Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Horrific incident affecting our local kids

It's gone viral. Lots of misinformation and kids attacking each other on FB. Terrible circumstances. The kids I teach are forming camps. The poor family is being dragged through it all repeatedly.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Teen...207/story.html
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:24 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrific incident affecting our local kids

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Teen...127/story.html

Impressive, even for those used to reading the Daily Mail:

"This heinous assault reflects the rotten core of our permissive society, especially in the Lower Mainland suburbs, still widely thought of as pleasant, leafy places to live, when too often they've become incubators of serious crime . . . and killing fields for drug gangs."

"My overall view is that, in rejecting organized religion, our me-first society has lost its moral compass. We may have become adept at hugging trees, but we've lost the ability to behave decently toward our fellow human beings."

I'd forgotten just how special The Province was.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

And you decided to spread it about some more? Jeez.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I especially liked the "we are too decent to show the pictures of the rape but for your vicarious pleasure we can show you where it happened" picture.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:43 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Never mind the crappy reporting and writing, how about being digusted by these awful children that stand around watching this level of violence. Do they not know right from wrong? So much for this whole notion of moving for a better life for "the kids".
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
"My overall view is that, in rejecting organized religion, our me-first society has lost its moral compass. We may have become adept at hugging trees, but we've lost the ability to behave decently toward our fellow human beings."
What a twat.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not the best article, and I wouldnt take sweeties from any man that looked like the column writer, but now that a few cheap shots have been delivered can we get back to the topic, rather than the ways its been reported...

Having lived through the local backlash of the attacks by the CFB Trenton Base commander, I can only begin to imagine how it must be to be in the area where these recent events occured, and you do wonder what the hell would make anyone film it and then post to FB. Society, dogs etc.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Not the best article
The one linked to earlier in the day, from some other local paper, was no better written but this is a case I think might make it to the proper papers. The fact that the pictures are on the internet means that they'll never go away. If the victim recovers sufficiently to take a regular job then someone at that workplace will google them, they'll follow her everywhere. This, I think, renders irreparable harm in a way that surpasses even the gang rape.

I also think, btw, that the phrase "gone viral" in the original post wasn't the best choice of words.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Pillock. It's out there. This is meant to be an adult forum for discussion and debate, not the FB the kids are using to spread the tattling and finger pointing. Keep your useless jibes to yourself, thank you.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:07 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

head, sand.

I'm amazed people are forming camps. What other camp is there than supporting that poor girl?

ugh ugh and a thousand times ugh.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:23 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
Pillock. It's out there. This is meant to be an adult forum for discussion and debate, not the FB the kids are using to spread the tattling and finger pointing. Keep your useless jibes to yourself, thank you.
Charmed.

I just re-read your opening post, and am now that I understand that you are a teacher, I'm even more disturbed by your decision to post this salacious newspaper version.

Surely, as one who allegedly has childrens' welfare at heart, posting this sort of drivel is perpetuating the "gone viral" problem, as you put it.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:43 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Jing, you'd have an argument if she'd posted a link to the rape photos (blech).

I think this event brings up some bigger issues. Like, how to deal with the 'net when any twat can post photos and share them with a million of his/her twat friends thereby multiplying the first crime into infinity.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Jing, you'd have an argument if she'd posted a link to the rape photos (blech).

I think this event brings up some bigger issues. Like, how to deal with the 'net when any twat can post photos and share them with a million of his/her twat friends thereby multiplying the first crime into infinity.
Thank you Kiwilass. If Jings had actually read what I originally posted, he'd have noticed the line, 'Lots of misinformation and kids attacking each other on FB', which is exactly the point. I raised this to point out how the kids are reacting to it ON FB and forming camps siding with and against the poor lass. It has gone viral (on the kids' FBs) and the police are dealing with it as best they can, I suspect, given the horrific nature of the incident. The link was an example (just one among many) of the type and style of reporting. I didn't comment on it, I didn't post any pics (as you mentioned, don't want to see them, either), I didn't provide any further links. What I did do was to raise awareness about how the kids are dealing with this issue. I've been involved with student discussions on the matter, some of which became quite heated. Media are camped outside two high schools in MR waiting to pounce as they glean, share, inform and misinform the public. Other than make the original statement, I doubt I've done anything more to get kids racing frantically to and fro in their search for more. That job's being done as we speak on FB.

Jings, I take back what I said about you. I'm sorry. Forgive me. You're clearly not a pillock; just an arse.

Cheers
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:11 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Teen...127/story.html

Impressive, even for those used to reading the Daily Mail:

"This heinous assault reflects the rotten core of our permissive society, especially in the Lower Mainland suburbs, still widely thought of as pleasant, leafy places to live, when too often they've become incubators of serious crime . . . and killing fields for drug gangs."

I'd forgotten just how special The Province was.
I agree. 50 - 60 murders a year for an area of 2.5 million is very low. As for sexual assaults..... yes they happen. As for human decency, we've done a pretty good job since the birth of time and killing, violating and maiming each other.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:15 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Never mind the crappy reporting and writing, how about being digusted by these awful children that stand around watching this level of violence. Do they not know right from wrong? So much for this whole notion of moving for a better life for "the kids".
aw come one. keep things in perspective. This type of things happens and i can tell you, having investigated them before, that it's nothing new. What is unique is the social media aspect of what happended, otherwise it would not have gotten the media coverage it had.

Reality check people.....bad stuff happens, happens everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.