Homesickness

Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Hi guys,

I spent the 1st 6 months not being able to work and I was homesick for my old job - which I didn't think I really liked, but it must of been ok if I missed it

Then my Mum had 2/3rds of her liver removed to get to the bile duct cancer she had only 2 out 10 survive the op, that was hard, had I jumped on the next plane I don't think she would have made it - it would have been like me coming back to say goodbye, she wants to go ice skating on the pond with her grand daughter now though.

I finally got a work permit in December and an Okay job in Feb - hours are what is important to me, the pay is lousy, i'm part time for the 1st time since my daughter was 2 so i'm home when she gets back from school - she is now 11, I just sacrifice one sunday a month.

Of course I miss family of course I miss food items and take outs. I don't miss being intimidated by a group of 10 year olds, stepping over vomit, waking up at all hours to police sirens and car alarms, both hubby and I working full time with no time for each other apart from when we go on our two weeks holiday each year. No we didn't live in an inner city area we lived in a rural market town in Bedfordshire.

At no time did I want to go back to Blighty during my down times, all I have to do is look at what we have here - not just possesions, but the way of life the people the mountains, the opportunities. I would hate to go back, I have been here a year and 18 days on a work permit, I just pray our PR doesn't get turned down, if it does we wouldn't go back to Blighty!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:38 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Hi Bleech, remember me? Not been on the forum for ages and hardly at all in 6 months. Why?? I loooooooove it here. Cant tell you how much. and not one day has gone by when I dont tell myself it. My husband too, he got a job within a few weeks. I never think of Uk and never refer to it as "home" Daughter hated it at first went home in February, calling me all names under the sun for bringing her, then rang to say can she get an earlier flight back!! On return she walked into a Sports store and asked if they had partime jobs, they gave her an interview next day and got offered a job on the spot. She tried home schooling, but hated going over what she has already done., met some great people where she works and has now got a social life.
She is off diving tonight, doing her PADI course. She is hoping to continue to become instructor. What with skiing in the winter, kayaking etc. lifes a real bitch!!!!!

I am also working from home as an artist. Life is sooooooo good. House has gone up about 40% in 1 year, since we built and is looking to double in value by the time we have finished all landscaping etc. Prices have gone mad here, and see no sign in stopping.

Nothing I "miss" just things I had become used to needed to find an alternative. Nipping into M&S for a sandwich and small pack of crisps....... Nope I have to have a foot long "Sub" and chips that take the roof off my mouth!!!

What I dont like....... Peanut butter, cinnamon, yellow tasteless cheese everything, and flavoured coffees!!!!!!! easy solution dont eat them!! never did so dont miss them!!

glad you are hear and happy.......

Originally Posted by Bleech
How long did it take you to get homesick? If at all!
Just wondering as we've been here 3 months now and not had one ounce of homesickness yet Early days though I know.
Does it just hit you one day? Or is it a gradual buildup?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:42 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davio28
aye i is sherlock holmes long lost cousin

i also live in Calgary not far from crowfoot just wondering thats all
aint that funny, theres a few of us along that corridor then
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
aint that funny, theres a few of us along that corridor then
Really small world eh!!! Who else is from round here Butch? I find i miss the English accent even just having someone to talk to about home.

Ive only been here a year so far and iam not as homesick as i once was iam glad to say. Ive got to say its nice here lots of good points.

Iam up in Royal Oak by the way but were soon to move this December down near Canada Olympic Park. Crestmont is the name of the place its nice and quite and out of the way.

So where abouts in U.K. where you from Butch? And how long you been here?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:54 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davio28
Really small world eh!!! Who else is from round here Butch? I find i miss the English accent even just having someone to talk to about home.

Ive only been here a year so far and iam not as homesick as i once was iam glad to say. Ive got to say its nice here lots of good points.

Iam up in Royal Oak by the way but were soon to move this December down near Canada Olympic Park. Crestmont is the name of the place its nice and quite and out of the way.

So where abouts in U.K. where you from Butch? And how long you been here?
Morwenna is next door to you.
I'm across the road.
Steve is a couple of miles down the road.
I'm from Lancashire
been here 14 weeks
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I'm across the road.
I'm from Lancashire
been here 14 weeks
Jeeeze - you left me out again! A girl could get a complex you know!

(Hi davio - I'm just down the road from you, too - about five mins from your new place I sometimes come up to the shops at Royal Oak)
Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:10 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm across the road.
I'm from Lancashire
been here 14 weeks
Hey butch I'm going to St Annes/Blackpool at the weekend to see family, Lancashire's a big place though is it? Are you from anywhere near there lol
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Calgal
Jeeeze - you left me out again! A girl could get a complex you know!

(Hi davio - I'm just down the road from you, too - about five mins from your new place I sometimes come up to the shops at Royal Oak)
Erm you wouldnt tell me where u were
LOL

hang on if youre 5 mins from crestmont are u on the crowchild\crowfoot corridor?????

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Jun 21st 2006 at 11:12 am.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Hey butch I'm going to St Annes/Blackpool at the weekend to see family, Lancashire's a big place though is it? Are you from anywhere near there lol
eee bi'gum lass tha's reet lankashurs a big place. bur i'm frum t'other side o'county.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:37 am

eee bi'gum lass tha's reet lankashurs a big place. bur i'm frum t'other side o'county.
Ha ha reminds me of my Gran and Grandad. I always found it funny when my Gran used to ask me (when I was younger) "are you courting yet?" in their accent lol

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Jun 21st 2006 at 11:38 am. Reason: adding
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Ha ha reminds me of my Gran and Grandad. I always found it funny when my Gran used to ask me (when I was younger) "are you courting yet?" in their accent lol
I din kno as thi tawk'd propur in edinburur!!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:40 pm

I din kno as thi tawk'd propur in edinburur!!

OchyeraweebitluckyasahdinnaecomefaeEdinburger. lol
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm across the road.
I'm from Lancashire
been here 14 weeks
heh added you all to my buddy list hope you dont mind. theres more english living next to me than id thought

and hello to you too calgal. yeah seems to me there isnt many shops near crestmont. i think they should introduce the corner shop to canada!!!