Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for a skilled worker?

How long does it take for a skilled worker?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:14 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take for a skilled worker?

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not widely commented on here, but the number of PNP places is strictly limited, and at the end of the day, PNP is just a way round the CIC education requirements. Once you have your PNP certificate, you still have to apply through the federal system anyway to finaly become a PR.
I just checked cos your post made me wonder.....

As far as I can see, PNP is a way for workers with provincially required skills to essentially bypass the federal skilled workers process in oredr to meet a shortfall in Canadian workers.

It is "supposed" to offer a substantially shorter processing time (because it is designed to meet the needs of the country, rather than the immigrant), and the normal skills criteria eg education and settlement funds are waived ..... ie you don't have to qualify on points once you have been accepted by a PNP program, but you DO still have to apply (as part of the PNP process) through CIC to become a permanent resident.

What I'm struggling to say is that if you enter the country as a PNP you do have PR status, it's not something you have to start after you get here.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I could have been clearer. My point was that PNP is just a subset of the whole PR thing, and that numbers are pretty limited. The way people carry on around here its like they are giving PNP certificates out like candy at halloween. Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted by Morwenna
but you DO still have to apply (as part of the PNP process) through CIC to become a permanent resident.

What I'm struggling to say is that if you enter the country as a PNP you do have PR status, it's not something you have to start after you get here.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hair splitting, once he's in the US he'll forget all about Canada.
Probably very true. Maybe the aim of the ridiculous backlog is to pursuade all those only interested in canada as a back door to the US to go through the front door instead? Thats probably more than half anyway
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Addy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant future

Oh, only 52 months now is it?

It was 39 months last time i looked at putting an application in!!!

I think it's quite silly that good skilled people (me) have been banging on the door to get in to Canada, but how long do you want to put your life on hold in the UK for?
I don't mind making commitments, but 4 1/2 years is past a joke, so i passed on applying, Canada's loss i'm afraid, but atleast with the cheap flights, we can visit quite regular anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:04 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addy
.................good skilled people (me) ................................., so i passed on applying, Canada's loss i'm afraid,........................
In whose opinion??????
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Sad but true. Something's wrong when it's easier and quicker to get into the US (even as a Brit with no family there) than it is to Canada. Anyone would think Canada had a population of 300 million and wasn't too fussed about growth. For the life of me, I cannot understand what the CIC thinks it's doing by pushing so many skilled workers into the US, Australia and NZ. They must have lost hundreds of thousands so far, and still see no reason to improve their service.
They are still issuing the number of visas they want to. The issue is the type/quality of immigrant, imposing a 4-5 year wait does not necessarily mean that Canada ends up with the immigrants it really wants. With a long waiting time there is also a much higher risk that people will decide not to use their immigrant visas, lives having moved on in meanwhile.

Canada's choice, however.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
And your surgeon...the odds on him making it through the licensing requirements in canada, finding the necessary internship etc etc, are so long that the reality is he is more likely to be the one flipping burgers in the long run. And all that is outside the governments hands as they have no influence over the provincial licensing bodies. They would love to fill the shortfall in GPs or whatever with imported doctors, but the medical bodies wont license them. its a crazy situation.
The federal government could however refuse to grant skilled visas to persons in regulated professions who do not have an "in-principle" acceptance of their qualifications from a Canadian provincial regulatory body.

EG, they could refuse to issue skilled visas to engineers who do not have Washington or Sydney Accord accredited qualifications.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
They are still issuing the number of visas they want to. The issue is the type/quality of immigrant, imposing a 4-5 year wait does not necessarily mean that Canada ends up with the immigrants it really wants. With a long waiting time there is also a much higher risk that people will decide not to use their immigrant visas, lives having moved on in meanwhile.

Canada's choice, however.
This really hits the nail on the head. They still get the quantity they are after, but not necessarily the quality. Many will remain patient and wait (I suspect younger applicants) but a major factor in our decision was waiting so many years to start a family. For this reason firstly (then many others after more research), we switched to Australia.

And we are very happy with our choice and can't wait to get started - thankfully a little sooner than the date of 2011 (!) if we hadn't changed our minds.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:49 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
We are all "dirty immigrants" in their eyes, which makes it politically difficult to reform.
Oh I disagree.....as a clean, sophisticated, experienced Brit, I guess I'm not viewed as 'dirty' but really viewed with simmering bitterness because of my well travelled persona, high standards, work ethic, motivation, life experience, ability to slip seamlessly into a challenging position with responsibility, and make some sort of a decent hash of it all.

