British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How's the IT job market in Toronto now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/hows-job-market-toronto-now-110171/)

booky8 Aug 5th 2002 6:43 am

How's the IT job market in Toronto now?

I search the online job site, seems there are a lot of new IT jobs coming up since July. But I also heard a news that when 150 jobs opening in a factory with 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and start waiting outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is that true about this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now. How about the IT job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but I am really worry about the job and career there.

Also seems Alberta has the lowest unemploy rate? what make it this lucky, and why the people not go there for a fortune?

Any input are welcome.
Thank you.

Jp Jehu Aug 5th 2002 4:20 pm

Re: How's the IT job market in Toronto now?

Things are still pretty bad for all sectors, as far as I know in TO. The IT sector is
still in limbo and no change in view. Chances of finding a job are very slim. I know
a lot of people who after one year are still looking for a job. And most of them are
Canadians with Canadian education and experience. As for those who still have a job,
business is generally soft and more layoffs and business closures are occurring every
day. I would not land now but would advice to wait a couple of years.

"booky8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I search the online job site, seems there are a lot of new IT jobs coming up since
    > July. But I also heard a news that when 150 jobs opening in a factory with
    > 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and start waiting
    > outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is that true about
    > this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now. How about the IT
    > job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but I am really worry
    > about the job and career there.
    >
    > Also seems Alberta has the lowest unemploy rate? what make it this lucky, and why
    > the people not go there for a fortune?
    >
    > Any input are welcome. Thank you.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

The Wizzard Aug 5th 2002 6:20 pm

and like they said there is low unemployment in places in alberta, the problem is
that almost all the new immigrants immediatley go to Toronto/vancouver/montreal, so
the job markets are saturated there with immigrants. this is why the immigration
minister was trying to think up some way to get immigrants to spread out a bit. i
know several people who have headed to Calgary area and said it is really nice there
and not too hard to find a job.

"JP Jehu" <jpjehuhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Things are still pretty bad for all sectors, as far as I know in TO. The
IT
    > sector is still in limbo and no change in view. Chances of finding a job
are
    > very slim. I know a lot of people who after one year are still looking for
a
    > job. And most of them are Canadians with Canadian education and
experience.
    > As for those who still have a job, business is generally soft and more layoffs and
    > business closures are occurring every day. I would not land
now
    > but would advice to wait a couple of years.
    >
    > "booky8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I search the online job site, seems there are a lot of new IT jobs coming up
    > > since July. But I also heard a news that when 150 jobs opening in a factory with
    > > 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and start waiting
    > > outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is that true
    > > about this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now. How about
    > > the IT job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but I am
    > > really worry about the job and career there.
    > >
    > > Also seems Alberta has the lowest unemploy rate? what make it this lucky, and why
    > > the people not go there for a fortune?
    > >
    > > Any input are welcome. Thank you.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    >

levu Aug 5th 2002 6:59 pm

There's little point in going to Toronto right now...there are already thousands of other immigrants there who are unemployed in the IT business. This industry is flat world-wide right now, in Canada its especially bad since canada has so many immigrants that its job market is particularly flooded.

You might try landing in an area outside of Toronto where the job market is a little less saturated.....you might think about changing career though, IT isn't a good place to be.

Philip Street Aug 5th 2002 10:20 pm

British Columbia sucks big time at the moment for IT unless you have every cert under
the sun and 5 years experience.

Vancouver is saturated as well as Victoria with Techs , programmers and web
developers. There are a few tech schools that keep pumping out grads into a market
where there is no such thing as entry level positions any more.

The people that do get hired end up being payed 8 bucks an hour for tech support.

If you have all the certs imaginable and at least 5 years of experience in most of
the certs you hold then the chances of getting a job are better.

"booky8" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I search the online job site, seems there are a lot of new IT jobs coming up since
    > 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and start waiting
    > outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is that true about
    > this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now. How about the IT
    > job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but I am really worry
    >
    > Also seems Alberta has the lowest unemploy rate? what make it this lucky, and why
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Casualtyofimmig Aug 6th 2002 3:20 am

booky8 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
Times are tough here. All those postings are just resume harvesting with bogus
jobs. Canada never had a booming IT industry like the US or even India... in the
first place.

