Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Wikiposts

Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:16 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Sorry just read a bit more on it. . . .it was a pay party - no my nearly 16 year old would not have been going . .
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:48 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
just realized i got you and the OP mixred up. You are not even here. How can something that happened in a province on teh other side of the nation impact your perception of how your kids will fair here any more than it happened in on the east coast of the US, for instance which is closer?
You've lost me here. Because I live in Ontario, I am not allowed to comment on occurances in BC? Really? I think you really are labouring a point, why is a mystery to me.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:45 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
No, and he didn't know at the time either. Fantasies are usually that so the chances are that it was not consensual. Drunks are not capable of consent.
Disagree.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:56 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
New poster: We live in a grotty council estate in a grim northern town surrounded by crime and I don't see future for my kids here. I want to move to Canada to give them a better life.

Existing poster (who has happened to mention a couple of times that he drives a Mercedes and earns over £100,000): You don't need to move to Canada to do that. The Cotswolds are nice.

New poster: But kids in Canada seem to be much politer than the chavs around here. They seem to stay kids for longer.

Existing poster (yes, it's the childless el-richo again): Kids are kids. Here is an example of kids being involved with crime in Canada:

link

and another

link

and another

as so on ad nauseam.

The above, while not exactly edifying, is still IMO within bounds. However, when the new poster's aspirations haven't been completely crushed by the self-appointed pissers on peoples' parades the responses turn to:

You don't really care about your kids. You are just using them as an excuse to move to a place where you can buy a big house and lots of toys (subtext: you are selfish and bad parents)

Then a line has been crossed. I find it particular unpleasant when this type of insult is thrown by someone you doesn't have children. I have to ask who the hell do they think they are to pass judgment?
Brilliant.

If you could supply a link/s to where i've stated "You don't really care about your kids. You are just using them as an excuse to move to a place where you can buy a big house and lots of toys", that would be great
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JonboyE again
I don't remember the last time I gave Rep, but that post was so accurate in terms of the way things often go here.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:11 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
You've lost me here. Because I live in Ontario, I am not allowed to comment on occurances in BC? Really? I think you really are labouring a point, why is a mystery to me.
you can comment on whatever you want. But to suggest that an incident that has happened thousands of miles from you as impacted the reasons you moved to Canada (for the kids) is really daft.

So much for this whole notion of moving for a better life for "the kids". - your words not mine

Unless of course you don't have kids and you are just making general comments which are as equally daft, since one isolated incident should not be taken out of context which appears to be the case. Or if you are making such comments to highlight the generalizations that are made by many wishing to move here, then....well we've already done that one to death, haven't we.

i thought my comment was pretty clear - hopefully one is not still lost

And since i was so accommodating...what point exactly am I labouring?

Last edited by dboy; Sep 18th 2010 at 12:17 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:48 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

you can comment on whatever you want. But to suggest that an incident that has happened thousands of miles from you as impacted the reasons you moved to Canada (for the kids) is really daft.

So much for this whole notion of moving for a better life for "the kids". - your words not mine

Unless of course you don't have kids and you are just making general comments which are as equally daft, since one isolated incident should not be taken out of context which appears to be the case. Or if you are making such comments to highlight the generalizations that are made by many wishing to move here, then....well we've already done that one to death, haven't we.

i thought my comment was pretty clear - hopefully one is not still lost

And since i was so accommodating...what point exactly am I labouring?

I shit you not, I have no idea what point you are now labouring. You seem to be off on a tangent that is clear to you and you only. Really, you are on your own on this one, I am completely lost as to what you are on about. Perhaps that is because you seem to be making immense assumptions and allocating attitudes to me that do not exist. Don't feel the need to the need to try and explain any further though, you are trolling this to death as it is.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

fair enough. But i see the reverse happening here. I just don't want to see all Canadian kids tar and feathered due to actions of a very, very small minority.
Loathsome as I find Canadian kids to be, I wasn't suggesting that there's a cradle culture of gang rape. Rather I wondered if all the people at this party were from a cultural group for whom gang rape is usual; that seems to be typically the case in France and the UK and accounts for the inability of the police there to do anything about the fashion.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interetesd to hear from parents whose MAIN motive, was to build a better life for their children - ie away from chavs, gang culture etc.

