Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hospital Costs!!

Hospital Costs!!

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:24 am
Just Joined

qjamesfloyd is on a distinguished road
Default Hospital Costs!!

Well, we landed on May 30th, and the 1st week was very hectic, but it's getting better now.
The thing is about a week ago, my 16 month old daughter fell backwards off our deck, it's only about 6-8inchs, but she has been walking with a limp, so, we took her to the local hospital, and they said because she does'nt have a medical card(my wife who is Canadian does) we would have to pay C$438 just to see a Doctor, and then if she needed an x-ray it would cost even more, now i don't think she broke anything, because i know what it feels like to break/fracture bones, but there is something wrong, but it's a lot of money, now for emirgration purposes she is considered Canadian, so, surly she that should apply for the hospital too?they said she is still covered under the Britist NHS, so we would have to apply to the NHS to get the money back!!!Now that could take months and months. Also i have travel insurance from Barclays Bank in England though my bank account, would that cover her?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:42 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hospital Costs!!

Originally Posted by qjamesfloyd
Well, we landed on May 30th, and the 1st week was very hectic, but it's getting better now.
The thing is about a week ago, my 16 month old daughter fell backwards off our deck, it's only about 6-8inchs, but she has been walking with a limp, so, we took her to the local hospital, and they said because she does'nt have a medical card(my wife who is Canadian does) we would have to pay C$438 just to see a Doctor, and then if she needed an x-ray it would cost even more, now i don't think she broke anything, because i know what it feels like to break/fracture bones, but there is something wrong, but it's a lot of money, now for emirgration purposes she is considered Canadian, so, surly she that should apply for the hospital too?they said she is still covered under the Britist NHS, so we would have to apply to the NHS to get the money back!!!Now that could take months and months. Also i have travel insurance from Barclays Bank in England though my bank account, would that cover her?
Excuse me? What does it matter what it costs? Firstly, if your wife is Canadian, why did she not get her child registered against her coverage the second you landed? Secondly, the cost of making sure your child is OK is irrelevant. Has it not occurred to you that it may not be a break, did your child hit her head, for example? Kids can walk around on fractures without you knowing, they can also get head injuries very easily. If you wait any longer and then take her to the hospital, expect a visit from your local child protection agency. The hospital would be mandated to call as you are withholding essential medical treatment under every provincial child welfare legislation I can think of. A visit from them you will not want, believe me.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:56 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly I am going to assume that you went ahead and paid for your daughters care and are now wondering who should reimburse you for the expenses.

Just because your daughter is a Canadian does not necessarily entitle her to health care coverage immediately upon arrival in the country.

Now even though your wife has a "medical card" is it valid? It is quite conceivable that she is not covered under any provincial plans if she has been out of the country for an extended period.

You don't say which province you are in. Some provinces provides health care coverage immediately some have up to a three month wait period. This is information you should have had before you left the UK. Many on this forum are aware of it and arrange interim insurance before they leave the UK just for circumstances like you have run into.

As for who should reimburse you for your expense I don't know. Try the travel insurance and see what they have to say.

I do hope that your daughter is not seriously hurt and recovers soon.

Regards
Steve

Edit: I see from another post that you are in Ontario.

It would appear your wife is most likely not covered and that there is a three month wait for coverage.

This is a quote from the Ontario Health Insurance Plan website Questions and Answer page.

Am I eligible for OHIP right away or do I have to wait ?

There may be a three-month waiting period for your OHIP coverage.
If you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You are also required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residency is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency).
If you are an eligible resident moving to Ontario from another part of Canada, the health insurance of your former province/territory will cover you for up to three months.
If you are not covered by another the health insurance of another province/territory, it is important to buy private health insurance to cover you until you receive your Ontario health coverage.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...p/ohip_mn.html

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 23rd 2007 at 6:04 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

We will be moving to BC and I have presumed that, even though my son and I are Canadian Citizens, we will have the 3 month "wait" period. I am sponsoring my husband and he, obviously, will have the 3 month wait as well. Could someone please confirm that it will apply to my son and myself?

