Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How can the £ be down another 2c?

How can the £ be down another 2c?

Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can the £ be down another 2c?

Originally Posted by mags1972
Just spoke with Moneycorp this morning, the CAD is getting stronger as Canada is almost out of recession, we need UK economy to get better now for all us prospective immigrants
When's the election? I'd expect a decent boost in the exchange rate for a few weeks/months after the Tories win.

I don't think Brown has more than a year or so left, does he?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
When's the election? I'd expect a decent boost in the exchange rate for a few weeks/months after the Tories win.

Fair one, he should be out now!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:46 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope not. Brown has been a disaster for the UK, more so since he became PM.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:08 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Has to be completed by May next year I believe....

Best get the proxy forms completed now....
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Originally Posted by manningl
U missed the most important figure that was released 9.30am today. Q2 GDP quarterly figures. The economy has shrunk -0.8% when the general consensus was -0.3%

Sterling nose dived as soon as that was released
My original post was made yesterday and I was talking about the 2c drop which occurred yesterday. The Q2 GDP figures released today have caused a further drop of over 1c.

Yesterday's fall was mainly against the CAD; today's against pretty much everything.

I think that the UK economy will begin to recover once the banks start lending again. Presumably that point will come in the not too distant future; after all, it's how they make money. I think that there will be a psychological boost when we get a change of government too, just like there was in 1997.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by screene
My original post was made yesterday and I was talking about the 2c drop which occurred yesterday. The Q2 GDP figures released today have caused a further drop of over 1c.

Yesterday's fall was mainly against the CAD; today's against pretty much everything.

I think that the UK economy will begin to recover once the banks start lending again. Presumably that point will come in the not too distant future; after all, it's how they make money. I think that there will be a psychological boost when we get a change of government too, just like there was in 1997.
Banks aren't not lending out of spite - it is because they don't have adequate capital. Previously they could lend without affecting their capital ratios by raising funds using MBS, however this market has gone and won't be back any time soon (and 2/3rds mortgages in the UK were funded this way). This means that any lending they do has to be relatively risk free (i.e. no sub-prime, stupid multiples, or low LTV's).

Also, there is the small issue of the amount of debt in the UK - will a tory government have the stomach to deal with it? Will GB make it to the next election without making some other huge mistake and having to borrow/print a load more?

Scary time to be exposed to exchange risk imo.