Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hospital Costs!!

Hospital Costs!!

Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hospital Costs!!

My OH has no OHIP. Sometime back she had stomach pains that seemed serious so off we went to the hospital. She was admitted, prodded poked, analyzed ten ways to Sunday, kept overnight. Total cost about $300. Not anything like as high as I feared; cost isn't a very good reason not to go.

The long term potential cost is something to think about. One of my children broke her feet, the treatment at the time was ineffective and so they're bent. Attempts (since abandoned) to correct this entailed the use of appliances (surgical boots) not covered by OHIP at $3,000 a time. A child with a small untreated injury now could end up with an expensive continuing condition. The bang for the buck is in early intervention.

That said, my OH is currently nursing a foot which likely has broken bones; she won't take it for an x-ray because of the potential cost. She's used to that idea; she's an American.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:19 am
Just Joined

qjamesfloyd is on a distinguished road

Well my reply from yesterday has been removed, don't know why.
But anyway, thanks to the replies from the more level headed people. My daughter went to see the gp today, and the gp said there was no broken/fratured bones, it's just a muscle complaint, and in time it will heal it'self!!so thanks for the actusations of child neglect that maid me feel really good about myselfPlease from now on think about what you are writing on an open forum, i know i will!!!In future i will go elswhere for advice.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:53 am
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

So glad to hear that she is fine and that it's nothing major.

Glad that the moderators stepped in too. There were some apalling coments on there and I do wonder where some of the people on here are coming from.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:56 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

I hope your girl is OK now.

Hopefully anyone else coming to Canada reading this will learn the importance of not assuming anything, and will take on board the importance of getting insurance to cover the wait period where applicable.

Once you emigrate all bets are off. There is no reciprocal agreement between the provinces and the NHS, so no Brit is going to be covered that way.

Travel insurance will cover a traveler, but that doesnt apply for new arrivals either (although you can try and claim it)

Better to be prepared with newcomer/ visitor insurance, or a good understanding of the cost of treatment if you are going to go without. Overnight hospitalisation can cost thousands. Better to throw a few more hundred into the gaping chasm that is immigration expenses. With any luck you will never need it, but it could make all the difference if you zig when you should have zagged, or more likely looked left when you should have looked right first.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:50 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so pleased to hear that it was a simple muscle strain and I can understand how reading those harsh words would have made you feel - it would have made my blood boil! I hope that you have a better time from now on and you continue posting - because I want to know how new immigrants settle in and I dont want to think you wont want to post more.

Good Luck
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by qjamesfloyd
Well my reply from yesterday has been removed, don't know why.
But anyway, thanks to the replies from the more level headed people. My daughter went to see the gp today, and the gp said there was no broken/fratured bones, it's just a muscle complaint, and in time it will heal it'self!!so thanks for the actusations of child neglect that maid me feel really good about myselfPlease from now on think about what you are writing on an open forum, i know i will!!!In future i will go elswhere for advice.
I am so glad to hear that you daughter is going to be ok, irrelevant of anything else it must have been so worrying for you.

Good luck as you continue to settle in to your new life.