Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I am getting Itchy Feet......

I am getting Itchy Feet......

Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:20 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all
Default Re: I am getting Itchy Feet......

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Bit much of a generalization. Lots of immigrants are doing better in Canada, ourselves included. It took a while of ups and downs, but the opportunities in Canada for us anyway were much better than the UK.
It was'nt meant as a generalization, opportunities in Uk for going back to College are excellent, compared to any other country and cheaper student fees with no Interest.
I think the key is getting it right, where you move to, that's all. Theres allot of advantages to living here, just money is not one of them for us at the moment.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishsamx
It was'nt meant as a generalization, opportunities in Uk for going back to College are excellent, compared to any other country and cheaper student fees with no Interest.
I think the key is getting it right, where you move to, that's all. Theres allot of advantages to living here, just money is not one of them for us at the moment.
So what was it that attracted you to NS, surely it wasn`t purely the opportunity to own a large house?

Have you researched the availability of all you seek in the areas to which you are looking to relocate?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:49 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So what was it that attracted you to NS, surely it wasn`t purely the opportunity to own a large house?

Have you researched the availability of all you seek in the areas to which you are looking to relocate?
No, it was'nt just buying a big house

I already said there allot of advantages to living here, that's the reason I don't want to leave Canada.
We will be researching and visiting different provinces for at least a year, before we make up our minds.
Now we are here and PR s , we can do this at our leisure, something that of course could'nt be done from Uk.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:53 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should consider changing your avatar location. Doesn't sound like you are loving it here.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Maybe you should consider changing your avatar location. Doesn't sound like you are loving it here.
No thanks, the only problem I have is financial
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

No, it was'nt just buying a big house

I already said there allot of advantages to living here, that's the reason I don't want to leave Canada.
We will be researching and visiting different provinces for at least a year, before we make up our minds.
Now we are here and PR s , we can do this at our leisure, something that of course could'nt be done from Uk.
Apologies if you took my post to sound critical, that wasn`t my intention.

I always assumed that those that move to the Maritime Provinces knew that work opportunities/ability to earn high salaries were more limited than in other areas, hence properties being cheaper.

Best of luck with your plans.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I always assumed that those that move to the Maritime Provinces knew that work opportunities/ability to earn high salaries were more limited than in other areas, hence properties being cheaper.

I agree..but...it's one thing to read/hear that and another thing to experience it, no? And there's always the hope it will be different for you.

However, there's a reason why cradles aren't going to the Maritimes in droves. It mainly seems to pull in British Expats.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:46 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's true there is not as much work here as say Toronto or Vancouver, but keep trying and you will find something. It's definately 'who you know' not 'what you know' here in the Maritimes.
Before we moved here to NS, we knew we would be earning less and we knew there was not as much job availability, but we moved here anyway because we wanted something 'different' from England.
When we first moved 3 years ago, OH got offered a job in IT within the first week. It was not a great company and the pay was totally shite compared to what he earnt in the UK. He took it though as we needed to buy a house and get the kids settled in an area before school started again.
We got in a ton of debt and nearly sold up and moved back last year. OH went into a great depression and our marriage nearly fell apart.
Well, we stayed, we kept our house and OH found a new job in IT working for an excellent company with better salary.
We started climbing out of debt and enjoying life again.
He has been headhunted by a larger company for the past year and they finally made an offer he couldn't refuse. So he now earns comparable to what he did in England.
It's taken 3 years of hard work, dedication and alot of networking.

You can make it work here but it does take more time than it would've elsewhere in Canada, I'm sure.

Good luck
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:12 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Hi Irishsamx

I was very sad to read your post . You were going through your application as I embarked on my journey and so was pleased for you when you got your PR.

I hope you and your OH manage to work something out and settle somewhere you both want to be. Are you going to be able to look elsewhere in Canada? I thought if you were sponsored by a province that you had to stay there??

Anyway good luck with everything.

Rubie

x
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
no we haven't considered NF, reason being , we have Musician friends here that are from there. They left I think for similar reasons as to why we want to leave NS. Too small too, I mean not enough people there. We really want to be near a City.
thanks for the suggestion though
Well, St. John's is a bit bigger than Truro but it's certainly no big city. One can see the attractions of a larger urban centre for a visit at least. Not sure that I want to live in one myself but each to their own.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to the op.this was my fear of ns,I'm an industrial spark and where there were good opportunities,they seemed to be in some pretty remote locations!!the property prices were awesome though,we could be mortgage free and be living on a ranch for what our uk house is worth but apart from Halifax it all looked a bit too rural for us.

After reading a few threads on here I think we'll have to really make sure financially it's right for us as I'm shocked to hear people on this forum struggling to survive on can$ 60000,I always thought Canada was a reasonably cheap place to live(compared to salary of course)?

Is it just certain areas then or is there really that much variation across the country?my employees uncle lives in chilliwack and claims it's very cheapto live,yet I believe it's not far from Calgary which i've heard is very expensive?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vaughant
my employees uncle lives in chilliwack and claims it's very cheapto live,yet I believe it's not far from Calgary which i've heard is very expensive?
Pretty close. Different Province and about 1000km's close, however

You need to treat yourself to a map
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Sam, sorry to hear things are not working out as you'd planned... it was really nice to meet you and see your lovely house last year, it's a shame to hear you're struggling a bit

Money is the thing I worry about most.. emigrating without a job is such a step into the unknown that it's scary, and I do worry what we do if we can't earn enough money. I have found it a concern the types of income that have been suggested in posts on the forum recently to live on... makes me get cold feet! But then again you never know till you try so I'm not changing my mind.

At least it is easier to move now you're there... I really would have thought a wee cafe would have worked well in NS though.. but then again I don't know about rental costs etc!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Pretty close. Different Province and about 1000km's close, however

You need to treat yourself to a map
heh. Yeah, Chilliwhack is much closer to Vancouver than Calgary
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vaughant
After reading a few threads on here I think we'll have to really make sure financially it's right for us as I'm shocked to hear people on this forum struggling to survive on can$ 60000,I always thought Canada was a reasonably cheap place to live(compared to salary of course)?
If you search various posts, you'll find the consensus overall is that the cost of living here is generally comparable to the UK - some things cheaper, others dearer, overall a wash. Taking that into account, you need a salary that's comparable to the UK in order to have a similar lifestyle.

Here are my regular basic monthly bills:

Hydro (electricity) $225
Auto insurance (2 cars) $190
Bell (TV) $120
Xplornet (internet) $60
Property tax $225
Telus (phone) $50
Gas (petrol - just one vehicle commuting) $250
Groceries $650
Home insurance $150

Total = $1,920

I've no kids, mortgage, car payments or other debt, so you may need to factor in those costs too. Once you add in some entertainment, $ for property maintenance and the inevitable unexpected expenditures that crop up, you can figure what sort of net take-home pay you need to survive on.

My net income is a fraction under $50k, gross is $70k. Bi-weekly I take home $1,800 - the tax man, pension scheme, extended health provider etc etc takes the difference.

Last edited by R I C H; Aug 11th 2010 at 9:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.