Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How settled are you really in Canada?

How settled are you really in Canada?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:07 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How settled are you really in Canada?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh dear. 4-2-4 versus 4-5-1. Really!! Do try to keep up with the a-team.

I saw his tummy once, does that mean I can play football?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:33 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Being settled is a bit like a relationship:

Canada is different from Britain, so looking here for what was in Britain can be frustrating. - Seen this with a few expats

There's no class here: and you can read that both ways, and one of them would be wrong. There are many people with lots of class here, but they are not defined by their geneology, school tie or accent.- erm same as above

You can reinvent yourself here, as many Brits have: Grey Owl, David Thompson, Robert Service.

And Canada is a great country: it's not just Mounties, Maple Syrup and hockey.

BTW go to a hockey game. Take a chance, you might like it! Or not, doesn't really matter. What matters is that you try. - yeah we did monster trucks..wow was that different, BUT fun

My point is that coming to Canada is not like coming to a restaurant where you can complain about what's missing. It's like a pot-luck. And many times you "eat what you brung" while trying out perogies, ginger beef, andfood from other countries.
Totally agree
What is the point in moving to a different country and not change the way that you are, for us we have acouple of english friends and the rest of my friends are canadian.
I am only into a few months of our journey, but the people i have around me has helped me settle and those are the ones that will come into 2009 with us, cant deal with the english way sometimes and love the good karma that lots of canadians do..................

If you are doing the move and expect another england forget it, stuff is not the same and get used to it, would i move back to the uk, NO thanks

I am getting used to the snow slowly, even snow shovelling and getting about car skating.......
if you want the move you will be fine, if its not for you then return to the uk, nothing gained, nothing lost (apart from cash )

Good luck on your journey
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:43 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caimas
Having lived in various places, I wanted to ask other members how settled they really felt, once reasonably established in Canada.

Of course it is all subjective; but how did you know you really felt really settled?

What would be your own personal definition of feeling truly 'at home?'

Or, do you consider that in uprooting your family and moving away permanently, never really feeling settled, the price you pay?

Having emigrated once before, and contemplating a second-attempt, ultimately the 'end' feeling is what I imagine most migrants (myself included), would aspire to. I'd love to hear other people's experiences and look forward to any responses.

I felt really settled here from the day we stepped off the plane. I actually had quite a weight lifted off my shoulders and felt so relaxed and glad to have left so much agro behind. It has helped I suppose that I do have some family here but such an emotional christmas time as my Uncle was in hospital not expected to last long but returned home Christmas Eve, but prognosis not good, my cousin's daughter gave birth on the 11th December after a long and trouble pregnancy, and both mum and babe doing well.

I do worry a little about my OH as it is my family here and in effect he has no friends in Canada, but he saw very little of his friends in the UK and is very much 'got too much to do' to go out and live life!!!

Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
OAS lake?
OSA Lake, Ontario Society of Art Lake in Killarney Provincial Park.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I believe then that I have canoed there without ever getting the Group of Seven. Good pickeral and chips though in Killarney.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Hmm, I thought they painted mainly in Algonquin and area. I will google Killarney

I like the Group of Seven as its a standard of art I can acheive.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Hmm, I thought they painted mainly in Algonquin and area. I will google Killarney

I like the Group of Seven as its a standard of art I can acheive.
That's a bit backhanded!

We can all paint like Piccasso right? We can all distort faces and paint them blue so why aren''t my kids pics selling for a million bucks.

The Group of Seven had a way of seeing the landscape that is hard to duplicate. Same with Emily Carr or Thompson in the Arctic.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

That's a bit backhanded!

We can all paint like Piccasso right? We can all distort faces and paint them blue so why aren''t my kids pics selling for a million bucks.

The Group of Seven had a way of seeing the landscape that is hard to duplicate. Same with Emily Carr or Thompson in the Arctic.
Killarney is in the same area as Algonquin - that's beautiful too. I've canoed and camped there too!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:02 am
Account Closed

That's a bit backhanded!

You don't know how well I can paint....
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Post a pic and we can find out!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Being settled is a bit like a relationship:

The more you give to the relationship and the more you are willing to adapt to the other the more connected to the other you will be.

If I am not willing to change I will not be settled.
Great post, I think you've summed it up perfectly.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Home has always been wherever I was living. When I lived in a flat on the other side of the city to my parents, people would ask me if I was going home for xmas and I'd answer that I was going to visit my parents and then be home after a couple of days.

So I'm just living in a different place, having met a Canadian woman and moving over after marrying.
I think the same way, but some of my family still don't get it. If I think of wherever I am as home, it's easier to adapt to local life.

I moved over before marrying though.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh dear. 4-2-4 versus 4-5-1. Really!! Do try to keep up with the a-team.
I prefer a 4-1-2-1-2 with 2CB, L+RB, DM, L+RM, AM & 2S. maybe switch 1 of the strikers for another AM if required.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:53 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How settled are you really in Canada?

I for one must say that i felt at home the day i stepped off the plane in Calgary. I promised myself, new life new me and i have stuck to that. It has been a fairly rocky road this last year but no more than i would have had in the UK i am sure, with one thing or another. I have seen some of the English come here with their usual English attitude and bringing the old lifestyle as well, i think that is so sad.

I love how the Canadians are with everyone......the guys at OH work are now starting to get the hang of our humour, it can be funny to watch as things go over their heads. They have also had a good laugh at us and the way we say things, to the point where OH supervisor walks around saying "bloody hell" in a dead funny, he thinks English, accent. I love the fact that nobody judges and cares who you were, just who you are now. I love the fact everyone speaks and nothing is too much trouble, and my god......how polite!!!! WOW!!!!

I do have a few close English friends who have been a total rock for me, and they are the ones who will always be in my life no matter what happens in the future.

I feel moving to another country is a growing and learning experience, and it should be embraced to the fullest, if that is not on your agenda, maybe it is better not to make the move at all.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Settled, love it and DH says he is never going back to the UK except for his parents funerals when the time comes which hopefully will not be for many years
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Settled, love it and DH says he is never going back to the UK except for his parents funerals when the time comes which hopefully will not be for many years
Maybe they would like a visit before they die?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.