Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you agree to take the plunge?

Wikiposts

How did you agree to take the plunge?

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default How did you agree to take the plunge?

Every family or couple is made up of individuals with choice - it often is part of the culture that surrounds us as we grow. How does... and did you make the eventual decision to move to another country and try to do something different. Those who have done it and either succeeded or failed may like to impart how the final decision was made and who really forced the issue to that ultimate moment or was it just a series of events?

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Sep 2nd 2004 at 8:56 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:45 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you agree to take the plunge?

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Every family or couple is made up of individuals with choice - it often is part of the culture that surrounds us as we grow. How does... and did you make the eventual decision to move to another country and try to do something different. Those who have done it and either succeeded or failed may like to impart how the final decision was made and who really forced the issue to that ultimate moment or was it just a series of events? After all you cannot force an individual onto a plane with the intention of no going back....or can you?
you can't force them....

When my wife applied for an open visa for the UK in Ottawa (she's Canadian) they asked her if she really wanted to go, and they said that they could make it look like an immigration problem, that way I would think that they had stopped her coming with me to the UK.
I’m not sure if Canada will ask female spouses the same questions with the same options but I’m sure they have ways of preventing reluctant partners being forced or coerced into moving
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

I guess you have seen me at my lowest point. I am a bit worse for the drink and have been told that Canada is not just about a nice house, a nice lifestyle and good opportunities. I wonder then what it is about? As far the the forcing I will edit that out as its was just a wonder how other people do it. Not for me. I ask all the time and its a not sure as we have not done it yet. Its a question of you do not know until you have taken the plunge!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:03 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you have seen me at my lowest point. I am a bit worse for the drink and have been told that Canada is not just about a nice house, a nice lifestyle and good opportunities. I wonder then what it is about? As far the the forcing I will edit that out as its was just a wonder how other people do it. Not for me. I ask all the time and its a not sure as we have not done it yet. Its a question of you do not know until you have taken the plunge!
I came over on my own in return for a suitcase full of cash, so cant really comment on the pursuasion aspect, but I suspect that once one partner / family member floats the idea of looking overseas, it eventually comes down to, "if we dont try it, will we look back and say "what if we had gone"". Ive always found that to be a very persusive angle.

For me canada is almost all to do with improved lifestyle, more space, less crowding, less pettyness, more for your money, less stress day to day. Thats why I stay here.

Iain
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:10 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Its a different place.. its has slightly different social order.. life is a little slower here than in the UK
Once your on a Canadian salary its not that much cheaper except in buying a house, and some things are worse and some things better… in all I feel except for the housing the cost of living for me is about the same… and I’m a saddo’ who keeps his budget costs on an excel spread sheet and can and have compared the costs..

Suits some and not others…and the bad news is there is only one way to find out
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you look at costs in terms of number of hours you have to work to pay for something you are right. It is definitley a mistake to look at canadian costs and translate them into pounds. Unfortunately you wont be paid in pounds. Of course you will translate to pounds anyway, cant be helped!

I still think generally you get more for your money, your car will be bigger, your fridge will be bigger, yor TV will be bigger, your house is certain to be bigger etc etc, but there are hidden costs like insurance or Hydro that are hidden away or you dont expect, and of course the sales tax is always "in your face" but you get used to mentally adding to the sticker price eventually.

You are right though, only one way to really find out!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

We have the prospect of no mortgage, a supposedly slower pace of life, longer life expectancy (in reality it will probably take 20 years off my life just getting there - if we ever do) and better opportunities for our children push me on. My wife has doubts. I have doubts. My children have doubts. They at times want to do it and at times do not. How do I know when to book the tickets on the assumption that we get the VISA. Mr Glaswegian says that if I have been truthful and never have I not been we will probably get it. The agents says we will. If the CIC say yes I may have a problem!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

We have the prospect of no mortgage, a supposedly slower pace of life, longer life expectancy (in reality it will probably take 20 years off my life just getting there - if we ever do) and better opportunities for our children push me on. My wife has doubts. I have doubts. My children have doubts. They at times want to do it and at times do not. How do I know when to book the tickets on the assumption that we get the VISA. Mr Glaswegian says that if I have been truthful and never have I not been we will probably get it. The agents says we will. If the CIC say yes I may have a problem!
It is only natural to have doubts, I would be more worried if you didnt! I think you will know when the time comes, and excitement will build once the uncertainty of waiting is over.

Maybe you should come for a long holiday if you havent already, just to take a look at what you are getting into. The old cliche of a picture being worth a thousand words is true of a visit, and then maybe you can find the answer to some of your doubts and questions. I guess it is "the $1000 cure" in reverse?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
It is only natural to have doubts, I would be more worried if you didnt! I think you will know when the time comes, and excitement will build once the uncertainty of waiting is over.