There's plenty of -isms here and they're not all racist or aimed at the dirty ESL taxi driving masses.

Some just come from small mindedness and insularity. What kind of -ism is that ?

Rich.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Addy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant futureAddy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
In whose opinion??????

Canada's a beautiful country with quite a few nice people in it, but like any country it has politicians and seem just as half assed as any other country in the western world, in the fact that they are unable to re-act to their countries need of professional people they keep crying out for.

why not sort the system out?

Life goes on for us all, but i'll be damned if i'm going to put 4 1/2 years of my life in the buffers for the sake of moving to a new country, a nice place to go on holiday...and thats the way it will stay for me.

Believe me, the wife and i were bitterly disappointed at the length of time for the application process, but you have to balance up the needs of now against the needs of the future and for us the price was too high.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: How long does it take for a skilled worker?

Originally Posted by kt0157
What they need is a system where the best candidates are scooped first, by whatever criteria that are important. The NZ system now does this: people with high points are scooped and processed first. People with low points, on the other hand, may never get scooped and processed. It's tough but better for the country concerned.

I can't see how Canada can go on like this: a surgeon has to wait 5 years in line behind burger-flippers (who get rejected eventually anyway). In reality, the surgeon goes to another country or else comes on a work permit (which is highly unsatisfactory - who wants to commit to a new life based on a sequence of temporary visas?).

The widely held perception in Canada is that "immigration is easy" and citizens are unable to understand the difference between family class, refugee class, skilled worker, and so on. We are all "dirty immigrants" in their eyes, which makes it politically difficult to reform.

K.
Hi

I disagree with your comment about Canadians viewing immigrants as 'dirty immigrants'. Our experience in Ontario is that they simply love the immigrant community which is adding not only diversity, but also cash to the Government coffers. In a world with a predominantly falling birth rate and an ageing population, countries are quick to realise that the middle age bracket workers with their ready made families, paying into the system will help them support their indigenous population. Canadians also seem to love the English accent. Only positive signs seen during our time in Canada. So I think your broad comment is not quite right.
Regards
Stef
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:18 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that all Canadians view all immigrants in the same light. One of my elderly clients was complaining about the quality of care support staff..... particularly "these immigrants"! I felt I should remind her that I was myself a very recent "immigrant".

I'm not surprised if they can't find "home grown" Canadians, or even anybody really with what they pay. Staff also have to make their own way between home visits, with no reimbursements. Many can't afford a car and take public transport. Many don't speak english very fluently, some barely, and many are very hit or miss as to whether they turn up at all, let alone the quality of the service they provide, under little or no supervision.

I had a client's daughter complain this week, as nobody had turned up to help her mum shower for ten days after I put the request in ... she had left for a trip expecting that her mum would be looked after, as I'd told her she would, and she was understandedly furious. I gave her the name and address she should write to with her complaint and encouraged her to go ahead! Unless the people higher up than myself are bombarded with letters of complaint they are never going to address the issue.

What it boils down to is that if you pay peanuts you shouldn't be surprised if you get monkeys, and it's only the most desperate, eg some recent immigrants who don't speak english and/or have no qualifications (that Canada recognises) who are going to accept working under these conditions!!

Sorry .... off topic!..... rant over.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
In whose opinion??????
Well depends on the points, doesn't it? For example, 75 points = "Canada's loss" don't you think?

K.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Oh I disagree.....as a clean, sophisticated, experienced Brit, I guess I'm not viewed as 'dirty' but really viewed with simmering bitterness because of my well travelled persona, high standards, work ethic, motivation, life experience, ability to slip seamlessly into a challenging position with responsibility, and make some sort of a decent hash of it all.
Well that's kind of my point. On Vancouver Island I met up with some friends of a relative, and they all said "oh, *you* should come - we need more white people".

It must be Hell being genetically Chinese but 7th generation Canadian (descended from Chinese workers who built the trans-Canada railway) and still get an unpleasant dose of prejudice from white Canadians who haven't even bothered to listen to your Canadian accent.

There's plenty of -isms here and they're not all racist or aimed at the dirty ESL taxi driving masses. Some just come from small mindedness and insularity. What kind of -ism is that ?
Well, it's pretty prevalent so it's worth coming up with a short "ism" word to describe it.

K.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stephanie McLachlan
Hi
Our experience in Ontario is that they simply love the immigrant community which is adding not only diversity, but also cash to the Government coffers.
Congratulations on meeting up with educated middle class Canadians.

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.