a country and longing for acceptance. The Irony is the thing the Canadians like about you guys is your British quirkiness, they certainly don'y want more of Canadian blandness.
Canadian blandness. Ah yes.

How I long to once again see whales in the Thames Estuary; to ski on the South Downs; to have nine pints a curry and a fight (and that's just lunchtime); to go wassailing.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You are speaking for canadians now? And yet by your argument you cant be a canadian

The cradle Canadians I know are unlikely to self identify as "bland" anyway!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
You are speaking for canadians now? And yet by your argument you cant be a canadian

The cradle Canadians I know are unlikely to self identify as "bland" anyway!
You have a point, I admit bland may have been a bad choice of word.

It's hard to describe but brits have a buzz about them that canadians by and large don't. Maybe it goes back to their conquering and inquisitive spirit.
You have to admit brits have a certain mystique about them and by and large people all over the world are still fascinated by Britain.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

It's hard to describe but brits have a buzz about them that canadians by and large don't. Maybe it goes back to their conquering and inquisitive spirit.
You have to admit brits have a certain mystique about them and by and large people all over the world are still fascinated by Britain.
Maybe that's why I feel at home as a Canadian...

The few people I have met who expressed an interest mostly wondered about the royal family and the dreary weather.

My wife was the exception, she was impressed because I was the first englishman she had met who she didnt think was an arsehole within 5 minutes of him opening his mouth.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:44 pm
Slob

A buzz? What on earth are you talking about?

I think you'll find that most of the "exciting" Brits have been Scots, BTW.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy
A buzz? What on earth are you talking about?

I think you'll find that most of the "exciting" Brits have been Scots, BTW.
You know what, you guys have got a point !!! Maybe it is all the bloody immigrants myself included which have made this such a diverse and dynamic place. I must admit I did feel at home when in Toronto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.