Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How To Get A Job

How To Get A Job

Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

S.Steele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How To Get A Job

Hey guys,nice too meet you all.I've just turned 17 and i am moving to Ontario,Brampton on the 16th June 2007.I just completed my A/S Levels over here in England but now there over im looking to get a part time job in Canada.I have had past experience working in England but i dont know how i approach employers since i am new new resident.Thanks in advance
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:12 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How To Get A Job

Hello S.Steele, welcome to BE.
We may need a bit more info. What sort of visa etc are you immigrating on. Are you going alone - brave kid if you are.

What sort of area do you want to work in? Try www.monster.ca www.workopolis.com or www.jobsetc.com very helpful sites.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alvic
Hello S.Steele, welcome to BE.
We may need a bit more info. What sort of visa etc are you immigrating on. Are you going alone - brave kid if you are.

What sort of area do you want to work in? Try www.monster.ca www.workopolis.com or www.jobsetc.com very helpful sites.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Well my mom and brother have already moved i think shes on this forum somewhere too lol.Im coming over as a immigrant,not sure of the different types.And is it resumes instead of C.V's in Canada?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

well i came back over to England in April just to do my exams by myself.My mom and brother are already out there up in Brampton.I am coming as an immigrant not sure of the different types tho,thats the only thing i can see on my visa.Just need help as i have no experience as yet in canada,do i put where i worked in England?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:45 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

You should check out Job Bank Canada website. It lists all types of full-time, p/t, casual work.

Since you have previous experience working p/t in UK you should try and get some references from previous employers and perhaps from your school too. If you don't have them at the moment you should definitely put your previous experience on your Resume.

Wishing you all the very best
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Since you have previous experience working p/t in UK you should try and get some references from previous employers and perhaps from your school too. If you don't have them at the moment you should definitely put your previous experience on your Resume.
It might also be an idea to get the AS Levels (and GCSE, if held) formally assessed against Canadian benchmarks. It may be necessary to top up with some high school classes.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, S.Steele.

Suggest you read the BE Wiki article on Careers in Canada.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

whats the qualifications in Canada.like say in england we have alevels and gcse,do they have something simular?Thanks for the responses so far
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Steele
whats the qualifications in Canada.like say in england we have alevels and gcse,do they have something simular?Thanks for the responses so far
No. In most of Canada the final year of schooling is grade 12. At the end of that, if you've met the requirements, you receive a high school diploma. It's more or less half way between the UK's A Levels and GCSEs. In several cases, A Level subjects are like first year university courses in those subjects in Canada. There is some more detail on this in the Age Categories section of the BE Wiki article on Canadian Schooling.