How to start

Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:58 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to start

My husband and I have decided that its time that we seriously start making our move to Canada. We have been thinking about it for years, for me its been actually 17 years but now that we have two young children and I am in my final level exams for my accountancy professional qualification we feel that we must be nearly there.
We have looked on the LIST and I seem to be there as an accoutant but I am not sure if I am qualified enough yet...????
Hubby is in the police but he is a civilian investigator so we dont know if he can get work in that role again.

I have been to Toronto and loved it but we are also considering Okanagan Valley in BC.

We were so excited by the LIST and seem to have a chance with a quick test bringing in 70 points but having read further it seems that we need to either have a job offer before we apply for immigration or a large sum of cash about $20,000... so now what do we do? We could sell the house now and free up the equity but we wanted to rent it for a while until it all picks up again and there is no way we could save that amount of money for a long time... so now we feel stuck.
Do we also need to have a job offer to apply? We are a little confused and concerned that we will make mistakes here that will stop us emigrating.

Perhaps we need a consultant... we would be so grateful to hear from any one with any tips.

Thanks very much
Natasha
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Tikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: How to start

I can't help you with factual details as my situation is too different from yours however I'm sure you will get lots of replies. Take the time to read as much of this website as you can. You will find lots of good information. I would say however be very careful about the consultant they can be very expensive and you could end up doing most of the work youself. Also a consultant can't expedite things with immigration any quicker than you will.
Be prepared for a long wait but believe me the wait will be worth it. This is a beautiful country, the culture is much more gentle than in the UK and your kids will have a great life. It will be worth all the hassle.

I've only been here a year but I wouldn't go back to the UK for a pension. Best wishes to you all Beverly Howe
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to start

Originally Posted by Howefamily
My husband and I have decided that its time that we seriously start making our move to Canada. We have been thinking about it for years, for me its been actually 17 years but now that we have two young children and I am in my final level exams for my accountancy professional qualification we feel that we must be nearly there.
We have looked on the LIST and I seem to be there as an accoutant but I am not sure if I am qualified enough yet...????
Hubby is in the police but he is a civilian investigator so we dont know if he can get work in that role again.

I have been to Toronto and loved it but we are also considering Okanagan Valley in BC.

We were so excited by the LIST and seem to have a chance with a quick test bringing in 70 points but having read further it seems that we need to either have a job offer before we apply for immigration or a large sum of cash about $20,000... so now what do we do? We could sell the house now and free up the equity but we wanted to rent it for a while until it all picks up again and there is no way we could save that amount of money for a long time... so now we feel stuck.
Do we also need to have a job offer to apply? We are a little confused and concerned that we will make mistakes here that will stop us emigrating.

Perhaps we need a consultant... we would be so grateful to hear from any one with any tips.

Thanks very much
Natasha
Hi and welcome to the forum Natasha.

To qualify under 'the list', you need at least one year of full-time work experience in one of the 38 occupations so I don't think you'd qualify just yet. Alternatively, you need a job offer approved by HRSDC (it's one or the other, not both, if you are on 'the list' then you don't need a job offer).

As for proof of funds, if you have a job to go to then you don't need them. But if you apply via the Skilled Worker route without a job offer then you would require them. Also, bear in mind that the cost of emigrating is usually at least £10k for a family so you'd need to save at least that anyway.

As for a consultant, I think it highly unlikely that you need one as you don't have any complicated circumstances. What you need to do is grab a cuppa and start reading the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will tell you all you need to know! Then shout with any questions and somebody on here will always try and help.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Read this thread before you decide whether you need a consultant or not! This has been my experience so far.......
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
To qualify under 'the list', you need at least one year of full-time work experience in one of the 38 occupations so I don't think you'd qualify just yet. Alternatively, you need a job offer approved by HRSDC (it's one or the other, not both, if you are on 'the list' then you don't need a job offer).

I haven't looked at the list but, does it state that one needs professional qualifications? Isn't there a difference between being chartered and not? Does one need experiene to be chartered? Wouldn't any experience the OP has had as an accountant (chartered or otherwise) count?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:20 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for all your helpful comments, I am hoping that I am nearly qualified enough as although I have final exams in May, I omitted to mention that in the UK I am considered to be qualified by experience, having worked in finance in increasing levels of responsibility for about 16 years.

We are saving like mad now and hope to secure a job offer rather than sell our home to realise the cash in it (bad economic time for that!)
I am reading this web site alot as well.

Thanks every one
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I haven't looked at the list but, does it state that one needs professional qualifications? Isn't there a difference between being chartered and not? Does one need experiene to be chartered? Wouldn't any experience the OP has had as an accountant (chartered or otherwise) count?
I'm not sure but to qualify under 'The List' you need to meet the criteria in the detailed description under the NOC list. I'm only guessing, but I would assume that it would say that an accounting qualification is required.

Edited to add the link so that the OP can have a read and see if she qualifies under the criteria...............http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=1111

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:54 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not sure but to qualify under 'The List' you need to meet the criteria in the detailed description under the NOC list. I'm only guessing, but I would assume that it would say that an accounting qualification is required.

Edited to add the link so that the OP can have a read and see if she qualifies under the criteria...............http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=1111

Having a look at the criteria, it would appear that qualifications are not required (particularly as the link you provided states that Articling Students are included in the description), therefore, if the OP has at least one year's experience (which she states she does), it is unlikely she will be rejected on this criterion alone. I thinks whether or not the OP has qualifications recognised in England is, to a large extent, irrelevant as the link makes reference to Canadian qualifications in any event.

I would say go for it.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Feb 23rd 2009 at 3:12 pm.