Maybe you should come for a long holiday if you havent already, just to take a look at what you are getting into. The old cliche of a picture being worth a thousand words is true of a visit, and then maybe you can find the answer to some of your doubts and questions. I guess it is "the $1000 cure" in reverse?
Visited and I think the family are 65% sure and the rest are out considering their verdict (its a mixture between all five - no one certain - no one is uncertain). I even have doubts and I started it! How do we go forward? We have 70 points, more than enough money but I feel I should learn French again to earn more points. My agent says that I/We will be assessed on 67 but Mr Miller- the salesman stroke lawyer says that may be not enough at crunck time when the points level goes up! I love challenges and my life is a bit boring work wise. Why should I complain - no idea?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:45 am
Part Time Poster

Ok a reality check...

and this one threw me too when my wife put it forward....

and she's an ex-Canadian teacher and also worked in a UK school whist we were back for a while...

She wants to stay in Canada until our son is 5 and then move back to the UK until he finishes school and then return to Canada...

She believes that the added value in the better education will offset the more permissive UK culture..

Its still up in the air… but worth consideration… she believes that if you utilise the UK education system you will get further than in Canada… and wait for it… she considers the discipline in a UK school to be better than a Canadian school because UK teachers have less restrictions on what they can do in punishing a student..
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Visited and I think the family are 65% sure and the rest are out considering their verdict (its a mixture between all five - no one certain - no one is uncertain). I even have doubts and I started it! How do we go forward? We have 70 points, more than enough money but I feel I should learn French again to earn more points. My agent says that I/We will be assessed on 67 but Mr Miller- the salesman stroke lawyer says that may be not enough at crunck time when the points level goes up! I love challenges and my life is a bit boring work wise. Why should I complain - no idea?
Maybe you should all visit again, now you have all had a chance to think about what you are really looking at. Its cheaper than moving over lock stock and barrel, and then mooving back again cos its not how you remember it? I dont know, its not an easy situation to be in.

Good Luck
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

{Its still up in the air… but worth consideration… she believes that if you utilise the UK education system you will get further than in Canada… and wait for it… she considers the discipline in a UK school to be better than a Canadian school because UK teachers have less restrictions on what they can do in punishing a student..}

All I can say is WOW. Why is the Uk system better when from a much smaller population Canada seems to output a wealth of leading Computer/Science/Arts and everything else type of professional onto the worlds arena. I can understand possibly the private thru Uni route but most UK education seems to be very basic. Maybe it my jaded judgement. It always look greener on the other side!Ok a reality check...

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Sep 2nd 2004 at 10:05 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

I am a Canadian who went home for a visit, decided I wanted to go back and put an ultimatum to my partner ie. I'm going and in order to continue this relationship you will need to come with me. I was that desperate to go back! He thought about it for awhile and decided he wanted to go.
BUT over the last 6 months I have really appreciated my life here and have had very serious doubts about leaving Britain. My partner on the other hand is determined to go so the pressure is now coming the other way. It's very confusing but what I have recently tried to get back to is instinct. I knew emotionally that it is what I want to do and I think I have to trust that. Even though I am Canadian, I have virtually nil Canadian work experience and have spent my whole adult life here. I don't even know how to get health insurance!

I had similar instincts about coming to Britain when I was 21 and it paid off - you have to make it work though. So, whatever your doubts I think you need to have a belief as a family that you will deal with the hard times (particularly in the first couple of years) and if you are not up for that then you are probably best not to go. Emigrating is hard work. Worth it in the end though. I have fully enjoyed my time in England.

(By the way, don't believe the gossip about the British education system being better than the Canadian! It's a much more well rounded process over there than here. I work with young people and find it completely depressing to see the low levels of literacy, lack of aspirations and lack of knowledge due to spending too much time revising for exams and not enough learning new information. I would go back to give my children more opportunity)
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Instinct.

My instinct is to go to Canada. Why. Because personally it means my wife and children will live in a nice 4 bedroom home on a large plot in a nice neigbourhood and we will still have $200,000 in the bank when paid for. Yes I am selfish. Yes I am taking a chance with the childrens education (gut feeling no I am not). Yes its my will over everything else. Yes I have got us into this wonderful position (my wife though is paramount in her joint efforts and abilities) but I have always had to make hard decisions. I am running out of that ability to make those decisions! My eldest wants to work in the US. My son loves the idea. My youngest wants to work for Disney. Why is my family afraid. Why am I?

Instinct. It can be the downfall!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:32 am
squarepants

From what you've told us here, it sounds like a good idea to me, if you can pay for a new 4 bed house here ( 198k minimum ), and still have 200k left, that is awesome, wish I had that when I came over.

Don't know how old your kids are, but if they are under 18, after three years, once you pass the citizenship, they automatically become canadians, and can go into the states willy nilly, working there is another thing.

Do it now my friend, your family will thank you for it later.

Instinct.

My instinct is to go to Canada. Why. Because personally it means my wife and children will live in a nice 4 bedroom home on a large plot in a nice neigbourhood and we will still have $200,000 in the bank when paid for. Yes I am selfish. Yes I am taking a chance with the childrens education (gut feeling no I am not). Yes its my will over everything else. Yes I have got us into this wonderful position (my wife though is paramount in her joint efforts and abilities) but I have always had to make hard decisions. I am running out of that ability to make those decisions! My eldest wants to work in the US. My son loves the idea. My youngest wants to work for Disney. Why is my family afraid. Why am I?

Instinct. It can be the downfall!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.