Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario?

How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario?

Originally Posted by London Mike
Can I ask where you're based? We had a decent quote of that order last month from Johnson's but they've just written to me saying they can no longer provide 'competitive quotes' for people in 'my situation' (expat, no cdn driving history, but good proof of Uk history).

Anyone via broker or otherwise had good experience with an alternative insurance company? We can give docs for 6 clean years in the Uk before we came last June. Ta.
I'm near Barrie. I looked up the nearest Johnson.ca point of contact and rang them. I also did my home insurance through them too but it only saved about $50 combining them.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
If you are paying $5400 p/a for an aging car with huge deductibles then at some point your driving/accident record is coming in to play.
G'won!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

pixies is an unknown quantity at this point

I may as well use this thread instead of starting another. I've had my licence for 5 years (I'm 23, got it when I was 18) and I'm moving to the GTA next month. I've never owned a car but have been a named driver on my brother's insurance since I passed my test. Am I pretty much screwed for insurance when I get to Canada? My partner is Canadian - would it be easier if I went on his insurance? Should I still contact the insurance company my brother is with or will that not make a difference?

I'm worried - I know insurance is expensive for people my age in Toronto anyway. I can contact the DVLA and get a driving history, but I don't know how much difference this will make. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Can I ask where you're based? We had a decent quote of that order last month from Johnson's but they've just written to me saying they can no longer provide 'competitive quotes' for people in 'my situation' (expat, no cdn driving history, but good proof of Uk history).

Anyone via broker or otherwise had good experience with an alternative insurance company? We can give docs for 6 clean years in the Uk before we came last June. Ta.
Having had the insurance in place about 6-weeks they did come back to me and ask for my wife's driving record from the DVLA (originally they were happy with just mine). Apparently their underwriter was asking for it. I got that within a couple of weeks and all's been well since then.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:56 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario?

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This is a pure curiosity question. We just got our car insurance renewal which has actually gone down. Now paying $191/month. This is for 2 cars, a 1993 Honda with basic liability and a 2004 Jaguar with comp and collision (but $1000 deductible on both). Seems the Jag costs $1210/year and the Honda $929! I have the advantage of my wife having been born in Ontario and having had a license for ages, so both cars and the insurance is in her name.

Anyway, I'm not too unhappy with this, but wonder what the least anyone pays for insurance in Ontario is? Is there a point below which you will never go - however old, good a driver, and crap a car you drive?
do tell who do you use
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

kamshaft is an unknown quantity at this point

i used these people:

SmartCoverage Insurance

* [email protected]

( 1-866-379-8093

7 1-800-668-6689

Showed them a copy from my uk insurance company of proof of NCB and my paper-part uk driving licence. Im 25yr old male living in brampton (most highest insurance in canada!!!) with a 2009 civic, paying $2300 on my first ever policy in canada.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive been here 13 collision free years and am paying $960 for the Subaru (in wifes name) and an eye watering $1400 on the civic in mine. Both are fully comp, $2M liability and $500 deductables, and includes multicar and home policy discounts, plus a discount for using snow tires. And I shop around!

Its such a bloody rip off, makes my eyes water to think about it compared to what my relatives in the motherland pay.
Are both vehicles listed as being driven to and from work?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Are both vehicles listed as being driven to and from work?
No.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:59 pm

No.
I'm guessing then that yours is and your wife's isn't.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'm guessing then that yours is and your wife's isn't.
I think we have the Honda down as my daily driver. Not sure it makes a lot of difference.

Now my OH is a "professional driver" maybe it will come down....

No, Im not optimistic either
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:15 pm

I think we have the Honda down as my daily driver. Not sure it makes a lot of difference.

Now my OH is a "professional driver" maybe it will come down....

No, Im not optimistic either
Not sure the professional driver part will make a difference, hopefully it will.

If you tell the insurance company now both vehicles are being driven to a work place I would suspect one will go up. It does make a difference although I wouldn't expect a change in the magnitude of $400+.

I know ours dropped when we informed the insurance company that neither of us were working anymore but not by a huge amount.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Walsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant future

We went with TD insurance and got car insurance for two cars, a new Nissan Sentra and a 2006 Kia Rio for $293 per month, home for $54 per month. We had to do our driving test again here so we didn't use any of our previous history, nor were we asked for it. Our age was with us I think, we're both 40.