Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How's the IT job market in Toronto now?

How's the IT job market in Toronto now?

Old Aug 7th 2002, 3:46 pm
Adam

Default Re: How's the IT job market in Toronto now?

The job market in general is not good due to the slow down of economy. So, demand for
new projects is low and is the job market. People with strong skills will still be
in demand. But, for standard common skills, do not expect a job the second day you
land. I know someone who has about 7 years of experience (business + IT). He could
not get a job in Canada after an extensive one-month job search. He is a consultant.
The other problem is that Toronto seems the target of lots of new immigrants. You
might consider looking for a job in some other places too.

Manish <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > IF you are in IT and have Experience in Teaching you will not have problems to get
    > a job in Toronto.
    > Here is a case for you: One of my friend who was Network engineer, 11 years Exp
    > (India 8 years US 3 years) landed in Canada, Toronto Feb 2002 and with in 2 months
    > he got a job as Computer Instructor 25 $ hour in Private Computer Institutes and
    > then he taught in different computer Institutes and networked with students and
    > recently opened his Computer training institute. His Certifications: MCSE 2000,
    > MCSE NT.4, MCT, CNI, CNE.5, CCNA,
    > I hope if one try for alternatives one can get a job in Toronto or create it
    > for self.
    > --

Old Aug 7th 2002, 9:00 pm
Kumar

> - --
    > SEX is like SOFTWARE - It's better when it's free ... [c] L.Torvalds

SEX is like SOFTWARE - It's better when it's free of Aids (bugs)!!

Old Aug 8th 2002, 3:27 pm
Hani

Thomas, Could you please explain to us how did you rank the the Middle East along
with Australia and the UK?? (in terms of, if you presently live there, then it's not
worthwhile coming to Canada).

Thanks, Hani.

thomas_cook <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The job scenario is hellish.
    > Getting a good job (the type of jobs people who go to America get) is simply
    > impossible in canada(for a person without a canadian degree), odds being roughly
    > the same as winning a lottery.
    > Its common knowledge that Toronto has the most highly educated taxi drivers in
    > the world.
    > People who worked as respectable doctors, engineers ,CAs in their home country end
    > updriving cabs here, and they are the relatively lucky ones. The unlucky ones end
    > up scrubbing floors or washing vessels in restaurant kitchens.
    > Whether u will be better off in canada or not depends primarily from where u r
    > coming from:
    > If u currently live in india pakistan then inspite of hardships here i still think
    > u will be MUCH BETTER OFF living in canada, at least 10 to 15 times better off
    > (esp if u have young kids - children lead heavenly lives over here, unlike kids in
    > india who's life is a living hell thanks to an insanely idiotic education system).
    > On the other hand if u presently live in say UK australia middle east then i
    > really dont think its worthwhile coming to canada, at least not untill the economy
    > picks up.
    > --

Old Aug 8th 2002, 3:35 pm
Hani

This is such an interesting discussion.

What about Nova Scotia? I know that this is one of the most gorgeous places to live
in (both in terms of the beauty of the place, and the people over there).

Is this a totally dead area job-wise (IT in particular)?

Thanks, Hani.

booky8 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I search the online job site, seems there are a lot of new IT jobs coming up since
    > July. But I also heard a news that when 150 jobs opening in a factory with
    > 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and start waiting
    > outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is that true about
    > this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now. How about the IT
    > job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but I am really worry
    > about the job and career there.
    > Also seems Alberta has the lowest unemploy rate? what make it this lucky, and why
    > the people not go there for a fortune?
    > Any input are welcome. Thank you.
    > --

Old Aug 8th 2002, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

ms1234567 is an unknown quantity at this point

The standard of living in cities like Dubai is extremely high. Being a tax free country, the United Arab Emirates is very rich, with lots of services and luxury, that one can't even find in the US.
Also being an expat here, you could earn much more money than any other western country.
Many people come to this place to put money aside and enjoy an incomparable luxury.
Of course, this place has its drawbacks. There is no culture, and your rights are slightly more limited than anywhere else. You can't own your house. But for a short term plan, living in Dubai is not bad at all, if not excellent.

MS
Old Aug 10th 2002, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

thomas_cook is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rags
Regarding ur reply to my post, I really meant that the indian education system places a heavy burden on young children.
In addition to school , they have to attend tuitions , then do school h/w then tuition h/w then study till late into the night, constantly face tests, exams,..All this at a v young age.All this stress leaves the child physically & mentally exhausted.Dont u agree this is unnecc stress that can be avoided?
U wrote about IIT, IIm but do rem that india is a nation of 1 billion people. Just a handful of good institutues is not enough.
U said that schools in india r better then schools in USA.my dear, let me tell u that a class in a school in india has 60 -75 students not 20 students as in USA.Also the teachers r least interested in doing agood job. Schoolbuses here r not anything at all like what u have in the states.Not that i am complaining, i mean what else can u expect in a poor country when education is almost free.
So do u mind telling me how on earth u believe schools in india r better than US schools?
Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:48 am
Kks

thomas_cook <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Rags Regarding ur reply to my post, I really meant that the indian education
    > system places a heavy burden on young children. In addition to school , they have
    > to attend tuitions , then do school
    > h/w then tuition h/w then study till late into the night, constantly face tests,
    > exams,..All this at a v young age.All this stress leaves the child physically &
    > mentally exhausted.Dont u agree this is unnecc stress that can be avoided? U
    > wrote about IIT, IIm but do rem that india is a nation of 1 billion people. Just
    > a handful of good institutues is not enough. U said that schools in india r
    > better then schools in USA.my dear, let me tell u that a class in a school in
    > india has 60 -75 students not 20 students as in USA.Also the teachers r least
    > interested in doing agood job. Schoolbuses here r not anything at all like what u
    > have in the states.Not that i am complaining, i mean what else can u expect in a
    > poor country when education is almost free. So do u mind telling me how on earth
    > u believe schools in india r better than US schools?

Thomas, I agree with you, schools in India do have 60-70 ppl in a class and the
education system is rather bad in India. There is one thing however which I would
like to point out, and that is the big "digital divide" One hand we have some schools
colleges which are elite and excellent and on the other hand we have poor school. so
it really depends on how much you earn! Some Engineering institutes are the best in
the world! but only a few people can afford them. So I belive that education is very
nice for some and in some institutions but very very bad in some and sadly the
percentage of bad schools is higher. Its about 80%

Cheers KKS