Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how often do you visit back home?

how often do you visit back home?

Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

jordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to all
Default how often do you visit back home?

Just a question as to how often the people who have moved away go back 'home' to visit relatives. Would it be once every 2years, less frquently or do you go back for family events such as weddings or even worse, for funerals.
Then again, how often does your family 'here' come and visit you?
Since my daughter moved away 3 years ago in April, she came back to see her gran before she died in the Oct and later she came back with the rest of her family that Christmas.
In the same year, my other daughter and her family visited her in the July.'07. My first visit was Oct '09 with my other grandaughter.
I guess the finances come into play as to whether everyone all comes back at once or do you split it at times, and only 1 person or 2 come over?
Christmas is more expensive than the rest of the years I've found out.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how often do you visit back home?

Been here almost 5 years, 1st two years we had family to visit, then went back the third year to bury half the family that visited, none of my side of family have made it out here yet, fingers crossed my Mum makes it this year, if she doesn't we will go back for the first purly social trip probably at Christmastime.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Finances does play a part. I am hoping for later this year to go back for a visit but dh says he has no real plans on going back not even for a visit
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Been here nearly three years - and have done three visits back.

Year One - 9 days with the kids, husband stayed in Canada - spurred by cheap flights
Year Two - three week summer holiday - pre-planned for hubby's 40th birthday
Year Three - 8 days just before Xmas - also spurred by cheap flights

All three visits very expensive, very knackering and quite unsettling! We went because we wanted to - to catch up with hubby's family, to see friends, to ease some guilt and to check to see if we'd done the right thing.

No plans to go again for the timebeing.

Very miffed that in-laws have not been to visit - hubby's feeling a bit hurt if we're honest - but finances definitely play a part there too. My parents are no longer alive, but they would have been out here like a shot. None of my friends have been out either.

We had one set of visitors last May - which was great fun - but probably only because they are able to get cheap BA flights.

I don't think any of our friends or in-laws had ever considered Canada as a holiday destination, and appear to have no interest in coming over, even to see us - which kind of says a lot really.

We'd been to Canada several times for holidays, and can obviously see the appeal of the place. Hey ho - their loss

It's time for some others to make the effort for a while. We'll go back when we're ready.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:30 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Too often...

In nearly 4 years we've been back 3 times and have 2 more visits planned all coinciding with weddings. 1 trip we even managed 2!

Was hoping for a year off this year to go somewhere else. Would like to have a bit more of a relaxing holiday rather than driving around and visiting people for a day here and there as it never feels like you get to see everyone or anyone for long enough.

So far my parents and siblings have visited a few times, though I have a sister in Vancouver so they get to visit two of us with one trip. My in-laws need a bit more persuading to come over, despite us now having 2 kids under 2. (no bad thing right...)
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I don't visit home, I live there. Going back to the old country, sometimes used to do it a couple of times a month until I retired.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

As much as my time and financial situation will allow.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Not been back to the UK yet (but I've only been here 15 months). Friends visited us a few months after we arrived, closely followed by my sister & her family. My mum was meant to come in July but is now coming next year due to family problems in the UK. OH's mum is visiting in June.

I'm contemplating a surprise visit back to the UK later this year - but more because I want a decent shopping trip
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:16 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here nearly 3 years and have not been back once. OH has been back twice - once to do some repairs on our UK house and once for a funeral. I don't have any great urge to go back which is lucky as we couldn't afford it anyway!

Not one single member of either family has visited us but that is a whole different story..
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for five and a half years.....

Visited UK once a year in the first couple of years (me only) for weddings and just because I wanted to. A further couple of day visits over got tacked onto business trips. In 07, the Mrs and I spent 5 days in UK on our way back from a belated honeymoon in Africa. Not been back since then but going for two and a half weeks in July. It is going to be an interesting experience. (not the least because we'll be travelling with a small person & spending most of the time with my parents!)

We had 15 people come visit us in the first year we were here for our wedding. Close family and friends. My folks have been over a couple of times since. If I'm honest, I don't think we'll see friends or family over here again ever. But I hope I'm wrong in that respect.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

5yrs = 0 visits.

No real desire to spend holiday allocation in somewhere I chose to leave.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here almost 4 years. I've been back twice and MOH once. He needs to go back to visit his elderly mother and I want to visit BFF but it's expensive and the low annual leave allowance make it difficult to do.

My mother who is 80 has been here 4 times and will be here again on Wednesday so I better go and clean the spare room.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

In the past 6 years I flew back 3 times, each stay was around 4 weeks, and I just booked my next flight for May. My parents came to see us 3 times, but on their last visit they said that it would to strenious for them to fly here (they are 78 and 80) , so I will have to make more regular visits from now on..
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:28 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here since 2008. So far my mum has visited (last summer) and is booked to come again this summer, the in-laws came last year too. Also my sister and her two adult children came and also a couple of sets of friends. OH's brother and family are hoping to come this year too and my brother maybe next year he says.

We haven't been back yet. Like many others, no real desire to plus there's the expense when you're a family of 4. Might be going back summer 2011 for a family wedding but, if it wasn't for that, not sure that we would.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I landed JAN 10th 07 ... And never came back to the UK until we had to leave in APR 2nd 09 ..

Had no Intention of ever comming back either .. Rarther just Wire the Flight money and collect the family from Calgary Airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.