When you come you will meet several hundred jobless skilled immigrants especially
IT guys (from hardware, to software, embedded, erp, etc.).. and you risk being
turned into one.

The skilled program is a cover story for Canada's need for factory workers just to
keeping the taxes rolling in to cover the expensive medical bills of people like
Andrew Miller and several other people...etc.

Since u can stay out for 3 years, I suggest you use that. I gave up a good job and
ended in shit here. (I can here people saying now.. that immigration is not about
finding the job u want.. rather making a better living. Yeah, there are very little
odd jobs even. Some better life this shit is..).

good luck.

Jason Brown Aug 6th 2002 6:21 am

> coming up since July. But I also heard a news that when 150 jobs opening in a
    > factory with 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and
    > start waiting outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is
    > that true about this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now.
Horrible... it is your worst nightmare mate. I am UK educated, US experienced,
+ certifications... I am a cleaner in Toronto... The factory thing is true..
Recently, a security electronics equipment factory close to Yorkdale mall
advertised for 300 positions. It is as you described several 100s turned up. They
stayed overnight.. within a couple of hours all 300 positions filled up.

>How about the IT job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but I
    >am really worry about the job and career there.
If you are facing political persecution in your country, then come to Canada as a
refugee since Canada accepts genuine refugees. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble.
Wait for three years and then try. Hopefully the economy will improve. IT field is
getting desecrated everywhere in Canada.. especially the big cities.

I know u must be saying at the back of your mind..'but, but it just might work for
me' or 'people are coming to Canada in containers, so when I get a visa given to me,
why should I not go there' or 'but God might just give me a chance'... (God in Canada
is the US economy...!!!)

These are the thoughts that go through every would be immigrant.. and most of them
end up scavenging..

good luck.

thomas_cook Aug 6th 2002 10:51 am

The job scenario is hellish.

Getting a good job (the type of jobs people who go to America get) is simply impossible in canada(for a person without a canadian degree), odds being roughly the same as winning a lottery.

Its common knowledge that Toronto has the most highly educated taxi drivers in the world.

People who worked as respectable doctors, engineers ,CAs in their home country end updriving cabs here, and they are the relatively lucky ones. The unlucky ones end up scrubbing floors or washing vessels in restaurant kitchens.

Whether u will be better off in canada or not depends primarily from where u r coming from:

If u currently live in india pakistan then inspite of hardships here i still think u will be MUCH BETTER OFF living in canada, at least 10 to 15 times better off (esp if u have young kids - children lead heavenly lives over here, unlike kids in india who's life is a living hell thanks to an insanely idiotic education system). On the other hand if u presently live in say UK australia middle east then i really dont think its worthwhile coming to canada, at least not untill the economy picks up.

Bodza Bodza Aug 6th 2002 1:20 pm

[email protected] (CasualtyOfImmigration) wrote:
    >Times are tough here. All those postings are just resume harvesting with bogus jobs.

True enough.

>Canada never had a booming IT industry like the US or even India... in the
    >first place.

This is patently *not* true since I *easily* found work from 1995 through 2001. It
was hardest in 1999 but even then I hardly tried and still found something. In my
view Canada is in recession and IT is for most companies a luxury. Also the fact that
almost everybody who comes to Canada these days is in IT the market is absolutely
flooded. And lastly, Canada was *just* as badly, even perhaps worse involved in the
ridiculous internet boom and bust. The people who came over from India etc during
this boom are still there, further depressing the market. Personally I think IT
should be closed as a "needed skill" until the market catches up. In any event, when
the gravy train ran out for me, I bolted since it was obvious that even *if* I could
get a new job it would be at *way* reduced salary rates and Toronto is ridiculously
expensive as is. Glad to be out. In three years or so I might give it another go. Not
now, no how.

