Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Homesickness and Universities

Homesickness and Universities

Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness and Universities

Originally Posted by Edo
The Canadian university educations isnt so bad and the UK isnt what it used to be anymore.
Isn't so bad? Depending on the school it can be excellent. And depending on the school and/or program it can be among the best in the world.

The apps for iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4 just dont seem to work on this side of the Atlantic.

If you mask your IP address they do.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
colchar, is your PhD in a scientific subject, something very mathematical?
No.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
. . . And depending on the school and/or program it can be among the best in the world.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:29 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do go on ...
...curling?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

EllenLouise04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Not going to go through the whole thing..

but

you are old enough to travel, you should def go to the uk

one of two things will probably happen

1. It is clear for you that you want to return to the uk

2. You realise the memory of all the good things slowly ommitted some of the less than perfect and actually its ok to visit but is not some amazing place that you have built up for years in your memory.

A Summer in the UK, a year of work experience in the UK post High School.. then you get to choose

If you are not designed to be somewhere do not be there, you only live once
Thanks 6monthshere6monthsthere
I think that may be the best option for me thanks! I am a little torn because I do love the Canadian summer and have good friends.

That would be ideal for me, although I do feel as though going back for my gap year will either make me want to live back at home, in that case postpone uni for another three years so I will be verging onto 21 going into university or as you said make me realize that I am better off in Canada.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
You disagree?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

AJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant future

My daughter also came to Canada with us albeit just a few months ago. She is 18 and we gave her the option of studying here or going back to Scotland to University. After a fair bit of research she decided to return to Scotland to do her degree. That's the background lol, to the original poster, although she loves being home in Scotland and stays just a short distance away from family and friends she also made whole lot of new uni friends which means she sees less of the family and old friends than she thought she would. We have also had tearful days when we facetime and she is clearly missing us. The homesickness works in both directions honey, it's not all down to the place it's the people and the security they provide you with that are important too. You are reaching an age when it's exciting to spread your wings and explore the world, university is a big step but remember when you go you are not living at home you are living with new people all in the same boat but from lots of different places and the familiarity has to be re-established. Have you considered looking at a university here with a foreign exchange programme in the UK, this might let you have a few more options to consider.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

EllenLouise04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJRowan
My daughter also came to Canada with us albeit just a few months ago. She is 18 and we gave her the option of studying here or going back to Scotland to University. After a fair bit of research she decided to return to Scotland to do her degree. That's the background lol, to the original poster, although she loves being home in Scotland and stays just a short distance away from family and friends she also made whole lot of new uni friends which means she sees less of the family and old friends than she thought she would. We have also had tearful days when we facetime and she is clearly missing us. The homesickness works in both directions honey, it's not all down to the place it's the people and the security they provide you with that are important too. You are reaching an age when it's exciting to spread your wings and explore the world, university is a big step but remember when you go you are not living at home you are living with new people all in the same boat but from lots of different places and the familiarity has to be re-established. Have you considered looking at a university here with a foreign exchange programme in the UK, this might let you have a few more options to consider.
Thank you! That is very true! I am going to be looking into foreign exchange programs, I feel like that will make a difference! I am a bit of a home bird so it frightens me when I have to move somewhere settle down and move again to establish new friendships. Although, it would be a brilliant life experience. I will check it out.