Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hospital Costs!!

Hospital Costs!!

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:13 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hospital Costs!!

Originally Posted by qjamesfloyd
Well, we landed on May 30th, and the 1st week was very hectic, but it's getting better now.
The thing is about a week ago, my 16 month old daughter fell backwards off our deck, it's only about 6-8inchs, but she has been walking with a limp, so, we took her to the local hospital, and they said because she does'nt have a medical card(my wife who is Canadian does) we would have to pay C$438 just to see a Doctor, and then if she needed an x-ray it would cost even more, now i don't think she broke anything, because i know what it feels like to break/fracture bones, but there is something wrong, but it's a lot of money, now for emirgration purposes she is considered Canadian, so, surly she that should apply for the hospital too?they said she is still covered under the Britist NHS, so we would have to apply to the NHS to get the money back!!!Now that could take months and months. Also i have travel insurance from Barclays Bank in England though my bank account, would that cover her?

Take her NOW to your local ER/Doctors

You are not in a 3rd world country that does not offer medical careā€¦.No Doctor will refuse medical attention to a child.

*edited by Ray1968 - cruel remarks - not necessary -

Last edited by ray1968; Jun 24th 2007 at 12:00 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qjamesfloyd
Well, we landed on May 30th, and the 1st week was very hectic, but it's getting better now.
The thing is about a week ago, my 16 month old daughter fell backwards off our deck, it's only about 6-8inchs, but she has been walking with a limp, so, we took her to the local hospital, and they said because she does'nt have a medical card(my wife who is Canadian does) we would have to pay C$438 just to see a Doctor, and then if she needed an x-ray it would cost even more, now i don't think she broke anything, because i know what it feels like to break/fracture bones, but there is something wrong, but it's a lot of money, now for emirgration purposes she is considered Canadian, so, surly she that should apply for the hospital too?they said she is still covered under the Britist NHS, so we would have to apply to the NHS to get the money back!!!Now that could take months and months. Also i have travel insurance from Barclays Bank in England though my bank account, would that cover her?
The opposite happened to me while I was on holiday with my then 8 then old in the Uk last July.He fell into a glass table, opened up his knee ., slashed his thigh etc.. rushed him to the E.R. where he had to be operated on I had been told (wrongly) that I was covered. Alas, I was not. dont go thinking that the NHS doesnt collect, because believe me they do and they should. He received excellent care and the medical staff sshould be rewarded for their work. I worked out a payment plan and have since paid it off 100%.

Why are you balking over a few hundred bucks? you said that you will get reimbursed on top of it all. get a payment plan if you need to.I couldnt sleep at night knowing what you know . Get your 16 month old daughter a bloody xray! BTW, who says that she doesnt have a hair-line fracture ? how can you be so sure that she doesn`t have a FX?? please, be a responsible parent and do the right thing.

Sarah, R.N.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:17 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't you take your child to the nearest ER?

The height your child fell from bares no relevance, my son fell from roughly the same height, broke his arm and dislocated his wrist and ended up going into surgery to have his wrist put back into place.

I am no doctor and quite obviously neither are you, therefore taking my son to hospital was my main priority, even though he kept telling me he was fine.

My son was 4.5 when this happened and could quite obviously communicate with us and tell us how he was feeling, your child is only a baby. FFS take your baby to a hospital and have the x-rays done, who cares how much it costs. If it were you that fell and your were in pain wouldn't you go?

I broke a bone in my foot a few months back (my first ever break), and I actually said to my OH if this is how our son felt, my god he is a brave boy, 'coz I am in alot of pain.

Please have your baby see a doctor.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

In 1980 my sister was admitted to ICU,following a sudden
stroke from aneurysm.She was a student in Toronto with no medical
coverage,she was in ICU for 14 days ,medical expenses came to about 24K,
the social worker and OHIP worked with my brother and I regarding payments.
I was about to emigrate there when this crisis happened.
I must say OHIP was fair to us but still it was a lot of debt to pay
as a new immigrant.Sure changed my life completely, meant to land
in Toronto but landed in BC instead ,then to Alberta to
my new job.

If you are worried about medical expenses, the social worker and OHIP
will work it out with you. Don't try to save money on a short term basis
because you don't know what the long term effects would be on your
daughter.You do the right thing and take your daughter to the hospital
now.
Yoong
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

As far as i know,

UK travel insurance is invalid as soon as you are no longer resident in the UK.

Many provinces have a waiting preiod before you are eligible for their health care. (and why not, you havent paid any tax there yet! They have to be funded somehow)

The NHS is certianly not free to non-UK residetns, they have to pay for treatment if needed.

Of course one looks into these things before moving their family, busy or not. And lots has been said about it on here. How hard is it to google the province and health care?

I personally would pay that much to get my cat checked if she were limping, let alone my child.

The hospital did not withhold treatment. They were willing to treat your daughter, and they told you up front how much it would cost. YOU left with your injured child unseen by a trained, qualified, medical expert, that was your choice.

Last edited by Robski; Jun 23rd 2007 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:25 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness - who here with children hasnt made a mistake?? I am not saying that I would have made the same choice, but none of us are actually in the situation, all anyone has to go by is a mere paragraph at best and we have people wishing the child was taken into care. I dont call that encouraging or supportive.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:48 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

Here here.

This person asked for help, guidance and support from those who have been in the system longer.

