Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How settled are you really in Canada?

How settled are you really in Canada?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How settled are you really in Canada?

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Settled, love it and DH says he is never going back to the UK except for his parents funerals when the time comes which hopefully will not be for many years
Originally Posted by fledermaus
Maybe they would like a visit before they die?

Have to say, that was my first thought on reading that, too!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:26 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

As far as being in Canada goes, I fell totally settled and love it here. What unsettles me is my family being so far away. The longer I am here and the older and less healthy my parents get the harder it becomes. It will likely be the one thing that makes me move back to be closer to them.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:49 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Being settled is a bit like a relationship:

The more you give to the relationship and the more you are willing to adapt to the other the more connected to the other you will be.

If I am not willing to change I will not be settled.

Canada is different from Britain, so looking here for what was in Britain can be frustrating.

I've been lucky enough to canoe in the wilderness, ski powder in the mountains, camp under the stars in a totally virgin sky, hike to mountain tops. I've also worked the prison system with the aboriginal community, got a degree at the U of Calgary, taught and been a school administrator.
I've learned to ride a motorbike. Learned to shoot a rifle and hunt. Got married and had kids.

I am now a Canadian, and would probably never feel at home in the UK again.

I got immersed in the country and can now apreciate that there is culture here, I can admire the architecture of the prairies - the grain elevators, the Ukrainian chrurches built by early settlers. I can appreciate the history of a new country, which as a nation state is actually older than both Italy and Germany! I can admire it's artists, whose vision was shaped by the land. Canaoe round OAS lake in Ontario and you'll know why the Group of Seven painted as they did.

Yes there's culture in England, but with my Northern Working Class accent and backgriund I never fit in with cultured society at University in London.

There's no class here: and you can read that both ways, and one of them would be wrong. There are many people with lots of class here, but they are not defined by their geneology, school tie or accent.

You can reinvent yourself here, as many Brits have: Grey Owl, David Thompson, Robert Service.

And Canada is a great country: it's not just Mounties, Maple Syrup and hockey.

BTW go to a hockey game. Take a chance, you might like it! Or not, doesn't really matter. What matters is that you try.

My point is that coming to Canada is not like coming to a restaurant where you can complain about what's missing. It's like a pot-luck. And many times you "eat what you brung" while trying out perogies, ginger beef, andfood from other countries.
Well said. I too felt like i had a blank slate when i moved to BC 16 years ago. Life is what you make of it. I have always found Canadians to be a lot like Brits. I lived in the US for 4 years and found that a very different place altogether.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

I would say that we are reasonably settled in Canada. We have made some good friends (infact the best friends we made were the neighbours who came and introduced themselves to us the day we moved into our rental house 5 days after we landed - she told her teenage boys that we had 4 girls, they asked if the girls were hot, and her response was that she didn't know if they were hot, but they sure were cute.... should have seen their faces when they realised these cute girls were all under 8 lol - but they remain great friends 3 yrs on)

We don't have huge numbers of friends, but then we didn't in the Uk either (a few very close ones is more our style).

But we do love it here, and I can't see us going back to the UK anytime in the near future (no family there probalby makes a difference though).
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately FIL had a big stroke and MIL just will not fly plus she is main carer for FIL and will not leave him.