Where did you live before - middle class suburb, working class council estate etc, and where are you now (aside from a different country!) and how it is so different to the life you were getting away from, and did it work.

or

Is a better life for the children more of an afterthought as opposed to a main reason?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:54 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I would be interetesd to hear from parents whose MAIN motive, was to build a better life for their children - ie away from chavs, gang culture etc.

Where did you live before - middle class suburb, working class council estate etc, and where are you now (aside from a different country!) and how it is so different to the life you were getting away from, and did it work.

or

Is a better life for the children more of an afterthought as opposed to a main reason?
Well I suppose we are typical middle class suburbanites and yes one of the main reason of moving was to get away from London and give the kids more freedom to be kids for longer - but not with such a blinkered view that x y or z country or city will be utopia with no problems, gangs, murders etc. . .

Maybe coming from London I do find Vancouver safer generally. My then just 15 year old often trollied downtown for the free gigs during the olympics, with her mates - if it had been London - no way would she have been going on her own!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:32 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Well I suppose we are typical middle class suburbanites and yes one of the main reason of moving was to get away from London and give the kids more freedom to be kids for longer - but not with such a blinkered view that x y or z country or city will be utopia with no problems, gangs, murders etc. . .

Maybe coming from London I do find Vancouver safer generally. My then just 15 year old often trollied downtown for the free gigs during the olympics, with her mates - if it had been London - no way would she have been going on her own!
But do you think if you've got 'good' kids - then they'll be good whether they live in a dodgy council estate, or in a big 'ouse in Canada with lots of room.

Your kids seem grounded and sensible Caz.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:48 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
But do you think if you've got 'good' kids - then they'll be good whether they live in a dodgy council estate, or in a big 'ouse in Canada with lots of room.

Your kids seem grounded and sensible Caz.
Yup -Mine know I will beat 7 bales of crap out of them if they step out of line. I expect manners etc - had a kid here today - hardly spoke, tried to leave table before we had all finished - Oh no no no - he was saying please and thank you by the end of the day and waited at the table til we had all finished dinner!
god that kid must hate me - he is 13 and doing the harumphing Kevin act!!

Asked him if he would like some lasagna- he just shrugged his shoulders . . . .Oh had to tell me to go get the drinks as I had "the Look" - even dear daughter sniggered!!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Yup -Mine know I will beat 7 bales of crap out of them if they step out of line. I expect manners etc - had a kid here today - hardly spoke, tried to leave table before we had all finished - Oh no no no - he was saying please and thank you by the end of the day and waited at the table til we had all finished dinner!
god that kid must hate me - he is 13 and doing the harumphing Kevin act!!

Asked him if he would like some lasagna- he just shrugged his shoulders . . . .Oh had to tell me to go get the drinks as I had "the Look" - even dear daughter sniggered!!
You sound like my mum.

"Please may i leave the table, and thank you"

We had many a shoe thrown at us when we did step out of line, we grew up in a grotty northern area, and we've done ok for ourselves. This included moving away for better opportunities, but it didn't include flying thousands of miles to obtain it.

Last edited by el_richo; Sep 18th 2010 at 9:33 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:27 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You sound like my mum.

"Please may i leave the table, and thank you"

We had many a shoe thrown at us when we did step out of line, we grew up in a grotty northern area, and we've done ok for ourselves. This included moving away for better opportunities, but it didn't include flying thousands of miles to obtain it.
Im 43 and my old man still tries, 'the look'.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:07 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Im 43 and my old man still tries, 'the look'.

We were much more scared of my dad who didn't lay a finger on us, ever, compared to my mum who was the "enforcer".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.