Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holidays in Nova Scotia

Holidays in Nova Scotia

Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Holidays in Nova Scotia

We have been to BC and absolutely love it..this is where we would like to invest in a business or set up some sort of RV Park, campsite, B&B etc,,,, but... have recently been looking at Nova Scotia - mainly due to property/land prices but the thing is I have read the winter is considerably harsher than many parts of BC, and the summer is shorter therefore the holiday season could well be shorter! Is Nova Scotia considered a "place to holiday" I believe the coastline is beautiful, but is it "hot" in the summer ie. can you swim in the sea etc. I do see property for sale with swimming pools - so I am assuming it gets hot enough to use them...

Also - mosquitos!! - be honest are they a problem in Nova Scotia - again I read conflicting reports.

Does everything close down in the winter - obviously in the winter in many parts of BC, people visit for skiing holidays etc.

Like I say we are only researching at the moment because the Entrepreneur Route takes years!!!! lol. I think a visit next year to NS could well be in order, but I would love an insight from some of you lovely folk that are living there, or indeed anyone that has perhaps moved from BC to NS (or vice versa), or running or have set up a business in NS.

Cheers,
Mel.

Last edited by Strawberry; Feb 1st 2010 at 10:35 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidays in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Strawberry
We have been to BC and absolutely love it..this is where we would like to invest in a business or set up some sort of RV Park, campsite, B&B etc,,,, but... have recently been looking at Nova Scotia - mainly due to property/land prices but the thing is I have read the winter is considerably harsher than many parts of BC, and the summer is shorter therefore the holiday season will be shorter! Is Nova Scotia considered a "place to holiday" I believe the coastline is beautiful, but is it "hot" in the summer ie. can you swim in the sea etc. I do see property for sale with swimming pools - so I am assuming it gets hot enough to use them...

Also - mosquitos!! - be honest are they a problem in Nova Scotia - again I read conflicting reports.

Does everything close down in the winter - obviously in the winter in BC say, people visit to ski etc.,

Like I say we are only researching at the mo cause Entrepreneur Route takes years!!!! lol. I think a visit next year to NS could well be in order, but I would love an insight from some of you lovely folk that are living there, or indeed anyone that perhaps moved from BC to NS perhaps, or anybody running or have set up a business in NS.

Cheers,
Mel.
I'm in Halifax at the moment, and believe me, after Vancouver the cold weather is a bit of a shock! It's really cold here, tried to walk down by the waterfront yesterday but the wind chill was just too much so had to head away from the sea.

And pretty much everything touristy here seems to be shut. Restaurants, shops, etc, are obviously still open, but all of the tours and tourist places are shut up until May from what I can gather.

I went to dinner at friends last night, and they have a swimming pool. They said that they can only really use it in July and August because it's unheated, but if they get solar panels to heat it (which is their plan), they should also be able to use it in June and September, if that helps at all?

I think in summer it would be stunning though! I'm sure others that live here will offer you their excellent advice, but thought I'd give you my initial impressions from a couple of days here as a tourist.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Christmas,

This is what I thought, if everything shuts up for months on end, then business wise - just a holiday venture wouldn't be enough!!

Do you think it would be too quiet for teenagers, my eldest would be approx 17 and loves stuff like mountainbiking, skateboarding, etc?

Whilst I love rural living, we have to be realistic with 4 kids in tow!!

Mel
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

thepeacock is an unknown quantity at this point

do some weather searches on Gogole.

From what I have observed it is cold but not bitter cold like Mid Canada (+2 to -10C average) from December - March/April...

I believe summers are reasonably hot but how long it lasts for? 3 months?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it would be too quiet for teenagers, my eldest would be approx 17 and loves stuff like mountainbiking, skateboarding, etc?
Don't really know, sorry. Have left my kids at home so haven't been looking at it from a parent point of view! But thought my impressions as a tourist may help a bit.

It certainly seems incredibly quiet, but that is probably just because it's January. When I was walking around yesterday downtown Halifax was like a ghost town, until I got to Point Pleasant Park and then I discovered where everybody was!

I'm sure those with teenagers here will be able to help you out. Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thepeacock
do some weather searches on Gogole.

From what I have observed it is cold but not bitter cold like Mid Canada (+2 to -10C average) from December - March/April...

