Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how long to get from one place to another in downtown Calgary?

how long to get from one place to another in downtown Calgary?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Sue_Rawlings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long to get from one place to another in downtown Calgary?

Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to help me. We are visiting Calgary for a recce trip in May, we have been working on appointments with job agencies etc. I am trying to work out timing of appointments, I have an appt at 4200 888 3rd Street SW, which is in the West Tower of Bankers Hall and also an appt at Sun Life Plaza, West Tower 144, 4 Avenue SW. I just wondered if anyone knows how long would it take me to get from one to the other using public transport, and if this is an easy journey? I found a map of downtown calgary showing streets but not street numbers, so it is hard to judge timings.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:45 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to get from one place to another in downtown Calgary?

Originally Posted by sue_
Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to help me. We are visiting Calgary for a recce trip in May, we have been working on appointments with job agencies etc. I am trying to work out timing of appointments, I have an appt at 4200 888 3rd Street SW, which is in the West Tower of Bankers Hall and also an appt at Sun Life Plaza, West Tower 144, 4 Avenue SW. I just wondered if anyone knows how long would it take me to get from one to the other using public transport, and if this is an easy journey? I found a map of downtown calgary showing streets but not street numbers, so it is hard to judge timings.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
888 - 3rd Street SW is located on 3rd Street SW, near its intersection with 8th Avenue. (Knock the last two numbers off 888 to find out the avenue.)

144 - 4th Avenue SW is located on 4th Avenue SW, near its intersection with 1st Street. (Knock the last two number off 144 to find out the street.)

You could use public transportation to do part of this journey. Use of the C-Train is free along 7th Avenue, in the downtown core. But you'd need to walk from or to each building and the C-Train line. Frankly, this is a 7-block walk, and it would be quicker to walk all the way.

Use Google Maps to look up addresses and get directions from one address to another. Click on Get Directions. Type one address as 888 - 3rd Street SW, Calgary, Alberta and type the other address as 144 - 4th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta. Google Maps will assume you're in a car, and the directions it gives you will take into account one-way streets, etc. But it will give you a detailed map on which you can see the layout of the relevant blocks. If you're walking, you obviously can take a more direct route.

If you're using Google Maps to figure out driving distances, assume that the estimated driving times are for off peak hours. Double the estimated driving time during morning and afternoon rush hours.
x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Judy, thats great, I didn't know about Google Maps I will check it out. Sounds like walking is the best option then. This may sound really silly, but roughly how long would it take to walk 7 blocks? We have got to confirm appointment times, and hubby didn't want to be stressed and harrased rushing from one appt to the next.

Sue
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sue_
Thanks Judy, thats great, I didn't know about Google Maps I will check it out. Sounds like walking is the best option then. This may sound really silly, but roughly how long would it take to walk 7 blocks? We have got to confirm appointment times, and hubby didn't want to be stressed and harrased rushing from one appt to the next.

Sue
A Google map with both places indicated.

It is about 3/4 of a kilometer. If if took you more than 10 to 15 minutes I be really surprised.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: how long to get from one place to another in downtown Calgary?

Thank you Steve, much appreciated. I will make sure that I leave him adequate time now, so he can arrive calm, cool and collected, not hot, stressed and harassed and cross with me, lol. I will spend some time now learning to use Google maps.

Cheers
Sue
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:47 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Sue, your questions have inspired a new Wiki article, Calgary Street Layout.
x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

I have just read it, it is really helpful. I am sure that there are lots of us that will benefit from it. Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:47 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sue, your questions have inspired a new Wiki article, Calgary Street Layout.
x
Great new article Judy and confirms what I was telling someone the other day about how to work out where an address is down town.

Word of warning to those using the Calgary Trip Planner, personally I find it completely USELESS!!!!!!! It would be good for looking up what bus route and c-train route you need to take, but then go and look at the schedules, work out your closest stops and what time you need to catch the bus/c-train.
I have found the times they provide for the journey somewhat misleading and always allow myself more time than they quote (broken down c-trains, medical emergancies, people trying to outrun the c-train at crossings are all fairly regular occurances!)
It's a fairly good system but I wouldn't want to use it to go too far it takes far too long!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Lornab is an unknown quantity at this point

Directions from 888 3 Street SW to 144 4 Ave SW:
1: Start out going SOUTH on 3 ST SW/ BARCLAY MALL SW toward 9 AVE SW. 0.0 miMap
2: Turn LEFT onto 9 AVE SW. 0.3 miMap Avoid
3: Turn LEFT onto CENTRE ST S. 0.3 miMap Avoid
4: Turn LEFT onto 4 AVE SW. 0.0 miMap Avoid
5: End at 144 4 Ave SW Calgary, AB T2P 3N4 Map
Estimated Time: 2 minutes Estimated Distance: 0.69 miles
144 4 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2P 3N4

Check out mapquest it will give you a detailed look and the walk should only be around 10 minutes or so
http://www.mapquest.com/maps

I live in Calgary so enjoy.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Word of warning to those using the Calgary Trip Planner, personally I find it completely USELESS!!!!!!!
Good point, Steve&Tanya. I've added a comment to the effect that the Trip Planner assumes the most optimistic conditions.

I've also added a section on the Plus 15 system.
x