Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Home Education

Home Education

Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:10 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Education

This was locked but now its unlocked ?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:13 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Bax
You know quite a bit about the basics of those things in the same way as you can teach a blind man the physics behind light being defracted by atmospheric water droplets and being split into its component colours in sequence. The blind man will never experience the wonder of seeing a rainbow in the same way as you will never experience the wonders of those things you have not done.
experiencing the wonders of something i have never done is somewhat different to your first and rather obnoxious suggestion that by having not done it, I KNOW NOTHING. there are plenty of history teachers out there who will not have experienced any of what they are teaching, i have a feeling they know quite a bit about it though and there knowledge of a war for instance, is in no way lessened for not being shot.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyS
That made me laugh, and so true!

The lady who we're renting from at the moment home schools, she has four boys aged between 2 and 11 and is due a 5th.
Catholic by any chance? I only ask because the family I know that home schools is very catholic, catholic enough that they dont send their many kids to school in case they are waylaid from the true faith by the brand of catholism watered down and dished out in the catholic board schools now. All a bit odd.

When the time comes I guess I will be home schooling my daughter (who attends the catholic school) about the joys of birth control...

Last edited by iaink; Dec 10th 2009 at 8:16 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:15 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

why???
i think there have been some good arguments for home schooling and some nice personal experiences shared. i'm not for it, and i'm not for someone shoving it down my throat like its the be all and end all. it works for some so fair play in their individual circumstances, not because you are a pagan.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
This was locked but now its unlocked ?
God knows Im tempted to close it if it gets nasty.

Personally I think its probably run its course as far as answering the original question, and now its just descending into "Im right, you are wrong" arguments about the pros and cons of home schooling, which is largely pointless and likely to go downhill fast.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
CAtholic by any chance? i only ask because the family I know that home schools is very catholic, catholic enough that they dont send thier many kids to school in case they are waylaid from the true faith by the brand of catholism watered down and dished out in the catholic board schools now. All a bit odd.

When the time comes I guess I will be home schooling my daughter (who attends the catholic school) about the joys of birth control...
I don't think they are, i've not had any odd religious vibes

She said she hates getting up and doing the school runs... must be that.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:17 pm
rae
Settled.

[QUOTE=iaink;8163200]CAtholic by any chance? i only ask because the family I know that home schools is very catholic, catholic enough that they dont send their many kids to school in case they are waylaid from the true faith by the brand of catholism watered down and dished out in the catholic board schools now. QUOTE]

and this is the bit i am strongly against. biased secular parents indoctrinating their offspring. though apparently they grow to be contributing active members of society. bollox.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by WendyS
I don't think they are, i've not had any odd religious vibes

She said she hates getting up and doing the school runs... must be that.
Originally Posted by rae

and this is the bit i am strongly against. biased secular parents indoctrinating their offspring. though apparently they grow to be contributing active members of society. bollox.
Well, I can sympathise with the school run, and to be fair they live as far from town as we do. Its bad enough getting one kid ready to leave at 7:40 (6:45 IF she had to get the bus!), and I'm not looking forward to next year when it will be double trouble for us. Six (or is it seven new?) kids under ten to get ready.... Bring on the homeschooling!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

AberystwythGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your ongoing interest in this subject. You have come up with some interesting ideas. However my initial interest in finding anyone in the Penticton region who is currently home educating seems to have turned up a negative. Thank you all once again. Regards and best wishes. AG
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
I think you'll find they are biased religious parents rather than secular. I refer you to my previous comment regarding mad people being involved in education.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:33 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rae
experiencing the wonders of something i have never done is somewhat different to your first and rather obnoxious suggestion that by having not done it, I KNOW NOTHING. there are plenty of history teachers out there who will not have experienced any of what they are teaching, i have a feeling they know quite a bit about it though and there knowledge of a war for instance, is in no way lessened for not being shot.
THEIR knowledge of war is greatly lessened for not having been shot (or at least shot at). They can recite the established facts; they can repeat, or on occasion discuss, the political opinions that prevailed at he time; what they cannot do is relate the sheer horror of being the target, the tedium of being a drone, the elation of being the victor. How is that different from rounded reading, open discussion, visits to museums, war graves, battlefields etc. Oh yes, its boring and its conformist.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:37 pm
rae
Settled.

THEIR knowledge of war is greatly lessened for not having been shot (or at least shot at). They can recite the established facts; they can repeat, or on occasion discuss, the political opinions that prevailed at he time; what they cannot do is relate the sheer horror of being the target, the tedium of being a drone, the elation of being the victor. How is that different from rounded reading, open discussion, visits to museums, war graves, battlefields etc. Oh yes, its boring and its conformist.
its not, you are not making sense and contradicting yourself halfway through your own post. and i refer you back to your original comment, YOU KNOW NOTHING, which you now seem to be contradicting too.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You arent kidding are you!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:39 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think you'll find they are biased religious parents rather than secular. I refer you to my previous comment regarding mad people being involved in education.
someones got to teach and i am grateful for it. i was meaning secular as a non qualified vicar/priest whatever teaching, though i may still be wrong, what do i know i only went to the local comp so apparently I KNOW NOTHING.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the argument that withdrawing a child from the system and home schooling undermines the ability of public education and thus the common good, the evidence suggests that overall, it makes no difference to child's academic achievement whether they are home or publicly educated. So, unless the trend increases dramatically and thus pulls resources from the public system, I can't see why anybody is bothered how other people educate their children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.