Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How realistic are my expectations? London to Toronto

How realistic are my expectations? London to Toronto

Old Jan 15th 2018, 1:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How realistic are my expectations? London to Toronto

Originally Posted by scilly
You should also realise that selling a house that is not your primary residence can lead to a huge tax bill, depending on how much the assessment has risen on the secondary property since since you bought it.

You could get really dinged at that point.
I don't understand this objection to paying tax on a portion of a gain.

In selling the secondary property you have a liability at your tax rate on half of the gain. That means you keep half of the gain and pay a portion of the rest in tax. You still keep most of the gain.

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I will counter that by saying that to prevent that you need to buy in NS. We lost approx $200,000. No negative CGT unfortunately.
My duplex went at a loss too (luckily the rental income more than made that up) but you can carry forward a negative if you sell another secondary property I believe.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

In selling the secondary property you have a liability at your tax rate on half of the gain. That means you keep half of the gain and pay a portion of the rest in tax. You still keep most of the gain.

My duplex went at a loss too (luckily the rental income more than made that up) but you can carry forward a negative if you sell another secondary property I believe.
Really? I wonder how long for?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't object to paying tax on a gain .............. but it is something that a newbie might not expect to do, especially if they were planning on using the secondary house(s) to provide for retirement.

3 years ago, our very good friend lost about $250,000 on the second house they built on the adjoining lot to their primary residence. That was on Vancouver Island.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You can carry forward capital losses to offset future capital gains.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 9:01 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterdiva
Never thought of that. Will look into it. thank you

First thoughts - Can I afford to spend a million on buying a greencard?
Well invest it wisely and you might get some or even all of your investment back. I'd be surprised if some people hadn't done extremely well out of that program as well as getting one of the easiest routes to US PR available out of it.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

but it is something that a newbie might not expect to do, especially if they were planning on using the secondary house(s) to provide for retirement.
We are both under 40. As plans currently stand, we'd like to hold the investment properties to provide us stable rental income for retirement (aged 60). So we'd like to buy in a good upcoming area and keep it for atleast 25 years.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

After carefully reading all the replies, I've revised the plan. Does it make more sense now?

Total Budget (remains the same) - 1.5M CAD

House to live in (min 4 bed, 2500 sft) : 1.2M CAD (Oakville, GTA)

Investment properties: 2 investment properties. 150k CAD down payment on each. Mortgage of 150k on each. Hoping to buy 2/3 bed freehold properties - not necessarily in GTA.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

3 years ago, our very good friend lost about $250,000 on the second house they built on the adjoining lot to their primary residence. That was on Vancouver Island.
Do I understand correctly that they sold the house for $250,000 less than they spent more on the lot and the cost of the build? That would be quite the miscalculation on a $500,000 house. I suppose it could be $5,000,000 house, in which case it's unfortunate but within the bounds of reasonable risk.

Or, do you mean that the profit on the house was such that, even after using their lifetime deductions, losses carried forward, safe income on hand and all other accounting tricks they still had so much money that they had to pay $250,000 in CGT?

In the latter case, this is a problems we should all have.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

After carefully reading all the replies, I've revised the plan. Does it make more sense now?

Investment properties: 2 investment properties. 150k CAD down payment on each. Mortgage of 150k on each. Hoping to buy 2/3 bed freehold properties - not necessarily in GTA.
I think you need an accountant. Someone to set things up so that, if the investments turn to dust, the loss has value to you and if they don't the profit doesn't vanish in tax. I know a man who can do that. I don't know what he would charge for general advice, hundreds, I imagine.

House price/suitability advice you can get here.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Really? I wonder how long for?
My account says
Your net capital loss for 2016 is $17,891. You can use this amount to reduce any taxable capital gains that you report in other years. For more information, see Guide T4037, Capital Gains.
T4037 includes Generally, you can apply your net capital losses to taxable capital gains of the three preceding years and to taxable capital gains of any future years.

I don't object to paying tax on a gain .............. but it is something that a newbie might not expect to do, especially if they were planning on using the secondary house(s) to provide for retirement..
Good point. The way I read your original comment about a huge tax bill just made me think how big can it be when it's much less than your gain...but if one had plans for the gain without knowing, yes it could scupper them.

Originally Posted by Aviator
You can carry forward capital losses to offset future capital gains.
Yes, it does seem any capital gains rather than similar transactions to that which gave the loss.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:10 pm
Oscar nominated

So two properties each for $300k.

Based on what others say that would be some way out. Do you plan on managing yourself or having a management company? Just thinking that there may be problems managing from a distance. My rental was only 30 minutes on foot, 10 minutes by bike or bus. Obviously by car is easier but in winter even that could be problematic if something needed you to be there, depending on timing of snow, ice storms, city plowed ridges across driveways etc.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what others say that would be some way out. Do you plan on managing yourself or having a management company? Just thinking that there may be problems managing from a distance. My rental was only 30 minutes on foot, 10 minutes by bike or bus. Obviously by car is easier but in winter even that could be problematic if something needed you to be there, depending on timing of snow, ice storms, city plowed ridges across driveways etc.
Well and truly glad I am not into property rentals anymore. It works great when you get a good tenant, horrible when you don't. End up with a grow op and it can be a nightmare. I never took pets, now there is a move in BC for the govt to legislate that a tenancy cannot be refused on the grounds of pets! At the moment it is getting no traction, but who knows. From an investment perspective, don't see any huge gains in property values coming up in the lower priced market, unless buying a fixer upper and fixing it up.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Our one-time neighbour rented out the house next door to us for almost 30 years ............. he had some very good tenants, he had others who were terrible. A couple caused major damage to the house before leaving, at least one did a midnight skip having not paid rent for at least 3 months.

One time, it took him over 6 months to get all the repairs done so that it could be rented out again ............... that was 6 months without any income.

I won't even mention the neighbour upsets caused by the renters who had regular fights, broke windows by throwing things through them, etc

The landlord lived less than 15 minutes away by car, and still couldn't keep a handle on it all.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do I understand correctly that they sold the house for $250,000 less than they spent more on the lot and the cost of the build? That would be quite the miscalculation on a $500,000 house. I suppose it could be $5,000,000 house, in which case it's unfortunate but within the bounds of reasonable risk.

Or, do you mean that the profit on the house was such that, even after using their lifetime deductions, losses carried forward, safe income on hand and all other accounting tricks they still had so much money that they had to pay $250,000 in CGT?

In the latter case, this is a problems we should all have.

It was due to the huge increase in value of the house, which was on 1 acre of land although within city limits. She had also made a large profit when selling her main residence a few months before. So the money lost was all in Capital Gains.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Well and truly glad I am not into property rentals anymore. It works great when you get a good tenant, horrible when you don't. End up with a grow op and it can be a nightmare. I never took pets, now there is a move in BC for the govt to legislate that a tenancy cannot be refused on the grounds of pets! At the moment it is getting no traction, but who knows. From an investment perspective, don't see any huge gains in property values coming up in the lower priced market, unless buying a fixer upper and fixing it up.
All the damage (substantial) to our properties has been caused by pets.

If we do buy a rental one day in Ontario it will have to be a condo for the over 50s that has bylaws banning pets. That’s the only way I would consider it.
It’s because of these shitty tenants that we have negative CGT on the properties we had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.