Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to prepare for a winter in Winnipeg

How to prepare for a winter in Winnipeg

Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

DeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really nice
Default How to prepare for a winter in Winnipeg

Hello all,
I am new to posting on the forum although I have been following the antics on here for some time!

I have been in Winnipeg now for nearly 6 months and the first thing that people always say to me when I meet them is:

"So.... you haven't spent a winter here yet!"

Then they look at me with sad eyes!!

I m starting to think that I must actually have to do something to prepare for the winter! So any hints and tips would be very useful and much appreciated.

I saw the post regarding preparing for winter in the GTA but I am guessing from the responses to that post that prairie winters are different!?
Old Oct 25th 2015, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to prepare for a winter in Winnipeg

Yup they are certainly different to the GTA. A pair of flip flops or sandals and t shirts are usually ok. Of course thats for when you are golfing in Phoenix
Old Oct 25th 2015, 1:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, take a look at what I posted on the GTA thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad.../#post11778988
Old Oct 25th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

Insert sad eyes here: RUN! -

No, just kidding, sorry, couldn't help. I do remember those sad eyes and other friendly remarks.

Dress properly when heading outside- and I do mean properly, never ever underestimate the wind chill factor, even on the shortest way from your car to the shop entrance.
Your car should have a block heater, I would strongly recommend winter tires and to apply some common sense while driving...means expect others not to act in the same way .
Personally I considered it easier to drive on snow-covered roads in MB than in e.g. Switzerland or Germany, the snow seemed to be drier.
The mere amount of snow and the low temperatures are something you need to get used to. However, the dry air helped me a lot, -37° in Peg felt like -20 in Berne.
As houses are concerned, others may step in and offer more advice.
Car wise you don't necessarily need an AWD, a RWD however may turn out to be a bit "interesting" from time to time.
What else? Yes, before you go for a long ride refuel your car, don't forget a shovel and some blankets (and perhaps hot coffee etc.).

Kind regards to Peg.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

DeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I spent a bit of time in Sweden when I was lucky enough to study there and initially felt like I knew what to expect... but when people in Peg start telling me how terrible the winters are I too feel like booking a flight to Phoenix ,flip flops and all! (Former Lancastrian)

Thank you for your insight Conmar and not2old it is much appreciated. i think I might be busy today putting away all the outside furniture, covering the AC and storing away the lawn mower.

I travel to work on the bus and its a bit of a walk to the bus stop so I will make sure I have all the correct clothing. I am slightly regretting not bringing my ski stuff from the UK as good winter clothing is quite expensive to replace, oh well we live and learn.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They call it Winterpeg for a reason....lol

I was there once for about an hour in January , while they cleaned and re crewed the train,was the first day of above 0 temps which was nice.

If its anything like Edmonton cold wise, layer your clothing. Layers are your friend.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:44 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Winter tires for your car, they do make a noticeable difference.

If you are in Winnipeg most of the time you will not need any heavy duty winter wear unless you plan on spending a lot of time out of doors.

A good pair of winter shoes/boots and a warm wind proof jacket should be ok for going to work/shops/restaurants etc.

The coldest days are usually the sunniest, that really does make the cold a lot more enjoyable.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

remember transit can shut down on really bad days .buses cancelled etc so upload the transit app. dress as if you will have to walk home ,keep work shoes at work so you can change into when you arrive ,the cold is no joke in MB.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

The winters here are really not as bad as most people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong it gets incredibly cold, but during your day to day life you just don't seem to notice it being so bad.

The only home preparation that I do, is to ensure all external water outlets are turned off at the master point inside my home. I ensure my sump pump hose is disconnected. Try to clear out gutters etc, that is about all.

I ensure I get my car a full winter service (ensure they test your battery v important as weak batteries die in a heartbeat), in November, and fit my winter tires. I also ensure there are 2 blankets, a shovel, a 1st aid kit, knife, jumper cables, ice scraper, and a block heater extension cord in my car. I actually keep 2 sand bags in my trunk, these help weigh the rear axle down to assist with grip, and can be cut open and the sand/gravel used as traction if you get stuck. I have never had occasion to use any of these items, but, I am sure if I don't prepare I will need them.

Clothing, just make sure to wear lots of layers, a good pair of winter boots, and always keep gloves and a toque nearby. It rarely feels too cold, so its easy to forget these or not bother; but exposed skin will freeze in a matter of minutes, you just do not realise this. The morning weather reports are for ever given frostbite warnings, which I still find a little worrisome.

So long as you are sensible it is never a real issue.

Have Fun!
Old Oct 26th 2015, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The sensible thing would be not being in Winnipeg for the winter don't you think
Old Oct 26th 2015, 5:21 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If your fingers fall off be sure to pick them up so the hospital can stick them back on for you.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who takes buses frequently my best tip would be to have a back up route in mind if you can and plan for the worst - although the buses are usually pretty good me and the 3yr old got turfed off one when it was -50C because it broke down. All had to huddle at the bus stop for 20 minutes to wait for the next one. So glad we were fully kitted out.
Take a note of the bus stop numbers you use and phone the transit to find out the actual time it is going to get to the bus stop rather than just when it is timetabled.
(and don't rely on your Winnipeg transit app on your i-phone cos the phone doesn't necessarily work in that temperature - the battery dies )

If you haven't already got one get the Winnipeg events guide each season - there's loads of stuff going on in the city over the festive season you won't want to miss!
Old Oct 26th 2015, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by dormy
The winters here are really not as bad as most people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong it gets incredibly cold, but during your day to day life you just don't seem to notice it being so bad.

The only home preparation that I do, is to ensure all external water outlets are turned off at the master point inside my home. I ensure my sump pump hose is disconnected. Try to clear out gutters etc, that is about all.

I ensure I get my car a full winter service (ensure they test your battery v important as weak batteries die in a heartbeat), in November, and fit my winter tires. I also ensure there are 2 blankets, a shovel, a 1st aid kit, knife, jumper cables, ice scraper, and a block heater extension cord in my car. I actually keep 2 sand bags in my trunk, these help weigh the rear axle down to assist with grip, and can be cut open and the sand/gravel used as traction if you get stuck. I have never had occasion to use any of these items, but, I am sure if I don't prepare I will need them.

Clothing, just make sure to wear lots of layers, a good pair of winter boots, and always keep gloves and a toque nearby. It rarely feels too cold, so its easy to forget these or not bother; but exposed skin will freeze in a matter of minutes, you just do not realise this. The morning weather reports are for ever given frostbite warnings, which I still find a little worrisome.

Have Fun!
THIS!!
Old Oct 27th 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
As someone who takes buses frequently my best tip would be to have a back up route in mind if you can and plan for the worst
Yes. The days when the buses are screwed up are usually also the days when there are bad storms. I've had to wait two hours for a bus at -20C with another ten or twenty degrees of windchill on top... and walking home from the bus stop at -40C can feel a bit like Scott Of The Antarctic.

The big problem is that you want a warm coat while you're waiting for the bus, but not so warm that you're sweating like a rabid pig while walking home afterwards. I've yet to find one that's good for both.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yup they are certainly different to the GTA. A pair of flip flops or sandals and t shirts are usually ok. Of course thats for when you are golfing in Phoenix
I figured I'd started to adjust to Canada the day last year that I was wandering around on the porch at -20C in a T-shirt and hiking trousers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.