Thanks

Joanne
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:59 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
We will be moving to BC and I have presumed that, even though my son and I are Canadian Citizens, we will have the 3 month "wait" period. I am sponsoring my husband and he, obviously, will have the 3 month wait as well. Could someone please confirm that it will apply to my son and myself?
Yes, the waiting period will apply to you and your son. That would be true even if you were moving from another province in Canada.

Whenever possible, I think it's better to check official sources rather than asking people here. The more important the issue, the more important it is to check official sources, in my opinion.

Here is the web page about enrolling with BC's Medical Services Plan.

You may want to be aware of this piece of advice from them in particular:
You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the waiting period, to allow time for your application to be processed.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:03 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10

Thanks

Joanne
Both you and your son will have to wait the balance of the month in wich you arrive plus two months.

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/...e.html#waiting

You can get coverage for the waiting period as soon as you return from any Autoplan agent. Costs about a twoonie a day.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James

Hope your daughter is ok?

I remember just before I flew to drop my daughter in Canada I had to renew our annual travel insurance and of course pointed out that we were emigrating at some point.

We were told that as soon as we were non resident in the UK that we would not be able to claim on the annual travel insurance for any medical or loss of luggage. So presume the Barclays Bank thing could very well be the same.

Sorry

Gaynor
x
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Hope your daughter's okay now?

As an ex Barclays banker, I'm pretty certain your travel insurance won't cover you, so that avenues out.

On the other post, the BC cover for the three month wait period is easy to organise - we got several quotes, and there's a thread with detailed contact numbers etc on the forum - search under Blue Cross or Canadasure (I think). Let me know if you can't find it - we have all the details in our 'goods accompanied' file!

Fingers crossed the little girl's okay.

MK Murrays
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I cut and pasted this from an earlier thread on BC travel insurance for those in BC.

This is all based on a single, 43 year old male in good health.

It is my understanding that all the quotes below include all applicable taxes

Canada Life - 1-800-680-3837
Coverage / Cost
15000 / $209.30
25000 / $240.24
50000 / $270.27
100000 / $390.39
150000 / $510.51

Trent Health - 1-800-216-3588
Plan Name: EXPAT
Coverage / Cost
100000 / $294.00

Manulife Financial - 1-800-268-3763
25000 / $223.20
50000 / $249.30
100000 / $385.20
150000 / $501.30
This plan also allow 30 days cover in US

Canada Travel Insurance - 1-800-474-4474
Appears to be a broker for Manulife
Coverage / Cost
25000 / $230.64
50000 / $257.61
100000 / $398.04
150000 / $518.01
This plan allows for trips up to 5 days in the US

Blue Cross Visitors to Canada Travel Insurance Plan - 1-800-873-2583
Coverage / Cost
100000 / $328

I was advised that coverage of $50000 was more that adequate in Canada, but way under what was required for the US. One broker told me of a client that recently had a heart attack in the US and was charged US$10,000 per minute for CPR and had 20 minutes worth. :scared:
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Yes, the waiting period will apply to you and your son. That would be true even if you were moving from another province in Canada.

Whenever possible, I think it's better to check official sources rather than asking people here. The more important the issue, the more important it is to check official sources, in my opinion.

Here is the web page about enrolling with BC's Medical Services Plan.

You may want to be aware of this piece of advice from them in particular:
You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the waiting period, to allow time for your application to be processed.
Judy

Thanks for confirming what I expected. I just wouldn't have wanted to pay the Bluecross insurance if I didn't need to!

