Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Wikiposts

Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:30 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrific incident affecting our local kids

Originally Posted by fledermaus
And what was the reaction of the men?? I'm curious about why you only posted the women's comments.
The men? Boys will be boys, what a jolly jape, nudge nudge, wink wink, I bet she loved it.

I would have expected a bit more sympathy from her female colleagues. I posted it because I thought it mirrored, in some way, the reported reaction of some of the contemporaries of the poor girl in Pitt Meadows.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:31 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
terrible. Under Canadian law, incidentally, there is no implied consent and it is assumed that if someone is unable to consent, there is none. I suspect its the same in the UK.

I should imagine if it happened today, someone would have pulled out their cell phone and gotten a good couple of shots and circulated same on the office intranet.
I'm unable to comprehend the mindset that would take part in such an act.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:33 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't think this is unique to Canada. Drunk kids getting out of hand happens in most liberal societies - though usually it's just normal teenage shenanigans rather than gang rape. I don't disagree with your previous postings about how this probably occurred, and I also agree that you can find equivalent cases in other similarly developed countries.

The sad thing is that one of your colleagues was on TV a day or so beforehand warning parents about their kids going to this kind of party. He specifically warned about sexual assaults after some girl was assaulted at a pre term bush party and that because of social media these parties were attended by 100's and as such were hard to control.
I should imagine that such advice is very relevant. Lots of kids, booze and drugs and no adults around = problems. Hardly a new situation that should come as a surprise. Highlights the need to monitor what our kids are doing on line.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:34 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would normally say the same, but sadly, most things don't come as a shock to me anymore.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:38 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The men? Boys will be boys, what a jolly jape, nudge nudge, wink wink, I bet she loved it.

I would have expected a bit more sympathy from her female colleagues. I posted it because I thought it mirrored, in some way, the reported reaction of some of the contemporaries of the poor girl in Pitt Meadows.
Do you feel any guilt because you didn't (or couldn't) do anything to stop it? I'd like to think I'd have said something, but looking back to when I was 21 I expect I'd have probably done the same as you. This isn't good for my self image.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by dboy
I should imagine that such advice is very relevant.
In this case it was prescient; he was very specific. "Do you want your young teenage daughters going to parties where there will be 100's of drunk teenage boys and adult men" was pretty much what he said.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:48 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

That makes me feel sick to read that.

It does mirror the case in Pitt Meadows and I don't see much that's different in the case that you observed and did nothing about and Pitt Meadows. Except that in yours there were adults involved who should definitely have known better.

Why do you expect women to have more sympathy than men? Both sexes should be supportive of someone who has been assaulted in this way. Your post offers a horrible view of the world where men and women condone these rapes.

I refuse to believe that there are not decent people out there who would know that this behaviour is wrong.

I don't understand the women's comments either, it all adds to the notion that someone who has sex with many partners is fair game and somehow relinquishes her right to refuse consent.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

I can't help thinking of something that happened 30 years ago. I was working as an accounts clerk for a bank in the City. The Christmas party was long and boozy. As I was about to leave a colleague whispered to me that I should look at what was happening in the board room.

What was happening in the boardroom was that eight men (some senior manager and the product of elite public schools and universities) were standing with their pants around their ankles and their todgers out waiting for their turn to shag a pissed secretary on the boardroom table.

I didn't do anything at the time other than decline to participate. In the light of this story I can help but wonder how pissed she was, and if any meaningful consent was involved.

I can also remember the next day once the gossip had got around the office. The reaction of the majority of women was, "well, she's no better than she ought to be."
This is sad. Is this part of British pub or corporate culture or what? Gang raping a coworker?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:11 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody said this secretary was GR. The poster does not know if that was the case or it was her lifelong fantasy. Who knows ?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tangram
Nobody said this secretary was GR. The poster does not know if that was the case or it was her lifelong fantasy. Who knows ?
That doesn't matter. You don't do that kind of sh*t to your coworker, even if she gets drunk and begs. This is despicable, worse than what the kids did. Should know better, shouldn't ya?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:22 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I can, unfortunately. Sounds like a lot of the guys I went to school/uni with.

Re: is it worse now, is it Canada, etc. I don't think anything has changed, it's just more accessible now with the technology. I can think of equivalent things that happened while I was at school - private school. Like the boys who shoved a pool cue up another boy's arse @ the school.

But, back then, it was much easier to hush everything up. On the other hand, the poor barstard that got the cue up the bum doesn't have to live for the rest of his life with pictures of it on the interwebz.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
No, and he didn't know at the time either. Fantasies are usually that so the chances are that it was not consensual. Drunks are not capable of consent.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Do you feel any guilt because you didn't (or couldn't) do anything to stop it?
Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't see much that's different in the case that you observed and did nothing about
I hope that I now have more courage to stand up for what I think is right than I did then.

I also hope I never have to put that hope to the test - just in case it turns out that I don't.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:50 am
Account Closed

I hope that I now have more courage to stand up for what I think is right than I did then.

I also hope I never have to put that hope to the test - just in case it turns out that I don't.
I hear you. Hindsight is a wonderful thing when we consider all we might have done.

Next time set the fire alarm off.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:14 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

In this case it was prescient; he was very specific. "Do you want your young teenage daughters going to parties where there will be 100's of drunk teenage boys and adult men" was pretty much what he said.
Big party, middle of nowhere, alcohol and drugs - no dear you wont be going is my response. BUT having said that if I lived in The Ridge and my daughter was going with friend and knew the party hoster, maybe I would . . .

was this a general party or something they had to buy a ticket for.

am confused as to why they are suddenly RAVE parties, have they not be happening for years - acccciiiiid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.