British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-cheap-can-you-get-car-insurance-ontario-728292/)

lmartin999 Aug 11th 2011 11:15 pm

How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario?

This is a pure curiosity question. We just got our car insurance renewal which has actually gone down. Now paying $191/month. This is for 2 cars, a 1993 Honda with basic liability and a 2004 Jaguar with comp and collision (but $1000 deductible on both). Seems the Jag costs $1210/year and the Honda $929! I have the advantage of my wife having been born in Ontario and having had a license for ages, so both cars and the insurance is in her name.

Anyway, I'm not too unhappy with this, but wonder what the least anyone pays for insurance in Ontario is? Is there a point below which you will never go - however old, good a driver, and crap a car you drive?

dbd33 Aug 11th 2011 11:49 pm

Re: How cheap can you get car insurance in Ontario?

My car is aging. I pretend to live in the country. I have huge deductibles. I'm the only listed driver. The premium is about $450 a month. Am I the not cheapest?

lmartin999 Aug 11th 2011 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9553851)
My car is aging. I pretend to live in the country. I have huge deductibles. I'm the only listed driver. The premium is about $450 a month. Am I the not cheapest?

You are paying a premium for the vase. Did you see VW have eliminated it in the new models? Apparently they are hoping to attract a different demographic.

dbd33 Aug 12th 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999 (Post 9553867)
You are paying a premium for the vase. Did you see VW have eliminated it in the new models? Apparently they are hoping to attract a different demographic.

I did see that. Homophobia, I suppose.

lmartin999 Aug 12th 2011 12:06 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9553880)
I did see that. Homophobia, I suppose.

Yes, I'm sure the dog wouldn't feel the same.

delsol79 Aug 12th 2011 12:46 am

I love car insurance threads when your premium is revealed. :p You should certainly win a prize for paying the most car insurance. Maybe a flower for the vase.

jimmydean Aug 12th 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999 (Post 9553789)
I have the advantage of my wife having been born in Ontario and having had a license for ages, so both cars and the insurance is in her name.

Sorry I'm not answering your question....but is this allowed in Ontario? I recently insured two vehicles for my wife and I in NS.....I was told by the broker that the primary driver of each relevant vehicle had to be the one named as the principle on the vehicle insurance.

nikki dreaming Aug 12th 2011 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 9553953)
Sorry I'm not answering your question....but is this allowed in Ontario? I recently insured two vehicles for my wife and I in NS.....I was told by the broker that the primary driver of each relevant vehicle had to be the one named as the principle on the vehicle insurance.

officially if there are 2 vehicles in the household there can only be one primary driver per vehicle, with adults of similar age and driving history it wouldn't make much difference, however different when this occurs with young drivers in the household

dbd33 Aug 12th 2011 1:08 am

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 9553953)

I'm not sure "allowed" is the word. The way it works is that one driver is assumed to be the principle on each car. So, in the case of a colleague where the true situation is that he drives one car, his wife another and there's a third car used on sunny Sunday afternoons, the 18 year old son, who's rarely allowed near any of them, is deemed to be the main driver of the Sunday car. This results in a premium of over ten grand a year which, perhaps unfairly, makes me chuckle.

lmartin999 Aug 12th 2011 2:18 am

The insurance is in my wife's name - as are both cars. However, despite it being a lie, and I have asked this to be placed on record with them, I am named as main user of the Honda (actually named is wrong, as I am not named on the policy at all, but am on record with them in some way). This is why that is relatively more expensive than the Jag. We spent a long time explaining that I am an occasional user on both cars, we only use them at weekends, neither of us drive to work, and so my wife is the principal user of both cars. No good. They insisted we lie and name me as main user on one. Obviously it is cheaper for it to be the Honda.

Absolutely stupid that they prefer a lie to the truth. At least it is their lie and not mine.

I put it down to the fact that they simply can't deal with the idea that people might actually prefer to take transit and not drive.

Might be time for another conversation tomorrow around this, it is quite fun :)

iaink Aug 12th 2011 1:52 pm

Ive been here 13 collision free years and am paying $960 for the Subaru (in wifes name) and an eye watering $1400 on the civic in mine. Both are fully comp, $2M liability and $500 deductables, and includes multicar and home policy discounts, plus a discount for using snow tires. And I shop around!

Its such a bloody rip off, makes my eyes water to think about it compared to what my relatives in the motherland pay.

conjonway Aug 12th 2011 2:43 pm

I'm 23, girlfriend is 22 and we have a 2011 Ford Escape. Paying $3,500/yr and that's also with home policy, snow tyre etc discounts.

Hoping once I hit 25 that I might see a big reduction.

In honesty I had to list myself as principal driver, even though as my girlfriend's Canadian it would have been much cheaper to have her as principal.

joepublic Aug 13th 2011 1:47 am

I arrived last month and brought with me 6-years' of non-standard no-claims letters and my driving record from the DVLA (as per the Wiki guide). I went with Johnson.ca and I'm paying $1,700/year for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra with me as the main driver and my wife as named. The deductible's $500 and the liability $2M ;)

London Mike Aug 13th 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by joepublic (Post 9556056)
I arrived last month and brought with me 6-years' of non-standard no-claims letters and my driving record from the DVLA (as per the Wiki guide). I went with Johnson.ca and I'm paying $1,700/year for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra with me as the main driver and my wife as named. The deductible's $500 and the liability $2M ;)

Can I ask where you're based? We had a decent quote of that order last month from Johnson's but they've just written to me saying they can no longer provide 'competitive quotes' for people in 'my situation' (expat, no cdn driving history, but good proof of Uk history).

Anyone via broker or otherwise had good experience with an alternative insurance company? We can give docs for 6 clean years in the Uk before we came last June. Ta.

Auld Yin Aug 13th 2011 2:46 am

If you are paying $5400 p/a for an aging car with huge deductibles then at some point your driving/accident record is coming in to play.