Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for a skilled worker?

How long does it take for a skilled worker?

Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long does it take for a skilled worker?

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I'm not sure that all Canadians view all immigrants in the same light. One of my elderly clients was complaining about the quality of care support staff..... particularly "these immigrants"! I felt I should remind her that I was myself a very recent "immigrant".

I'm not surprised if they can't find "home grown" Canadians, or even anybody really with what they pay. Staff also have to make their own way between home visits, with no reimbursements. Many can't afford a car and take public transport. Many don't speak english very fluently, some barely, and many are very hit or miss as to whether they turn up at all, let alone the quality of the service they provide, under little or no supervision.

I had a client's daughter complain this week, as nobody had turned up to help her mum shower for ten days after I put the request in ... she had left for a trip expecting that her mum would be looked after, as I'd told her she would, and she was understandedly furious. I gave her the name and address she should write to with her complaint and encouraged her to go ahead! Unless the people higher up than myself are bombarded with letters of complaint they are never going to address the issue.

What it boils down to is that if you pay peanuts you shouldn't be surprised if you get monkeys, and it's only the most desperate, eg some recent immigrants who don't speak english and/or have no qualifications (that Canada recognises) who are going to accept working under these conditions!!

Sorry .... off topic!..... rant over.
Hi,
Wow.........You really did need to get that off your chest....do you feel any better? I did a one year Access to Social Care at college, afterwhich I decided that working in the care sector was not the best place to be. Its not a great deal better here, although carers do turn up.
Good luck with the job....at least you are there.....we are still in a really long queue. Also once you have had one Canadian job, it will be easier to get another.
Stef
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:14 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all
Default Re: How long does it take for a skilled worker?

Addy, I completely agree with you.

Our immigration to Canada was saved by the PNP program.

We applied S/W in late '04 and a year later the other half happened to notice the processing times had leaped to 39 months from 18.

Of course we had no idea where we were between those two timescales but from expecting there to be just another 6 months to suddenly looking like as much as 2 years not just beggared belief but was totally unacceptable.

We decided to go the business PNP route as we had being thinking of setting up this business when we arrived anyway.

I find the whole (apparent) attitude to qualified, experienced, affluent, law-abiding people inexplicable. No country is worth putting your life on hold for for over 4 years. I would imagine the only people that would be prepare to wait that long are either not that serious about emigrating, have an unrealistic view of Canada or some reason can't get in anywhere else!

Has I been faced with a 4 year wait I would have sold my house in Canada and gone to the US instead. Sadly, if anyone were to ask my opinion this is what I would suggest they do.

On the subject of attitude to immigrants, from what I have picked up on there is some resentment towards those without money and/or education SEEMING to sponge off the state and contribute little or nothing. I'm not in a position to say whether there is any truth in this perception but it does exist.

My Canadian friends and neighbours are astounded as to how hard the government seems to make it for the educated, skilled and affluent people to enter the country. There is a feeling that immigration is quick and easy! Yeah, right!

9 months since the 4 year bombshell landed I'm still pretty p*ssed off. This is subsiding now that we have the PNP go ahead and should be there in a couple of months. Also, I very much resent the costs and hassle involved; time and effort put in to the business plan, $3000 processing fee, trip to Vancouver for a 1 hour interview etc. and still with no guarantee that we will get our PR in 2 years time

Ho hum, rant over.....for now :scared:

Ian.

Originally Posted by Addy
Canada's a beautiful country with quite a few nice people in it, but like any country it has politicians and seem just as half assed as any other country in the western world, in the fact that they are unable to re-act to their countries need of professional people they keep crying out for.

why not sort the system out?

Life goes on for us all, but i'll be damned if i'm going to put 4 1/2 years of my life in the buffers for the sake of moving to a new country, a nice place to go on holiday...and thats the way it will stay for me.

Believe me, the wife and i were bitterly disappointed at the length of time for the application process, but you have to balance up the needs of now against the needs of the future and for us the price was too high.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephanie McLachlan
Hi,
Wow.........You really did need to get that off your chest....do you feel any better? I did a one year Access to Social Care at college, afterwhich I decided that working in the care sector was not the best place to be. Its not a great deal better here, although carers do turn up.
Good luck with the job....at least you are there.....we are still in a really long queue. Also once you have had one Canadian job, it will be easier to get another.
Stef
I am not indignant on my own behalf, if I did not make myself clear. I am well-paid: in fact only today I got the recognition I've been trying to sort out regarding my pay scale and 6 months back-pay for the increase, so for myself I am well pleased! I am paid better than I was (physiotherapist) in the UK!

