Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Houses in Canada

Houses in Canada

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses in Canada

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
We purchased for approx $235,000
That's more than our 4 bedroom detached house plus duplex. It must be a palace.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Fredericton is more expensive than Moncton
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:40 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tangram
What about St Albert, Edmonton,AB
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ctraveler
Really??? I would have to disagree there. The only other Art Gallery that I have seen that has vague similarity to the one in Edmonton is the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.

If you think cheap knock-off Gehry constitutes good architecture.

I think that there are many up and coming architects that deserve recognition, Just because that something is 'built in the style of' does not make any less worthy. That would be like saying John William Waterhouse was a cheap knock-off of the Pre-Raphaelite movement. He took a style and used his own interpretation of it just as Randall Stout has.

The Fairmont Hotels are quite uniquely Canadian as they were built by Canadian Pacific company railways in the late19th Early 20th Century.

It's pretty shabby and in dire need of a face lift inside and out.

There are an awful lot of crumbling buildings in the UK in dire need of face-lifts but that does not make the architecture any less beautiful or worthy.

The uniquely designed Muttart Conservatory by Peter Hemmingway offering an oasis at anytime of year from the contrasting Prarie climate.

Generic glass pyramids? Very unique? I don't think so.

As I said an oasis in the city. I spent many a lunch break from work on a rainy or -25'C day sitting on a bench reading a book in a sub-tropical climate.

The Parisian 'Beaux Arts' style of the Alberta Legislature building which is fronted with fountains full splashing families in the summer and ice skating in the winter.

Standard issue civic building, isolated by horrible road system.

Completely disagree! It is a beautiful building with beautiful grounds. Have you actually ever been in the building?? I wonder why all year round (well 3 seasons anyways) this happens to be one of the most popular spots for wedding photos. Why it is filled with families in both the summer and the winter partaking in the surroundings.

These are just some examples of fantastic buildings/architecture in Edmonton.

Not to mention the fact that in Canadian cities houses offer great variation in style, colour,design, etc. Unlike the boring brick rowhouse, terraced property that you get in the UK (unless of course you are a millionaire or even billionaire these days) where every tiny detail is scrutinised by the local council planning teams.

Mcmansions, 1950's bungalows and mile after mile after mile of cheaply built wood framed stucco covered walk up condo blocks.

I much prefer the difference's in style of a Canadian home to a UK brick row house that looks the same as every other one on the street for mile upon mile. At least Canadian homes are not all attached and dotted with horrid council estates with high rise buildings that are falling apart and filled with flat after flat of laundry covered windows and doors, criminal activity, derelict play areas and overflowing rubbish. Not to mention the fact that these are in EVERY area.

Futhermore I like the fact that if I want to install the latest high tech gadgetry all the wires can be hidden by inserting it through those ply walls. Far better than drilling channels through brick or having wires hanging out everywhere. Not to mention the problems that brick causes: Rising Damp, Having to Repoint, the nightmare one has trying to rewire or replumb, etc, etc.

I suppose it comes down to everyone having their own preferences. I see the beauty in a place like Edmonton, obviously not everyone does. I am however not the only one, as it has been one of Canada's fastest growing cities in the past 10 years. There are alot of people that live there very happily. I have a friend who has moved between 3 other Canadian cities recently(Victoria, Vancouver, Saskatoon) and has gone back to Edmonton permanently as nothing compares for them. I guess this is why there are so many destinations in the world to choose from and everyone has to decide what is important in their lives and what works for them.

I hope that the OP finds what she is looking for and takes the time to really work out what the city has to offer.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:09 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Really??? I would have to disagree there. The only other Art Gallery that I have seen that has vague similarity to the one in Edmonton is the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.

If you think cheap knock-off Gehry constitutes good architecture.

I think that there are many up and coming architects that deserve recognition, Just because that something is 'built in the style of' does not make any less worthy. That would be like saying John William Waterhouse was a cheap knock-off of the Pre-Raphaelite movement. He took a style and used his own interpretation of it just as Randall Stout has.

The Fairmont Hotels are quite uniquely Canadian as they were built by Canadian Pacific company railways in the late19th Early 20th Century.

