Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How unusual is it to be chased for a job?

How unusual is it to be chased for a job?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:41 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Default How unusual is it to be chased for a job?

I have a company in NS (Multinational) that is chasing me to work for them.

Is this normal??

From what has been said, finding a job is the hardest part of immigration.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:52 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: How unusual is it to be chased for a job?

Perhaps the MD is stuck in the elevator...?

Seems like good news, anyway! Now you just need similarly good news for Mrs Liftman.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:57 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Perhaps the MD is stuck in the elevator...?

Seems like good news, anyway! Now you just need similarly good news for Mrs Liftman.
Nah, I'll just leave her here!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:59 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

That's one way of resolving the difficulty.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:33 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by liftman
I have a company in NS (Multinational) that is chasing me to work for them.

Is this normal??

From what has been said, finding a job is the hardest part of immigration.
That's perfect, but don't be afraid to negotiate. Don't tell them that you planned on going to NS anyway. Tell a white lie and say that you are very happy with your present situation, but might make a change and move to NS if someone presented you with an exceptional offer. Such as pay all your moving expenses, etc.? Now is the time to negotiate, not when you are in NS.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Well that sounds like good news! Oceans advise is always good, so negotiate...you never know what you will get.

Don't cut your nose of to spite your face..........Is that how that saying goes???????
Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:54 pm
Once bemused

Originally Posted by Corky
Don't cut your nose of to spite your face..........Is that how that saying goes???????
It should be 'off' rather than 'of', but that was probably just a typo.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:06 pm
Just going for Holidays

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
That's perfect, but don't be afraid to negotiate. Don't tell them that you planned on going to NS anyway. Tell a white lie and say that you are very happy with your present situation, but might make a change and move to NS if someone presented you with an exceptional offer. Such as pay all your moving expenses, etc.? Now is the time to negotiate, not when you are in NS.
I was thinking along those lines, but rather about holiday rather than moving.

Moving you do once, holidays every year!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:41 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by liftman
I was thinking along those lines, but rather about holiday rather than moving.

Moving you do once, holidays every year!
True, but what good will longer vacation time be for you if your wife isn't able to get more than the normal vacation time? Then again, you could use those extra weeks of holidays with Marg.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:12 am
Just going for Holidays

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
True, but what good will longer vacation time be for you if your wife isn't able to get more than the normal vacation time? Then again, you could use those extra weeks of holidays with Marg.

SSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Actually the wife will get 4 weeks anyway!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

My husband worked for Jacques Whitford in NS before. They sponsored us over there for the visas and paid what seemed like a good salary. However, then found out they had been unable to fill position for 9 months in Canada, hence they looked at UK and position and salary turned out to be nothing great either! (and they made 10% of workforce redundant whilst we were there. Very worrying when I was pregnant!

Good to be chased but be careful!!!!!