I believe summers are reasonably hot but how long it lasts for? 3 months?
I have but sometimes it nice to get "real info" from some "real people"

Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been to BC and absolutely love it..this is where we would like to invest in a business or set up some sort of RV Park, campsite, B&B etc,,,, but... have recently been looking at Nova Scotia - mainly due to property/land prices but the thing is I have read the winter is considerably harsher than many parts of BC, and the summer is shorter therefore the holiday season could well be shorter! Is Nova Scotia considered a "place to holiday" I believe the coastline is beautiful, but is it "hot" in the summer ie. can you swim in the sea etc. I do see property for sale with swimming pools - so I am assuming it gets hot enough to use them...

Does everything close down in the winter - obviously in the winter in many parts of BC, people visit for skiing holidays etc.

Like I say we are only researching at the moment because the Entrepreneur Route takes years!!!! lol. I think a visit next year to NS could well be in order, but I would love an insight from some of you lovely folk that are living there, or indeed anyone that has perhaps moved from BC to NS (or vice versa), or running or have set up a business in NS.

Cheers,
Mel.

It also depends on what part of NS you are looking at.
The cancellation of the ferry from Yarmouth to Maine, is going to probably hit tourism more in that area. When I was in Annapolis Royal a couple of weeks ago, it looked like most of the B&B's were up for sale, as well as the restaurants and campsites just outside of Annapolis and Bridgetown. If the ferry from Digby to NB also goes, then the area will be pretty cut off. Flights are also limited - NS was a popular tourist site for visitors from Germany and UK when we first got here, but this market also now seems to be dwindling. The biggest source of tourism at the moment seems to be the cruise ships, which would obviously be no good to you. Sea temperature remains cold all year round (8 to 12 degs) apart from a small area on the north coast which is exposed to Gulf waters and in late August, can have a surface temperature of around 18C.
There are a lot of lakes in NS, so mosquitoes are a problem, more so in some areas than others. We also get what are called locally "no see um's" which have a nasty bite. Last year it was a problem well into September as we had so much rain over summer.
Ski-ing is limited to man made runs at Wentworth and Martock, as well as Cape Breton.
Prince Edward Island might also be an area for you to consider, although the tourist economy there is also suffering at the moment.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

There are different things to do depending on the time of year, kids here seem to do OK so I am sure your kids will once they make friends. Mosquitoes can be a problem but I think in a way you get used to them and buy plenty of repellent. 2008 we suffered badly from bites (first year) 2009 we thought we didn't do as bad despite it making the news on being worse than 2008. We however really do live out of town and the new item was for in town but I didn't really notice anything when I went shopping there.

Weather wise we have found it still to be reasonable warm well into October with just the evenings getting cooler. Last week we had a warm spell before the snow and we was out walking our dogs with just jeans and sweat shirts on this week after the snow storm the temps are definitely much lower but I wouldn't say it is as bad as this time last year or it could be we are getting used to the cold weather. We still go out walking our dogs, just wrap up warmly and that does the trick.

The coastline is beautiful and only 10 mins away from where I live, I have friends that live in an area with lots of summer cottages, they live there all year round, and we was walking down by the shore on Saturday afternoon just being careful of the snow and underfoot ice.

A lot is what you make of it, where abouts in NS you are living and what is available to do, there are still some activities in the winter you just may have to look for it and travel a bit
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm in Halifax at the moment, and believe me, after Vancouver the cold weather is a bit of a shock! It's really cold here, tried to walk down by the waterfront yesterday but the wind chill was just too much so had to head away from the sea.
The last few days have been the coldest of the winter and well below normal. It won't get much colder than what it has been. You making it to any pubs?
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fou...qlink_lt_14day
Old Feb 1st 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a rural community on the Eastern Shore. Our kids are 14 and 9 and they find plenty to do, they swim, sail, cycle and play golf in summer and we go over to Martock or Wentworth to ski/board in winter aswell as skating at the local rink and sledging whenever it snows.

In Halifax, which is half a hour away, some tourist places close or do reduced hours in winter, but many are still open. Areas which depend heavily on tourism like the Annapolis Valley have more closed businesses in winter.

As for swimming, it depends where you go. I love near to Martinique Beach where they water is cold and without a wet suit, I would only swim in July and August. However, I swim in the Petpeswick inlet just up from Martinique from late June through to Late September as it is several degrees warmer. The water is also warmer on the West coast of cape Breton and the North Shore.