It's pretty shabby and in dire need of a face lift inside and out.

There are an awful lot of crumbling buildings in the UK in dire need of face-lifts but that does not make the architecture any less beautiful or worthy.

The uniquely designed Muttart Conservatory by Peter Hemmingway offering an oasis at anytime of year from the contrasting Prarie climate.

Generic glass pyramids? Very unique? I don't think so.

As I said an oasis in the city. I spent many a lunch break from work on a rainy or -25'C day sitting on a bench reading a book in a sub-tropical climate.

The Parisian 'Beaux Arts' style of the Alberta Legislature building which is fronted with fountains full splashing families in the summer and ice skating in the winter.

Standard issue civic building, isolated by horrible road system.

Completely disagree! It is a beautiful building with beautiful grounds. Have you actually ever been in the building?? I wonder why all year round (well 3 seasons anyways) this happens to be one of the most popular spots for wedding photos. Why it is filled with families in both the summer and the winter partaking in the surroundings.

These are just some examples of fantastic buildings/architecture in Edmonton.

Not to mention the fact that in Canadian cities houses offer great variation in style, colour,design, etc. Unlike the boring brick rowhouse, terraced property that you get in the UK (unless of course you are a millionaire or even billionaire these days) where every tiny detail is scrutinised by the local council planning teams.

Mcmansions, 1950's bungalows and mile after mile after mile of cheaply built wood framed stucco covered walk up condo blocks.

I much prefer the difference's in style of a Canadian home to a UK brick row house that looks the same as every other one on the street for mile upon mile. At least Canadian homes are not all attached and dotted with horrid council estates with high rise buildings that are falling apart and filled with flat after flat of laundry covered windows and doors, criminal activity, derelict play areas and overflowing rubbish. Not to mention the fact that these are in EVERY area.

Futhermore I like the fact that if I want to install the latest high tech gadgetry all the wires can be hidden by inserting it through those ply walls. Far better than drilling channels through brick or having wires hanging out everywhere. Not to mention the problems that brick causes: Rising Damp, Having to Repoint, the nightmare one has trying to rewire or replumb, etc, etc.

I suppose it comes down to everyone having their own preferences. I see the beauty in a place like Edmonton, obviously not everyone does. I am however not the only one, as it has been one of Canada's fastest growing cities in the past 10 years. There are alot of people that live there very happily. I have a friend who has moved between 3 other Canadian cities recently(Victoria, Vancouver, Saskatoon) and has gone back to Edmonton permanently as nothing compares for them. I guess this is why there are so many destinations in the world to choose from and everyone has to decide what is important in their lives and what works for them.

I hope that the OP finds what she is looking for and takes the time to really work out what the city has to offer.
Excellent post but I am a (he)

Regards
Andy
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Yep, I remember. Somewhere central in Fredericton didn't leave a great deal of flexibility for the duplex, so Moncton it was.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vettemaster
Excellent post but I am a (he)

Regards
Andy
I am so sorry, don't know why I thought you were a she!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. It's probably the girls car....
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:44 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It is on a nice road, in a nice area, and another big plus is that we live in it (bound to put the price up)
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
It is in a nice area, and another big plus is that we live in it (bound to put the price up)
Does it look anything like this?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:06 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Me too. It's probably the girls car....
Girls Car? A corvette C5 Z06? Thanks for your info > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5_Z06

Last edited by vettemaster; Jan 2nd 2011 at 8:17 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:22 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

You made a mistake and said sorry. Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vettemaster
Girls Car? A corvette C5 Z06? Thanks for your info > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5_Z06
Does it come in pink as well as yellow?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:27 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Does it come in pink as well as yellow?
Not sure why you are trying to rub me up the wrong way but have you any thing constuctive to say to add to my thread or not?

otherwise why the insults?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Futhermore I like the fact that if I want to install the latest high tech gadgetry all the wires can be hidden by inserting it through those ply walls. Far better than drilling channels through brick or having wires hanging out everywhere.
Alas, that silver lining of shack living hardly counts now everything's wireless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.