Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you agree to take the plunge?

How did you agree to take the plunge?

Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:38 am
squarepants

Default Re: How did you agree to take the plunge?

Should I be hitting the karma button for this?

Originally Posted by iaink
There seem to be far more oportunities in canada than the UK to get scholarships if you are gifted, its almost the norm here. Also many of those 4 years courses in Canada include about a year or mores total time in work internships, which offer the student not just the oportunity for some real world experince, but also the chance to network their way into post graduation employment, and a decent level of pay to help with tuition and living expenses in the short term.

My take in general is that both Canada and the UK are well developed, prosperous countries, with good education systems. If there is any difference it is not that great, but if anything Canada seems to do a better job of turning out well rounded decent indivicuals, and the UK is slightly better at turning out "book smart" kids. I would not lose sleep over my kid going through either system. As someone else pointed out it is probably more a function of whether you find a good school, rather than whether it happens to be in the UK or Canada.

Probably a whole raft of stats out there (nationmaster.com etc) to settle the argument one way or the other?

Iain

Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
Should I be hitting the karma button for this?
No, definitely not If someone has to tell you to give Karma, or if you have to beg for it, then what is the point eh?

Iain
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

stavex will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread!

For what it's worth, our story.

My wife and I always wanted to go to North America, neither of us have liked the UK, and we have just seen progressive decline in education, crime prevention, yob culture, loss of respect etc. Not to mention dreadful traffic problems, soaring costs etc. We initially thought about going 10 years ago; but at that time I was not established, and had no financial reserve. Then our first kid was born, and the prospect of going to another country to train was just unthinkable. So we waited until I had fully trained. Then my father got ill, and it was not the time to go. Only in the last year have we been able to consider moving away from the UK.

In truth, I think we would rather be anywhere than the UK. We considered France, but the idea of working in a another language does not appeal to me. And it had to be somewhere where it was not hot, neither of us can stand the heat. So we came back to Canada. We looked critically at it, found that I was able to work (with some particular restrictions geographically) and so started looking in earnest.

To be fair, everything has just fallen into place. We have found an ideal place where we want our children to grow up. The pace of life is slower, the people are so much nicer, costs are less and earnings are more. People appear to have a lot more disposable income, and larger houses with more land. A small town is truly a small town.

Yes it can get cold in winter, the politics are never satisfactory (wherever you go), taxes are high, bureaucracy rife and then you have to add all the potential problems of emigrating, putting the kids into an unfamiliar school system, and trying to understand the many differences. We think it is worth it for us, and would not be doing this unless we truly believed we would have a better life!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

Hi ya! I see that you are moving to Dawson Creek in BC. What's it like? We have been looking at the map and considering that area. I am in a dilemma as my family is in Ontario and I feel I should and would like to move back there to be closer to them but am being tempted by the scenery and adventure of Alberta and BC.....

What's made you choose that area in particular?
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:13 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been to Dawson creek once.. we were coming back from Hay River in the NWT and stopped there before we set off on the Alaskan highway…
It’s very beautiful around there but isolated I believe the nearest major city is Edmonton at around 600km away.

We when you get there I have one weekend outing I can suggest. Take the Alaskan highway north its worth the drive for the scenery alone but spend the weekend or at least over night at the provincial park at Laird Hot springs…

http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/liard.html

and if ever get the urge for a long drive go to Prince Rupert IMHO the most beautiful town in BC.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

stavex will become famous soon enough

Dawson Creek is a smallish town, pop c.13000, with a trading area of around 60k. 45 mins to the north is Fort St John, pop. 15k, and 1hr 15mins to the SE is Grande Prairie pop 50k. IT is mainly agricultural, being part of the Peace River Valley, about 1 hour north of the upper end of the Rockies. To the north are oil and gas fields, and this is part of the reason why the population is increasing.

We found the area to be just what we were after, small, but possessing most of the things we would need or want on a day to day basis. Yes, we would have to travel to GP or Edmonton (4.5 hours away) for anything unusual or entensive, but otherwise, they are fairly self-sufficient.

Housing is dirt-cheap compared to the UK. What we bought over there would cost the best part of £750k over here for less than a third of that.

The people are great; even friendlier than most Canadians I have personally found.

Weather... +25 in summer, -30 in winter.

the area covers many different land types, it is not all plains or forest or mountains. A bit of everything!

We like it!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Ok a reality check...

and this one threw me too when my wife put it forward....

and she's an ex-Canadian teacher and also worked in a UK school whist we were back for a while...

She wants to stay in Canada until our son is 5 and then move back to the UK until he finishes school and then return to Canada...

She believes that the added value in the better education will offset the more permissive UK culture..

Its still up in the air… but worth consideration… she believes that if you utilise the UK education system you will get further than in Canada… and wait for it… she considers the discipline in a UK school to be better than a Canadian school because UK teachers have less restrictions on what they can do in punishing a student..
If I could add my 2 cents......I have my masters degree in marine biology- born and educated in Canada. I'm part of a successful consulting firm. We do a large number of consulting projects internationally and our credentials stand up against any others in the world. We have won projects competing against other firms from the UK, Europe, States and others.