thomas_cook Aug 6th 2002 1:20 pm

testing

Kks Aug 6th 2002 4:20 pm

[email protected] (Jason Brown) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > coming up since July. But I also heard a news that when 150 jobs opening in a
    > > factory with 8.15/hour salary, there are a few hundred people applying for and
    > > start waiting outside the factory from 3am in the morning. It sounds horrible. Is
    > > that true about this kind of story, is it that hard to find a job in Toronto now.
    > Horrible... it is your worst nightmare mate. I am UK educated, US experienced,
    > + certifications... I am a cleaner in Toronto... The factory thing is true..
    > Recently, a security electronics equipment factory close to Yorkdale mall
    > advertised for 300 positions. It is as you described several 100s turned up. They
    > stayed overnight.. within a couple of hours all 300 positions filled up.
    >
    > >How about the IT job in software developemnt? I am going to Canada very soon, but
    > >I am really worry about the job and career there.
    > If you are facing political persecution in your country, then come to Canada as a
    > refugee since Canada accepts genuine refugees. Otherwise, you are asking for
    > trouble. Wait for three years and then try. Hopefully the economy will improve. IT
    > field is getting desecrated everywhere in Canada.. especially the big cities.
    >
    >
    > I know u must be saying at the back of your mind..'but, but it just might work for
    > me' or 'people are coming to Canada in containers, so when I get a visa given to
    > me, why should I not go there' or 'but God might just give me a chance'... (God in
    > Canada is the US economy...!!!)
    >
    > These are the thoughts that go through every would be immigrant.. and most of them
    > end up scavenging..
    >
    > good luck.

Fantastic post mate.......whatever u say is true....GOD in Canada is the US economy!!

Manish Aug 7th 2002 12:06 am

IF you are in IT and have Experience in Teaching you will not have problems to get a job in Toronto.

Here is a case for you:
One of my friend who was Network engineer, 11 years Exp (India 8 years US 3 years) landed in Canada, Toronto Feb 2002 and with in 2 months he got a job as Computer Instructor 25 $ hour in Private Computer Institutes and then he taught in different computer Institutes and networked with students and recently opened his Computer training institute.
His Certifications:
MCSE 2000, MCSE NT.4, MCT, CNI, CNE.5, CCNA,

I hope if one try for alternatives one can get a job in Toronto or create it for self.

Rags Aug 7th 2002 2:11 am

Mr. thomas_cook,

Being from India, I can very certainly say that the school system in India is very
good. In fact, the IIT's and the IIM's are known all over as world class. As for high
schools, Central schools and state-run schools are very well run. Way better or as
well as any public school system in the US, for example. Please do not trash the
Indian school system like this.

I surely can understand your frustration in this weak economy. Many of us are in the
same boat.

Rags

"thomas_cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The job scenario is hellish.
    > Getting a good job (the type of jobs people who go to America get) is simply
    > impossible in canada(for a person without a canadian degree), odds being roughly
    > the same as winning a lottery.
    > Its common knowledge that Toronto has the most highly educated taxi drivers in
    > the world.
    > People who worked as respectable doctors, engineers ,CAs in their home country end
    > updriving cabs here, and they are the relatively lucky ones. The unlucky ones end
    > up scrubbing floors or washing vessels in restaurant kitchens.
    > Whether u will be better off in canada or not depends primarily from where u r
    > coming from:
    > If u currently live in india pakistan then inspite of hardships here i still think
    > u will be MUCH BETTER OFF living in canada, at least 10 to 15 times better off
    > (esp if u have young kids - children lead heavenly lives over here, unlike kids in
    > india who's life is a living hell thanks to an insanely idiotic education system).
    > On the other hand if u presently live in say UK australia middle east then i
    > really dont think its worthwhile coming to canada, at least not untill the economy
    > picks up.
    > --

biran Aug 7th 2002 7:49 am

*I hope if one try for alternatives one can get a job in Toronto or create it for self.** Well said Manish.

Thats how you can make the economy moving.

I think where there is a will there is a way.. Even in Greenland and I think Toronto is much better ..

Optimist New Comer to Toronto

Peter Wu Aug 7th 2002 12:27 pm

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

On 7 Aug 2002 08:19:13 GMT, biran utters:
    > *I hope if one try for alternatives one can get a job in Toronto or create it for
    > self.** Well said Manish.
    > Thats how you can make the economy moving.
    > I think where there is a will there is a way.. Even in Greenland and I think
    > Toronto is much better ..

Pretty positive! :)

- --
SEX is like SOFTWARE - It's better when it's free ... [c] L.Torvalds

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE9URI1aUd9UvgbDF0RAoELAJ9pOf+fW/tQgeHuFzxYS92HkfExdwCglABh
WeaopJNyB4hJZrTsFem0tjM= =I1t1 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----