Camping is popular here and we know of a couple of people who have campsites or trailer parks who do quite well. There was a campsite for sale on the Eastern Shore last year and it was snapped up almost straight away so it may be worth you doing the research at least.

Flights here are direct from Heathrow with Air Canada, daily in summer and 4 times a week in winter or direct from Gatwick with Canadian Affair May to November (twice weekly I think).

Also, you could look at the community identified route in NS which may be quicker for you and also much less expensive.

I hope this helps.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi and thank you for your replies. I haven't actually thought about CI Route to be honest. In fact, we have only just even seriously considered Nova Scotia. I think a visit next year will be in order.

Cheers all again,

Mel
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We live in a rural community on the Eastern Shore. Our kids are 14 and 9 and they find plenty to do, they swim, sail, cycle and play golf in summer and we go over to Martock or Wentworth to ski/board in winter aswell as skating at the local rink and sledging whenever it snows.

In Halifax, which is half a hour away, some tourist places close or do reduced hours in winter, but many are still open. Areas which depend heavily on tourism like the Annapolis Valley have more closed businesses in winter.

As for swimming, it depends where you go. I love near to Martinique Beach where they water is cold and without a wet suit, I would only swim in July and August. However, I swim in the Petpeswick inlet just up from Martinique from late June through to Late September as it is several degrees warmer. The water is also warmer on the West coast of cape Breton and the North Shore.

Camping is popular here and we know of a couple of people who have campsites or trailer parks who do quite well. There was a campsite for sale on the Eastern Shore last year and it was snapped up almost straight away so it may be worth you doing the research at least.

Flights here are direct from Heathrow with Air Canada, daily in summer and 4 times a week in winter or direct from Gatwick with Canadian Affair May to November (twice weekly I think).

Also, you could look at the community identified route in NS which may be quicker for you and also much less expensive.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, what a great and positive insight. It is interesting to know and pass on to OH that swimming does happen on the Atlantic side of Canada - he is convinced that Nova Scotia is going to be freezing all year round, mind you he joked for months that we had to pack fleeces for going to BC last summer -

I suppose if we bought a business, we could be eligible for the CI Route?? You are correct, some research is now to be done...

Cheers

Mel
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by val50
It also depends on what part of NS you are looking at.
The cancellation of the ferry from Yarmouth to Maine, is going to probably hit tourism more in that area. When I was in Annapolis Royal a couple of weeks ago, it looked like most of the B&B's were up for sale, as well as the restaurants and campsites just outside of Annapolis and Bridgetown. If the ferry from Digby to NB also goes, then the area will be pretty cut off. Flights are also limited - NS was a popular tourist site for visitors from Germany and UK when we first got here, but this market also now seems to be dwindling. The biggest source of tourism at the moment seems to be the cruise ships, which would obviously be no good to you. Sea temperature remains cold all year round (8 to 12 degs) apart from a small area on the north coast which is exposed to Gulf waters and in late August, can have a surface temperature of around 18C.
There are a lot of lakes in NS, so mosquitoes are a problem, more so in some areas than others. We also get what are called locally "no see um's" which have a nasty bite. Last year it was a problem well into September as we had so much rain over summer.
Ski-ing is limited to man made runs at Wentworth and Martock, as well as Cape Breton.
Prince Edward Island might also be an area for you to consider, although the tourist economy there is also suffering at the moment.
Thanks Val, this is also interesting to note, especially if we are considering a tourist-type business!!.

Mel.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
The last few days have been the coldest of the winter and well below normal. It won't get much colder than what it has been. You making it to any pubs?
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fou...qlink_lt_14day
Not yet, although there's a very lively one opposite my hotel *scuttles off to look out of window at name of it* The Split Crow. But the big Union Jack flag above the door has put me off a bit!!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose if we bought a business, we could be eligible for the CI Route?? You are correct, some research is now to be done...
Remember that anyone can have a business in Canada, but you need a work permit or PR to work in it. I would recommend trying to get in through the CI route first and then buying a business or setting up a new business.
There is a WIKI about this that you should read
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nova_S...ntified_Stream and if you do a search a number of people who have come through this route have posted and I am sure would give you info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.