Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how often do you visit back home?

how often do you visit back home?

Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all
Default Re: how often do you visit back home?

I go back twice a year, sometimes 3 times (I go for every other Christmas).

Going back again in June for my mates famous world cup BBQ's!

Its easy for me as i dont have a wife or kids yet, but with marriage on the horizon I expect my trips home not to be as frequent.

To be honest sometimes I would rather spend the money and go to Vegas or somewhere, but I have 2 God-Children back home that I like to go and visit as much as i can.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

three12sox is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I could get back how long till you loose the homesicknes
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:42 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 11 years, we have been back as a family twice, 3rd time will be this summer. I try to go back alone evey 12-18 months. Finances and vaction time is a factor. Lot's of places to visit so my OH prefers if I go alone from time to time.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:44 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by three12sox
I wish I could get back how long till you loose the homesicknes
Depends on the individual. I still get homesick from time to time even after 11 years.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 5:30 pm
Riddle89

riddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant future

Been here since July 2008

Had 17 weeks of visitors in the first year! mixture of parents and a couple of friends.

So far into our 2nd year we have had the father-in-law and my parents.
I went back to a sick relative who died whilst I was there and we are going back as a family almost 2yrs to the day for a visit.

Dont miss it, although do miss family / friends

Riddle89
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Been here over 5 years and havent been back, think about it every year then realise we can go to mexico, dom rep, US for a third of the price and have a right good chilled out time without family drama.

Family visit us every year....around 6-10 people per year, usually solid from June-October - maybe thats what makes my mind up not to go back so soon
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:20 am
Just Joined

fudges will become famous soon enough

I have been twice in 18 months just me & kids left hubby here thats only cos my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I felt so helpless over here, we may go back the end of the year as a family but have to see if finances allow us.

I don't feel homesick anymore think that past the first summer we were here just looking forward to this summer now.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Been here coming on for 6 years now. In the first 4 years I returned the UK 6 times....Family visits, weddings and family illness etc. 2009 never made it and unlikely for 2010. Reasons have been mainly because of the poor performance of the Pound ( my income comes mainly from the UK...) against the Cdn $ and increase cost of flights etc. This limits family/friends coming over here for the same reasons. Had hoped to get over for a couple of weeks in the Fall but looking unlikely now. If Sterling picks up then perhaps next year...but has been ruled out for this year.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

So far once in 3 years and 10 months although passing via "Blighty" this weekend en route to the middle East.