The Canadian education system stands up well internationally believe me. We just won a project to consult on a water treatment system that Jordan/Turkey want to build and there was alot of competition believe me.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:54 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
If I could add my 2 cents......I have my masters degree in marine biology- born and educated in Canada. I'm part of a successful consulting firm. We do a large number of consulting projects internationally and our credentials stand up against any others in the world. We have won projects competing against other firms from the UK, Europe, States and others.

The Canadian education system stands up well internationally believe me. We just won a project to consult on a water treatment system that Jordan/Turkey want to build and there was alot of competition believe me.
Quoting specifics against a generalist point is rather irrelevant is it not?

We can all provide examples of those that have done well… people like that are highly visible to us all.. it’s the ones left at the bottom that we should attempt to count..
The brilliant amongst us will do well regardless of the academic environment, it’s the children with the IQ’s on the low side of 100 that need a good system, and its their successes that indicate a good or a bad educational system..

And for what its worth.. I was re-quoting a group of Canadian teacher’s opinions when directly comparing two educational systems in which the majority had recent experience in both systems…
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quoting specifics against a generalist point is rather irrelevant is it not?

We can all provide examples of those that have done well… people like that are highly visible to us all.. it’s the ones left at the bottom that we should attempt to count..
The brilliant amongst us will do well regardless of the academic environment, it’s the children with the IQ’s on the low side of 100 that need a good system, and its their successes that indicate a good or a bad educational system..

And for what its worth.. I was re-quoting a group of Canadian teacher’s opinions when directly comparing two educational systems in which the majority had recent experience in both systems…
You're an intelligent person....surely you must have realized that to make a sweeping statement that the UK system is better than the Canadian would cause some questions to be asked.

Every kid whether smart/challenged needs guidance, discipline, direction to succeed in whatever goal (no matter how small) they have in life.

It isn't just the challenged kids that need this extra attention (.....it's also the other end of spectrum - the highly clever kids. Just because you're clever doesn't guarantee you success in life. We have friends who work in the education system who tell us some very sad stories about brilliant kids who for whatever reason - decided to leave school and live on the street or whatever. Every kid needs a good education system to give them a good start in life. The highly clever kids have just as many problems as the challenged ones.

For example, my little guy is 4 - he has been assessed as being very advanced and needs to be in a structured environment where he will be stimulated physically, mentally and emotionally. We are having a devil of a time trying to find this type of environment for him. He was in pre-kindergarten for the past 2 years and was bored out of his mind because he was so......far ahead of the rest of the kids and ended up helping them. He decided at xmas last year he didn't want to go back, but he did. We have enrolled him in a Montesorri(?) school this fall - to try to keep him interested until he can start full time at school next fall, at which time he hopefully will start at a university school which goes from grade 1-12.Who knows if this type of school system would have been available in another country?

We have friends who have worked all over the world at teachers - sometimes volunteers, some paid jobs - there are so many factors involved in assessing one country's school system from another.....that they tell me it's really unfair to do so. Everyone has their preference of school systems and how to educate their kids.

If you and your family prefer the UK school system to the one in Canada - so be it......i wish you the best of luck.....but I think it unwise not to give the educational system in Canada a chance!!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:43 am
Part Time Poster

You're an intelligent person....surely you must have realized that to make a sweeping statement that the UK system is better than the Canadian would cause some questions to be asked.

Every kid whether smart/challenged needs guidance, discipline, direction to succeed in whatever goal (no matter how small) they have in life.

It isn't just the challenged kids that need this extra attention (.....it's also the other end of spectrum - the highly clever kids. Just because you're clever doesn't guarantee you success in life. We have friends who work in the education system who tell us some very sad stories about brilliant kids who for whatever reason - decided to leave school and live on the street or whatever. Every kid needs a good education system to give them a good start in life. The highly clever kids have just as many problems as the challenged ones.

For example, my little guy is 4 - he has been assessed as being very advanced and needs to be in a structured environment where he will be stimulated physically, mentally and emotionally. We are having a devil of a time trying to find this type of environment for him. He was in pre-kindergarten for the past 2 years and was bored out of his mind because he was so......far ahead of the rest of the kids and ended up helping them. He decided at xmas last year he didn't want to go back, but he did. We have enrolled him in a Montesorri(?) school this fall - to try to keep him interested until he can start full time at school next fall, at which time he hopefully will start at a university school which goes from grade 1-12.Who knows if this type of school system would have been available in another country?

We have friends who have worked all over the world at teachers - sometimes volunteers, some paid jobs - there are so many factors involved in assessing one country's school system from another.....that they tell me it's really unfair to do so. Everyone has their preference of school systems and how to educate their kids.

If you and your family prefer the UK school system to the one in Canada - so be it......i wish you the best of luck.....but I think it unwise not to give the educational system in Canada a chance!!!
My wife's the experienced Canadian teacher… I’ll defer to her judgement…

Both of us came out quite well rounded...and she's the expert in the particular subject..
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My wife's the experienced Canadian teacher… I’ll defer to her judgement…

Both of us came out quite well rounded...and she's the expert in the particular subject..
Well, I'm very grateful that you both came out well-rounded - if you're wife's a teacher she's in a great profession.

I guess I came out well-rounded as well......although I'm sure the nuns were sure I'd end up in hell!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:55 pm
Glaswegian

I guess I came out well-rounded as well......
Better cut back on the visits to Tim Hortons then

Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Better cut back on the visits to Tim Hortons then
Well, looks who back....missed that Scottish sense of humour. Been getting the boys ready for school???