Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Huntsville, Bracebridge & Gravenhurst Ontario

Huntsville, Bracebridge & Gravenhurst Ontario

Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future
Default Re: Huntsville, Bracebridge & Gravenhurst Ontario

Thanks very much, fingers crossed hubby can find a job and we find the place we are after.

DC
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

Hi there, my husband and I went to Ontario on a recce in 2007 and we had narrowed down the area we thought we´d like to live in to places east of Toronto so we hired an RV and drove to Peterborough, Belleville and Kingston. Peterborough and Belleville seemed nice enough but we totally fell in love with Kingston hich is why we´re hoping to move there in December. Providing we have PR by then, which we should.
Kingston really is lovely and we´re looking for the same thing you are (a house with a bit of land...and a fishing pond if my husband has anything to do with it!). I am sure that you will find affordable properties in the greater Kingston area. Kingston has everything you need, cinemas, clubs, bars, restaurants, a marina, apparently a new shopping centre and so forth.
Hope this helps, we can´t wait to move there!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Muskoka since january 09 and I love it here, so much to do in the summer months, camping, atving, wakeboarding etc In the winter it is alot quieter and sometimes it's nice to visit the city to experience a busier town and for a little more 'life' though I suppose it depends what you enjoy in terms of hobbies etc. Having said that I just spent the weekend in Toronto and I couldn't wait to get back up north away from the crowds and traffic.

Like everyone else said, do find a job first, unless you want to work in the tourism or construction industries there isn't much else which can be depressing at times. I do like though that you are only an hour from Barrie and two from Toronto if you do want to do shopping as there is nothing decent clothes wise here! Plus you are close to highway 11 unlike Minden where you have to drive all the slow back roads.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Thanks Zoe,

My OH is in construction and in the job bank there are always jobs listed in his field which is one of the reasons we chose muskoka. Whereabouts are you?

We have a 16year old is there much for him to do?

Many thanks
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - I'm a born & bred Muskokan (err, though I live in the U.K. mostly). Heading back home in two weeks. Anyway, Gravenhurst is a really very quiet town & I'd say truthfully not much good to a couple of teenagers as not much to do. Though that's where all my friends are. Also, as a true Muskokan I always get offered work when I go over BUT its only short term work. Trust me, I;ve known folk over there for 50 years & nobody, but nobody know how long their job is going to last. There's little manufacturing in the area and most folk have a little home based business. Gravenhurst for some reason dosen't seem to promote industry, and/or commercial development, which is a shame as its a lovely old town. Gravenhurst does has a new area called 'The Wharf', which I don't think is hugely successful by any standards and its now difficult to actually take a walk lakeside. Have to say also its pretty naff for shopping - two supermarkets now,but not much there. Lots of stores in the main street only last a very short period of time. Having said that the people are amazing. Its truly like stepping back in time 30 years. When I go there, I have my faith in humanity restored. Fab community spirit. When you pop into a shop, you don't just buy something, you have a half hour chat with the staff/other shoppers at the same time. Gravenhurst is very much tourist driven

Bracebridge - is more developed. Though the main street is err, quite a big hill. I don't like that myself. Lots of nice, old century homes.

Huntsville I'd say is the place to go (bout an hour north of Gravenhurst). Developed hugely over the last 10 years, lots of industry & business. Lots of stuff there all round and bit cheaper as its further north. Probably the best option for an ex-pat

Check the place out mid-winter. You may be horrified by driving in a white-out. Its more spooky than you can imagine

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH - DEFINITELY GET A JOB FIRST!