Joanne
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:25 am
Just Joined

qjamesfloyd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dingbat
Excuse me? What does it matter what it costs? Firstly, if your wife is Canadian, why did she not get her child registered against her coverage the second you landed? Secondly, the cost of making sure your child is OK is irrelevant. Has it not occurred to you that it may not be a break, did your child hit her head, for example? Kids can walk around on fractures without you knowing, they can also get head injuries very easily. If you wait any longer and then take her to the hospital, expect a visit from your local child protection agency. The hospital would be mandated to call as you are withholding essential medical treatment under every provincial child welfare legislation I can think of. A visit from them you will not want, believe me.
Firstly, thanks to everyone who did'nt jump down my throat like the above post, as you will be aware, when you emirgrate there are so many things you have to think about, and i guess getting our daughter registered slipped our mind, we have phoned up about getting her registered, and there is a 2 and half week wait just to get an appointment!! seecondly the cost is not irrelevant, if i had a ton of money it would be ok, we don't though.Plus my wife is due to goto her GP on Monday, and the GP will look at my daughter then, she may suggest an x-ray, in which case we will have to pay for them.
She did not hit her head by the way.
The point of my original post was to ask if there was anyway my daughter was covered or not, i did not need a child protection lecture thank you!! and i'm not the one witholding medical treatment, they are.
It's ironic that if this occured to a Canadian in the UK, or any nationality come to that, the NHS would treat them without the money thing being a problem!!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:03 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The point of my original post was to ask if there was anyway my daughter was covered or not, i did not need a child protection lecture thank you!! and i'm not the one witholding medical treatment, they are.
It's ironic that if this occured to a Canadian in the UK, or any nationality come to that, the NHS would treat them without the money thing being a problem!!
Sorry but now I'm going jump down your throat.

No-one but you is withholding medical care.

I also disagree strongly that cost is not irrelevant. This is your daughter you're talking about, your own flesh and blood and you're worried about a lousy $438 plus the cost of x-rays. My god man give your head a shake.:curse:

You obviously believe that you are entitled to coverage without payment right from the get go, this is not true. The hospital offered care for a fee, you are not in the UK so stop trying to compare. You are now in Ontario and they operate under a completely different set of rules. It's no-ones fault but yours that you are unaware of them.

Also if as I suspect your wife has been out of the province/country for more than seven months then she is no longer covered under OHIP so don't be surprised when the GP presents you with a bill for services rendered if not right away then when she finds the billing for your wife is refused by OHIP.

I strongly suggest you go to the link provided and read it thoroughly.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...p/ohip_mn.html

I also am not totally convinced your assertion that the NHS would offer treatment to a visitor without fee is correct.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 23rd 2007 at 11:35 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:14 am
Cynically amused.

There is little more that I can add to the above post, other to ask the OP to have the goolies to be offensive "in person" as it were, rather than send a PM. I don't care if your £45,000 transfer was "for a house". This is your precious child, your thought process and stated priorities boggle my mind.

You got a "child protection" lecture, because that is what I am - a child protection investigator. I was actually giving you a chance to avoid what could be a nasty outcome for you and your family. Now you really know "who I think I am".
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Emergency for and it cost $350, plus just under $100 for meds.

Otherwise here I must point out I am not a doctor so am not qualified to diagnose, but in my experience there are other injuries beside fractures that can cause a limp and need treating. The sooner the better. A childs bones/muscles aren't developed and so they dont "feel" the pain in the same way an adult would.

IMO if you take a child with an OLD injury in to be seen by Emerge/walk in clinic or family doctor they will likely check for other injuries too. This may entail more than one x-ray so the longer you leave it the more it may cost you.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:55 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Though in the NHS care is given, you are asked if you are a new patient if you are a permanent resident - those who are not are billed. The Uk does have a reciprocal agreement with many countries, but this entails paying the bill immediately and seeking reimbursement later (as I understand it). I understand the frustration, but this does happen in the UK also, just after the care has been given.

I also wanted to add that though a child is limping and able to mobilise on the affected leg, doesnt mean there isnt a fracture there. I hope it turns out well, the situation resolves with your daughter well and you can put this episode behind you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.