Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you handle Halloween?

How do you handle Halloween?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:42 am
Glaswegian

Default How do you handle Halloween?

We're hiding in the basement with the upstairs lights turned off ... and no, our kids didn't get to go out either.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:02 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How do you handle Halloween?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
We're hiding in the basement with the upstairs lights turned off ... and no, our kids didn't get to go out either.
Bit the bullet this year and bought the grasping buggers sweeties.

40 doorbell rings later and I had to go back and buy more.

Think the little sods have a network telling them "Bloke at No. 5 has good sweets".

All home in bed now (1am) except the over 12's who are out egging old peoples houses, police cars and anyone who twitches a curtain.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:15 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

You're not?????????? Meanie!!!! I will post piccies later on tonight of my lot in their finery.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:15 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by liftman

Think the little sods have a network telling them "Bloke at No. 5 has good sweets".
Yes they do - you hear them talk at school. And they will remember next year too......

Mrs G

Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:20 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Yes they do - you hear them talk at school. And they will remember next year too......

Mrs G
I am not Ebeneezer Scrooge, but the little so and so's will be back next week, ringing the doorbell at 10.30pm, sing Jingle Bells for six seconds and expect you to cough up some money!

I love carrolling, in a big group (Probably from the church) on 23rd December
and collecting for a charity. Most of the kids around here use the money for Evo-Stik or Alcohol.

Bah Humbug....
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why???? We hardly got any kids out this year, and missed them. Too cute to see them all dressed up and having a good time, we had fun with our daughter all dressed up up going around the neighbours too. You are not going to let the older, troublemaking element spoil it for all the other inocent kids are you?

You really have to embrace it, its a big deal in Canada for whatever reason. We had great fun carving jackel lanterns and putting up decorations. But we do draw the line at the bigger kids though, older teenagers should probably have given up trick or treating several years ago. We had the lights off around 9ish.

On a more practical note hiding in the basement probably isnt fooling anyone, it just draws the wrong sort of attention?
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iaink
Why???? We hardly got any kids out this year, and missed them. Too cute to see them all dressed up and having a good time, we had fun with our daughter all dressed up up going around the neighbours too. You are not going to let the older, troublemaking element spoil it for all the other inocent kids are you?

You really have to embrace it, its a big deal in Canada for whatever reason. We had great fun carving jackel lanterns and putting up decorations. But we do draw the line at the bigger kids though, older teenagers should probably have given up trick or treating several years ago. We had the lights off around 9ish.

On a more practical note hiding in the basement probably isnt fooling anyone, it just draws the wrong sort of attention?
How about posting a picture of your little one?.....I plan to once halloween is actually over here.....andwe get the pictures done...would love to meet hr and your family.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You really are McGrouch aren't you.....why on earth didn't you take the boys out? How did the hockey game go for your oldest boy?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

I get stuck in deck out the house and get candies ..love this time of year, so much better then in Leicester (UK ) ..where kids would not dress up , knock on your door and expect money. I'll try and post pics too .

RB
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:30 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

older teenagers should probably have given up trick or treating several years ago.
hehe.. well, I didn't really collect candies. But I did go out and I gave out candies to trick-or-treating kids. It was loads of fun.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:31 pm
Glaswegian

It's purely a matter of cost ... I resent spending money on candy for other people's kids ... I'd rather spend it on my own kids. The older trouble making element aren't a big concern for me ... I'm happy enough to take a walk in the back yard with a flashlight and a baseball bat when the teenagers are getting too noisy in the park ... it's the younger "snotty brigade" that get on my nerves ... for their ages, some of those kids have really bad attitudes.

We did the pumpkin carving bit and had great fun too, but I don't like spending money on decorations to celebrate a commercially enhanced pagan festival ... the shops are already full of Christmas stuff, so I'll save my very limited pennies until then.

It does work ... most of our street do it

Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
How about posting a picture of your little one?.....I plan to once halloween is actually over here.....andwe get the pictures done...would love to meet hr and your family.
I thought about it, but too many weiros around, so as a general policy I dont post personal pics on the web She was cute though, dressed a bee, with bee slippers, going "zzzzzzzzzzz" all the time
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought about it, but too many weiros around, so as a general policy I dont post personal pics on the web She was cute though, dressed a bee, with bee slippers, going "zzzzzzzzzzz" all the time
I was a little concerned as well, but decided to post a picture of my 2 kids a couple of weeks ago....and have had only good comments.

SP is gone......and would really love to see her. How about posting it for a couple of days and then removing it.....I bet she was adorable.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:37 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
You really are McGrouch aren't you.....why on earth didn't you take the boys out? How did the hockey game go for your oldest boy?
I literally spent the money on my kids instead ... they got dressed up and I took them shopping ... they got safe candy & toys.

His team beat the opposition 5-3 ... it was a complete drubbing

Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:38 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Your kid plays hockey, Glas? Cool. What position?

I play hockey too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.