Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPING IN CANADA

HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPING IN CANADA

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:12 pm
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all
Default HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPE IN CANADA

Hello Everyone,

I am not very sure if this is the right section for this question, however, I will really appreciate any view.

I really would like to hear from all single parent(s) who had moved to Canada with thier child (ren). How have you cope both in terms of child care, work search and general settling down in Canada. Perhaps, reading your views might help put my mind at rest as I am a single parent myself with a very young child that will definitely accompany me to Canada.

Any view would be welcome.

thx
Joycejimi

Last edited by joycejimi; Jul 3rd 2009 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPING IN CANADA

I should imagine with the same difficulty as in the UK - I have seen more adverts for child care openings in the last 6 months - I guess where people have been laid off they no longer need the childcare.

I work with a single parent of a toddler, she has this summer just bought a house, she has two part time jobs - one is term time (at a school) she is going on EI (Employment Insurance) for the summer and reckons she can still live!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 3:02 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPE IN CANADA

Originally Posted by joycejimi
Hello Everyone,

I am not very sure if this is the right section for this question, however, I will really appreciate any view.

I really would like to hear from all single parent(s) who had moved to Canada with thier child (ren). How have you cope both in terms of child care, work search and general settling down in Canada. Perhaps, reading your views might help put my mind at rest as I am a single parent myself with a very young child that will definitely accompany me to Canada.

Any view would be welcome.

thx
Joycejimi
I became a single parent in Canada. It was a degrading, demeaning life with no help from anywhere as I had the audacity to work full time. Daycare subsidy and a good daycare saved my working life. I would not recommend it to anyone who does not know the system here inside out.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 11:25 am

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all
Default Re: HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPING IN CANADA

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I should imagine with the same difficulty as in the UK - I have seen more adverts for child care openings in the last 6 months - I guess where people have been laid off they no longer need the childcare.

I work with a single parent of a toddler, she has this summer just bought a house, she has two part time jobs - one is term time (at a school) she is going on EI (Employment Insurance) for the summer and reckons she can still live!
Dear Piff,

Thx for your reply. I think I might consider working part time at least for a start, maybe that might help me adjust. Your view is really encouraging and I guess I have to be extremely courageous to make the move.

Thx
Joycejimi
Old Jul 4th 2009, 11:30 am

Default Re: HOW DO SINGLE PARENT WITH YOUNG CHILD (REN) COPE IN CANADA

Originally Posted by dingbat
I became a single parent in Canada. It was a degrading, demeaning life with no help from anywhere as I had the audacity to work full time. Daycare subsidy and a good daycare saved my working life. I would not recommend it to anyone who does not know the system here inside out.
Hello dinbat,

I guess you must have gone through very hard time. I had wish my boyfriend is willing to move to canada with me, atleast things would have been mush easier for me. I hope you wouldn't mind if I send you a private message so that you can explain how to get a good childcare and daycare subsidy? Pls, let me know if it is ok to send you an email.

Thx
Joycejimi