Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you handle upset parents?

How do you handle upset parents?

Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How do you handle upset parents?

Originally Posted by Blossom23
You are quite correct.... if you all feel that this is what you want to do then you have to go for it.....Who wants to die with the 'what if" as as tomb stone.. not many get the opportunity to follow their dreams ... and not many have the strength to do it.... and if it turns out that the dream you had doesn't hold the rainbow you were seeking, then you can just give up and go back... However if you have such a strong desire to seek 'the adventure' to live in a country that is BIG, DIVERSE, OPPORTUNIST and BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL...and in my opinion the best of the UK and the best of the USA all in one, then like me, you'll be here 23 years from now...

Stay strong and go with your heart... it's hard work, not always easy, but the rewards are there for you to enjoy. No rain .. no rainbows...

I apologize anyone I suspect I may offend right now... but I think those that make the most of any move to a new country are those that don't expect a 'hand out' and move with a desire to integrate... I think you work harder here, but you also reap the rewards of your hard work... neither of which I remember being part of my life in the UK. Are there things in the UK I miss... OH absolutely... could I live there again ... OH absolutely ... but only if I was rich and had a lot of choice of where I ended up.. I've got very used to the 'space' I have here.

If you want to make it work ... it will... good luck with your endeavours
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:50 am
Feeling the love!....

Location: Bowmanville ON, after 3yrs of finally getting PR (Nov15)
Sammie4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for coming into this discussion quite late but the title is something that my family & I will need to face sooner or later now that we're at the final stages of our application....Fortunately my real mum (both parents have remarried) has been aware of our intentions to emigrate for 3yrs now but none of the remaining or extended family are aware. This has been a longtime coming but something that my husband & I have to face together & can only hope that the people who really care about us will be fully supportive of our life choices.

Hopefully our announcement (once we finally have PR) will be something they saw coming....as to live with the regret of not going is not an option!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:17 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Try upsetting them when you leave, have them follow you over and then have to upset them again when you decide to go back
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:37 am
Feeling the love!....

Location: Bowmanville ON, after 3yrs of finally getting PR (Nov15)
Sammie4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no!! You poor thing, double wammie!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
Try upsetting them when you leave, have them follow you over and then have to upset them again when you decide to go back
OMG no !!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

In threads like this I have to say I do wonder at the comments about "you've got to do what is best for you" etc. because I wonder if you'll still have that POV when your kids emigrate...

Everyone's circumstances are different, e.g. you might be an only child and be missed more than if you have ten siblings. Or your family might be awful. Or you might be a asshole and they'll be glad to see the back of you.

I know I have a relative who moved to Canada and everyone was glad to see the back of her because she's such an emotional wreck and her husband is a bit of a prick. Then they couldn't stand it and moved back and that was another part of their drama.

Can't generalize on this topic. It depends.