Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Home Education

Home Education

Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Education

Originally Posted by The_Bax
THEIR knowledge of war is greatly lessened for not having been shot (or at least shot at). They can recite the established facts; they can repeat, or on occasion discuss, the political opinions that prevailed at he time; what they cannot do is relate the sheer horror of being the target, the tedium of being a drone, the elation of being the victor. How is that different from rounded reading, open discussion, visits to museums, war graves, battlefields etc. Oh yes, its boring and its conformist.
Look at me, I can accuse others of being conformists whist I am aggressively conforming to a stereotype myself. You sound a bit like a John Fardell cartoon character. Do you have a son called Tarquin?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Look at me, I can accuse others of being conformists whist I am aggressively conforming to a stereotype myself. You sound a bit like a John Fardell cartoon character. Do you have a son called Tarquin?

Or a daughter called, Guinevere?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:06 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink

You arent kidding are you!
Nope - and don't start me on your apostrophe abuse either!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:16 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apart from the argument that withdrawing a child from the system and home schooling undermines the ability of public education and thus the common good, the evidence suggests that overall, it makes no difference to child's academic achievement whether they are home or publicly educated. So, unless the trend increases dramatically and thus pulls resources from the public system, I can't see why anybody is bothered how other people educate their children.
I think there have been some good arguments on here for it. some personal circumstances i have read where i thought, good on you, you have my utmost respect for taking on such a difficult job and doing obviously very well at it. there is certainly a place for it due to certain individual circumstances.

its not something that keeps me awake at night, i am all for choice. however, seeing how really far out some of these parents are, i wonder whether when they start to brainwash their children with the same ideas does it border on abuse. if so, society has a duty to become involved.

Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Or a daughter called, Guinevere?
Guin is a boy The erstwhile parents don't believe in gendered name conformity.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:18 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Bax
Nope - and don't start me on your apostrophe abuse either!
grief, is this where we have arrived at? don't tell me, your grammar is better because you were home schooled. i don't know if you are aware but it's generally accepted on here when you resort to the grammar nazi approach your argument is dead.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

As Alan said mad people shouldn't have children let alone educate them. That said, I wouldn't let that annoying twat Louis Theroux near any children either.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have very much against it. I think education is children learning things their parents don't know. An element of that is academic, clever people standing in front of a class imparting knowledge and, for that, there are home options. Another element though is children meeting people from cultures their parents don't know and you can't fake that at home, you have to push the children out into the multiculture to meet whomever they meet.
+1

Education isn't about sheltering kids, it's about exposing them to knowledge and experiences. To be honest, an adult could learn the entire junior high (grade 7-9) curriculum in 3 weeks. It takes kids 3 years because they are learning all the other stuff: self discipline, peer interaction, how to fit in, who they are as a person, what their values are, making mistakes, learning to get back up after making mistakes, etc., etc., etc.

All things being equal I would never home school my kids - my wife and I both have education degrees and teaching backgrounds -because they would miss out on so much. My daughter was in French immersion, for example.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Guin is a boy The erstwhile parents don't believe in gendered name conformity.
You're right, I just had another look.
rae
Settled.

As Alan said mad people shouldn't have children let alone educate them. That said, I wouldn't let that annoying twat Louis Theroux near any children either.
i quite like louis, he takes the piss in a sort of quiet i don't want to get beat up by you way.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:30 pm

So what are the distinctions between, education, socialization, acculturation and indoctrination, apart from some is good, some aren't?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:38 pm
rae
Settled.

So what are the distinctions between, education, socialization, acculturation and indoctrination, apart from some is good, some aren't?
thats certainly way to deep for plod from the comp. can we talk some more about louis, i like louis.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by rae
thats certainly way to deep for plod from the comp. can we talk some more about louis, i like louis.
Well I think he's boring, he does the same old crap all the time. The premise of the show is always, look how crazy, crazy people are. It gets old very quickly.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:47 pm

Well I think he's boring, he does the same old crap all the time. The premise of the show is always, look how crazy, crazy people are. It gets old very quickly.
I think he's ok for the occasional one off show. But a series is boring for that very reason. I quite enjoyed his crazy meth head show a while back, but that's the first one I've seen for years.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:12 pm
rae
Settled.

well yes, but thats like saying footy is boring because its the same thing week in week out, same premise, kick a ball around........ louis has a style and a kind of investigative journalism that is unique to him and i like it so there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.