No one has the right nor the facts on which to say that his daughter should be taken away. Who on earth would say that to someone already in a difficult situation?!

Not everyone moves across with thousands of dollars and every penny has to be accounted for. My kids limp one minute and are running round the next.

I don't want to enter into a debate, I think it's long enough already. I just think that if you don't have anything to say which will actually help this person, then don't say anything at all.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by landhouse
Here here.

This person asked for help, guidance and support from those who have been in the system longer.

No one has the right nor the facts on which to say that his daughter should be taken away. Who on earth would say that to someone already in a difficult situation?!

Not everyone moves across with thousands of dollars and every penny has to be accounted for. My kids limp one minute and are running round the next.

I don't want to enter into a debate, I think it's long enough already. I just think that if you don't have anything to say which will actually help this person, then don't say anything at all.
IMHO emigrating with dependants without proper financial resources is stupid and downright irresponsible.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:28 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

The vast majority of parents anywhere in the world with children, emigrating or not, is fully aware of the responsibilities of being a parent; physically, socially, financially and above all welfare.

I perhaps more than many others, having had a baby 12 weeks premature would have sold my soul to the devil to ensure his welfare. So it's not about going anywhere without enough money. This person had a genuine query, which turned into a witch hunt.

Yes, get the leg seen to, but questioning eligibility over medical care does not make a bad parent.
That's all I have to say.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:10 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. What do we achieve just trashing another member, all based on a snapshot of what they have told us? Some strong conclusions are being drawn here when all we have is the smallest amount of info. If the Medical staff were *that* concerned, they wouldnt have let the child be taken out of there now would they. I took my 8 month old into A+E in the UK because he fell off a chair and was favouring his arm - they wouldnt even x-ray, though I wanted them to. Ultimately *we* arent there to know the situation, so guilting someone is really just compounding what is a pretty traumatic time. Though the money issue was the original point of the thread, it doesnt mean that the poster wasnt anxious and concerned. We dont write threads with balance in mind, we write what is burning at the time. So this certianly wont be the whole picture.

I dont condone not getting the appropriate care for a child, but we arent to know what the real situation here is. And if we want others to act more appropriately, try encouraging them, not bashing them.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:57 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

I might have been harsh in what I said, but we all have our opinions and that is mine., My parents fostered many a child that had been neglected and so I have a very strong opinion on not giving medical care to a child that can not talk for its self.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:13 pm
NS covern member #1

Thats as may be, after having my 3 children, and having worked in the NHS for 16 years, I can tell you that there is often a *wait and see* approach where small children are concerned. X-rays are not without risk and we arent to know how much of a consultation was achieved before cost was raised.

I say give the benefit of the doubt unless you really do know better, and without the full story, you cant possibly.

And for someone who is already anxiously worried about their child, which they would be, as plans were still made for the child to be seen after the weekend, to hear that people considered them *negligent* is cruel.

We all have standards and principles, and they all differ. We can all get caught out when we think we are doing the right thing. We learn better, there's no shame in that. But being scathing to someone in that process is mean beyond words and uncalled for. Its heartbreaking to ever think that you have in anyway let down your own child, I dont care who you are and the OP would be no different.

Glad though, you realise that your words were harsh.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Thats as may be, after having my 3 children, and having worked in the NHS for 16 years, I can tell you that there is often a *wait and see* approach where small children are concerned. X-rays are not without risk and we arent to know how much of a consultation was achieved before cost was raised.

I say give the benefit of the doubt unless you really do know better, and without the full story, you cant possibly.

And for someone who is already anxiously worried about their child, which they would be, as plans were still made for the child to be seen after the weekend, to hear that people considered them *negligent* is cruel.

We all have standards and principles, and they all differ. We can all get caught out when we think we are doing the right thing. We learn better, there's no shame in that. But being scathing to someone in that process is mean beyond words and uncalled for. Its heartbreaking to ever think that you have in anyway let down your own child, I dont care who you are and the OP would be no different.

I still don't see how you can defend these actions.

The man thought the injuries serious enough to take the child to a hospital for medical evaluation. It was only when he was told it would cost him money that he walked away.

Is this not letting the child down? :curse:

What he did is indefensible.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2

Good to see a more balanced opinion amongst the majority of judgemental waffle on this thread. Still, it's a forum and you have to be careful about what you ask here because it's a bit like the school playground at times.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:16 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

When we were visiting in 2004 we went skiing for a day, and our eldest broke his wrist. It was obviously broken and there was no question of his not needing hospital treatment, so we took him to Banff ER.

The procedure was Name? Alberta health? No? Credit card? .... before they even saw him.
I suppose it made sense, but we were slightly taken aback at the time.

In fact the whole thing including Xrays (pre and post manipulation), the sedation and the doctor's and nursing staff's time and all materials came to around $380 if I remember. We actually were quite relieved it wasn't more, and the care was excellent.

We didn't think our insurance with Canadian Affair would cover it as the medical report quite clearly stated that the accident happened while skiing, but thought we'd not lose anything by submitting a claim, and to our surprise they paid in full!

Result! And the bonus for me was that we didn't have to go skiing the next day, so my bruised bum got a rest!!!

I think we reckoned that we actually SAVED money, even if the insurance had not paid, as we'd planned another three days skiing for 4 of us, with the cost of passes and equipment hire etc etc etc.....
ps Don't tell Andrew that though!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jun 24th 2007 at 6:19 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.