Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did CHC let these in?

How did CHC let these in?

Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did CHC let these in?

Originally Posted by snowgoose
I remember reading a story in our local newspaper when I came here just over 3 years ago - a guy had found a long scratch on his car, reported it to the police who said they were investigating, would find the culprit and bring him to justice. The fact that the incident was not only reported to the police, but was also reported in the newspaper had me and my OH slack-jawed in disbelief! Pppfff - it's an everyday - no, every minute - occurence where we used to live in the UK.
That's not about Canada vs the UK but country vs town. When I lived on the Esplanade in Toronto my car insurer refused to cover the glass because the windows get broken so often there. They kept getting smashed even though I had a big sign "doors unlocked, please don't break glass". Now we're living in a suburb (the Beach) we don't bother locking the house or car doors. The same would likely be true of Camden vs. Hampstead.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:16 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading a story in our local newspaper when I came here just over 3 years ago - a guy had found a long scratch on his car, reported it to the police who said they were investigating, would find the culprit and bring him to justice. The fact that the incident was not only reported to the police, but was also reported in the newspaper had me and my OH slack-jawed in disbelief! Pppfff - it's an everyday - no, every minute - occurence where we used to live in the UK. Is this a touch of Canadian histrionics, d'you think?
Local news in a small town rag, in 'small town Canada' is know for its 'Mr Kolzowskis painted his fence purple! Neighbours are up in arms!'. It's hardly comparable to a nearly 3 minute long video clip of pseudo-anaysis on the BBC... or maybe the BBC has just gotten that bad.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

snowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Local news in a small town rag, in 'small town Canada' is know for its 'Mr Kolzowskis painted his fence purple! Neighbours are up in arms!'. It's hardly comparable to a nearly 3 minute long video clip of pseudo-anaysis on the BBC... or maybe the BBC has just gotten that bad.
Absolutely agree - it just shows how the minutiae of life is SO important in small town Canada - it's all so terribly insular. The Big Bad World Outside doesn't seem to exist.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's not about Canada vs the UK but country vs town. When I lived on the Esplanade in Toronto my car insurer refused to cover the glass because the windows get broken so often there. They kept getting smashed even though I had a big sign "doors unlocked, please don't break glass". Now we're living in a suburb (the Beach) we don't bother locking the house or car doors. The same would likely be true of Camden vs. Hampstead.

I'd lock everything in Hampstead, and anywhere that i have lived in England. In Bedfordshire I would leave the doors unlocked while i was in the house, but never when I was out. In a city, and that includes Peterborough ON I lock the car doors when i am in it.- this is since a man tried to get in my car when i was stopped at the lights in Borough High Street, so maybe i am overly twitchy on that one. You are probably right about the town vs country thing.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:34 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely agree - it just shows how the minutiae of life is SO important in small town Canada - it's all so terribly insular. The Big Bad World Outside doesn't seem to exist.
Of course it's like that - that's the appeal to some people about rural Canada. They can forget about all 'that stuff' and grow tomatoes, make blueberry pies and collect rusted farm equipment. To other people, it's hell on earth.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like it when you see trivia and daft things in local papers. "Intruders stole a small package of fresh mackeral from Ida Bloggs front parlour", or fire brigade called for armchair fire" It makes me think that if thats all there is to report then its a safe place. So perhaps instead of being horrified by "teenage angst results in brickthrowing" we should be pleased it didnt involve guns and death.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course it's like that - that's the appeal to some people about rural Canada. They can forget about all 'that stuff' and grow tomatoes, make blueberry pies and collect rusted farm equipment. To other people, it's hell on earth.
When I was young and living in London the idea was hell on earth, small towns were a nice place for a holiday but after a week then claustrophobia set in. Now I am old and doddery I am on the look out for a decorative hoe and maybe an old cart...