But they do seem to try to take advantage of these poor people who are willing, or rather compelled, to work for low wages ..... with a resultant shortfall in quality and/or quantity of service! Unfortunately, as "case coordinator" for my clients, I am at the pointy end when things go pear-shaped! As I say though, I am only too happy to pass their complaints along to the appropriate person, especially as I personally am unable to make things better.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Aug 13th 2006 at 6:32 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear things have finally been sorted out re your pay!

Is it spent already?!

Hope you are all well and we can meet up again soon.

Take Care.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Glad to hear things have finally been sorted out re your pay!

Is it spent already?!

Hope you are all well and we can meet up again soon.

Take Care.
oh yes it's spent and some!!!! still nice to have it sorted though!

Hurry up and get out here then!!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

We're tryin', we're tryin'!! Lol.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer!

Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:35 pm
Manchester, UK

Tommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
You heard correctly. 3, 4 years for skilled worker now through London CHC. Longer throufh some other visa stations?
3 to 5 months. CIC Vienna.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
Well depends on the points, doesn't it? For example, 75 points = "Canada's loss" don't you think?

K.
1) Depends how the points were 'earned'.
2) Attitude is a big factor.

In my opinion too many Western Europeans come over thinking because they speak one (or both) of the official languages Canada owes them. I'm not big on the whole 'canadian experience' thing and sometimes the hoops we have to jump through are ridiculous to say the least BUT at the same time IF canada is able to fill its yearly quota AND have a four year (+) processing time then one anglo saxon male and his family isnt a great loss no.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:45 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tommy HC
3 to 5 months. CIC Vienna.
For skilled worker PR?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:28 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking to a guy when I was over on holiday ( he lives in Barrie, works in Vaughan and has been in Canada for 29 years ) and he said I would never get in as I was white and wanted to work.

Must admit, having visited TO for 10 days ( with a trip over to Niagara.... which was more like a visit to the Gangees than the Niagara river ) it seems I would not only be a minority as a PR in Canada but also a minority within that too.

And there is no racist intent there whatsoever, merely stating what appeared to be so, and shows on all the video footage I have taken. However, the ten days we spent in NB was fabulous ( even though again we were the minority as we were staying on reservation land with my Native Canadian cousins ).

Although there are plenty of I.T. jobs around GTA, I really don't think I would like to live there. The Maritimes are my preference, but there is the job problem there so we shall see.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:57 pm
Manchester, UK

Tommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
For skilled worker PR?
Yes, Skilled worker. They even called my mobile 4 weeks after I submitted my application, to tell me that it looks fine, and asked me when we plan to go to Canada. We had a nice chat for about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:08 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can gather the "governments" preferred way to get new immigrants is via the work visa route

simply put the private sector foots the bill and does the paper work to fill in its work force with foreigners when it can't get enough skilled Canadians....

private sector driven immigration.. !

its maybe why so called "work visa" to PR internal processes seems to happen faster, and why the government 'has' been talking about making it a formal fast track.... ie at least 1 year work visa then entitles you to a fast track PR

At least it get the workers here and they have a job when they arrive
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

its maybe why so called "work visa" to PR internal processes seems to happen faster, and why the government 'has' been talking about making it a formal fast track.... ie at least 1 year work visa then entitles you to a fast track PR
Used to be that way not that long ago anyway..fast track for those with jobs waiting, either for PR or to convert a work permit to PR.

Skilled worker for canada really needs a major rethink. The focus should really be on getting the people needed to fill the skills shortfall as fast as possible for the benefit of the canadian economy, not on pacifying people from around the world who want to come to canada by letting everyone think they have a shot at getting in. eventually.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tommy HC
Yes, Skilled worker. They even called my mobile 4 weeks after I submitted my application, to tell me that it looks fine, and asked me when we plan to go to Canada. We had a nice chat for about 20 minutes.
Your earlier post caused a Roger Moore style arched eyebrow chez moi, but now I know something is wrong.. You don't get "nice chats" with CIC. Tell me, did they have a Nigerian accent? Did they ask for your bank details? They had millions of dollars to transfer from a hidden cash fund of Paul Martin and they need your help?

K.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:32 am
Manchester, UK

Originally Posted by kt0157
Your earlier post caused a Roger Moore style arched eyebrow chez moi, but now I know something is wrong.. You don't get "nice chats" with CIC. Tell me, did they have a Nigerian accent? Did they ask for your bank details? They had millions of dollars to transfer from a hidden cash fund of Paul Martin and they need your help?

K.
Believe me or not, we really had a nice chat. They don't get as many PR applications in Vienna as they do in London or anywhere else in the world, and therefore the processing times are quite short. And apparently, they even have time to chat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.