For public transport (if you arent getting a car at the airport). Theres the Northlander train - leaves TO once a day (08.40a.m. 6 days a week), heads north. OR you can get a bus twice a day (Northern Airport Service) as far as North Bay if you want & rent car locally.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:24 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Hi - I'm a born & bred Muskokan (err, though I live in the U.K. mostly). Heading back home in two weeks. Anyway, Gravenhurst is a really very quiet town & I'd say truthfully not much good to a couple of teenagers as not much to do. Though that's where all my friends are. Also, as a true Muskokan I always get offered work when I go over BUT its only short term work. Trust me, I;ve known folk over there for 50 years & nobody, but nobody know how long their job is going to last. There's little manufacturing in the area and most folk have a little home based business. Gravenhurst for some reason dosen't seem to promote industry, and/or commercial development, which is a shame as its a lovely old town. Gravenhurst does has a new area called 'The Wharf', which I don't think is hugely successful by any standards and its now difficult to actually take a walk lakeside. Have to say also its pretty naff for shopping - two supermarkets now,but not much there. Lots of stores in the main street only last a very short period of time. Having said that the people are amazing. Its truly like stepping back in time 30 years. When I go there, I have my faith in humanity restored. Fab community spirit. When you pop into a shop, you don't just buy something, you have a half hour chat with the staff/other shoppers at the same time. Gravenhurst is very much tourist driven

Bracebridge - is more developed. Though the main street is err, quite a big hill. I don't like that myself. Lots of nice, old century homes.

Huntsville I'd say is the place to go (bout an hour north of Gravenhurst). Developed hugely over the last 10 years, lots of industry & business. Lots of stuff there all round and bit cheaper as its further north. Probably the best option for an ex-pat

Check the place out mid-winter. You may be horrified by driving in a white-out. Its more spooky than you can imagine

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH - DEFINITELY GET A JOB FIRST!

For public transport (if you arent getting a car at the airport). Theres the Northlander train - leaves TO once a day (08.40a.m. 6 days a week), heads north. OR you can get a bus twice a day (Northern Airport Service) as far as North Bay if you want & rent car locally.
Very well put ! I don't know how you could make it any clearer.
When I lived in Oakville I enjoyed many happy times at Walkers Point so I know Gravenhurst quite well. I wouldn't want to be a newbie with a young family, looking for work and moving there.
You didn't mention what is likely the town's main claim to fame, The Bethune House.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Bethune House. What about the dock on Gull lake on a summer afternoon listening to the band? That is one glorious sunny Sunday afternoon

Trust me. I've got a very large pot of money & if I thought I could secure all year round employment I'd be living there & not in the U.K. Its very, very tough over there in the winter. Work is given to the locals & is by word of mouth. To go as an ex-pat is brave, but I do feel risky. Would be far better/more secure to start off closer to TO somewhere & then move out to the Muskokas when you know your way around a bit better. However, whatever you do, best of luck

Last edited by Muskoka; Aug 10th 2010 at 8:10 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great info, huntsville we were looking at mainly as the job prospects look better. All a bit daunting but also quite exciting at the same time!!

Thanks once again

DC
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

sjmartin is on a distinguished road

I lived in Toronto for one year before moving up to Bracebridge last December.

The scenery is breathtaking however, the winters I hear can be harsh. My suggestion would be to live not too far out of any of the towns given the winters.

My preference of the three towns is Bracebridge (for fear of offended those in Huntsville and Gravenhurst!) it has a nicer feel to it for lack of a better explanation.

Good luck in your choices, pm me if you require any further info, having done the whole process ourselves.

Sarah-Jane
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sarah-Jane

No offence taken by me. I actually prefer Huntsville, but my support network (friends) are pretty much all in Gravenhurst, hence I always base myself in Gravenhurst.

I'm heading out to Baysville today to the cottage, so hopefully the weather will improve a bit

Bottom line is 'Anywhere in Muskoka' is fab!

Last edited by Muskoka; Aug 27th 2010 at 2:51 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

sjmartin is on a distinguished road

Glad I didn't offend the locals Have a great weekend, the weather is gonna be awesome
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies we are getting really excited about the recce and planning our route! Going to Huntsville area first for a few days.

Thanks once again

DC