Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

house prices in Kamloops/Kelowna

house prices in Kamloops/Kelowna

Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice
Default Re: house prices in Kamloops/Kelowna

Too normal is on our list of negatives after our Kamloops reccie

I though it was a really great town. It would have been perfect for us if we had taken the plunge and done this 10 years ago (especially with the fabulous Sun Peaks Mountain Resort so close by), but now with the kids nearly ready to leave home and go to Uni, we are looking for more of a Canadian adventure. Sounds mad, maybe a bit of midlife crisis? We are visiting other areas before we decide, but may come back to Kamloops which was the original choice.

I found last April $4-500k would buy us a lovely house that fitted our wish list in Kamloops, but those in the same bracket in Kelowna would be more of a compromise, it seemed the similar houses would set us back $5-600k. I think the prices have dropped a bit since then though. Vernon was in between the two (geographically and pricewise).
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pebblebeach

I though it was a really great town. It would have been perfect for us if we had taken the plunge and done this 10 years ago (especially with the fabulous Sun Peaks Mountain Resort so close by), but now with the kids nearly ready to leave home and go to Uni, we are looking for more of a Canadian adventure. Sounds mad, maybe a bit of midlife crisis? We are visiting other areas before we decide, but may come back to Kamloops which was the original choice.

I found last April $4-500k would buy us a lovely house that fitted our wish list in Kamloops, but those in the same bracket in Kelowna would be more of a compromise, it seemed the similar houses would set us back $5-600k. I think the prices have dropped a bit since then though. Vernon was in between the two (geographically and pricewise).
I tend to agree, moving 16 - 18yr olds from the UK to Kamloops (well most places in Canada really) is always going to be a struggle. Kids have made most of their life long friends by this age and trying to fit into a new (much smaller) city can be a challenge.

Kamloops is great place for kids to grow up in, has a Uni, but I do worry about the career prospects of my children as they get older..
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:31 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 6mathers
we've done some research, and we are coming over in the summer. Kamloops I am favouring, Kelowna, my OH is favouring. Question is, Ive looked at all the housing prices and roughly (scream at me if you will) the price for a decent 4 bed detached is it approx 500$ or is this a little on the low side...? or I am hoping high side.....
Currently you can get them cheaper than 500k...look around Barnhartvale...Brand new in Batchelor (Saddleback Hills) people bought and then were hoping to make a fast buck dropped to 300-400k, Valleyview and Brocklehurst
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:26 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pebblebeach

Dropped more that a bit, try 20 percent and falling fast!!!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
... my daughters hair froze as we waited for the school bus!!
I thought that was an up & coming local style in Halifax?