Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

holiday in USA, on PR, visa needed?

holiday in USA, on PR, visa needed?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday in USA, on PR, visa needed?

Originally Posted by rae
my passport shows british citizen on the rear photo page, but only mentions right of abode in the notes area-good grief.
If your passport says British citizen it is not excluded from the VWP on nationality grounds.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:48 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
thank you very much, and to everyone else.

the above is accurate as of now with my research also, i guess i am simply doubting the objectivity of it all, as there is none, its down to hank at the crossing basically.
passport canada refered referreds consulate calgary, which by recorded message gave me a restricted telephone number which does not connect?, and the above links kindly posted by acer rose.
my passport shows british citizen on the rear photo page, but only mentions right of abode in the notes area-good grief.
so here goes, i am booking and going on my passport only for the VWP, we'll see, i'll let you know. the b1/b2 just does not seem applicable, but like i say we'll see. thanks again, rae.
got in no problems, were not interested in ETSA, filled the green form in at customs like i have done before, no questions from US customs, only grilled on return to canada, when they wanted to see my PR card, nothing else.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
got in no problems, were not interested in ETSA, filled the green form in at customs like i have done before, no questions from US customs, only grilled on return to canada, when they wanted to see my PR card, nothing else.
I've been over on my British Passport with Canadian PR several times - the only time I had a third-degree was over my US work visa, they were asking "are you coming here to work?" to which I was saying - "No, it's a Thanksgiving shopping trip". But I had my 'photo and fingerprints taken...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:54 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Visa Waiver Program passport holders require new authorizations prior to travel effective Jan 12, 2009!

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's new Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is to become mandatory on January 12, 2009!

The new system requires citizens of the 27 countries participating in the U.S.’s Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to complete an ESTA application online and receive approval prior to traveling to the United States. ESTA is currently available on a voluntary basis, but approval becomes mandatory January 12, 2009.

This has a specific impact in all European VWP markets: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It also impacts travelers residing in any country who intend to travel to the U.S. on a passport issued from one of the 27 Visa Waiver Program countries.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Visa Waiver Program passport holders require new authorizations prior to travel effective Jan 12, 2009!

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's new Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is to become mandatory on January 12, 2009!

The new system requires citizens of the 27 countries participating in the U.S.’s Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to complete an ESTA application online and receive approval prior to traveling to the United States. ESTA is currently available on a voluntary basis, but approval becomes mandatory January 12, 2009.

This has a specific impact in all European VWP markets: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It also impacts travelers residing in any country who intend to travel to the U.S. on a passport issued from one of the 27 Visa Waiver Program countries.
Old news, really. This has been discussed for some time.

There is a wiki article on the visa waiver program:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:28 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar

yes i know, but i can only tell you what i can tell you, filled in esta online as required. travelled on 13th jan, told computer says no, on green forms still for foreseeable fuuture, crack on with the pen mate. or americana to that effect.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Ranj is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm flying out to Vancouver in April to get my PR and then popping across the border into the US with my wife and flying from Seattle to DC for a Wedding, we all have british passports that all say "British Citizen" in them, so that should be OK right?

Technically speaking you don't need this ESTA if you are crossing the border?

Apologies for the silly questions and the paranoia

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Ranj
I'm flying out to Vancouver in April to get my PR and then popping across the border into the US with my wife and flying from Seattle to DC for a Wedding, we all have british passports that all say "British Citizen" in them, so that should be OK right?

Technically speaking you don't need this ESTA if you are crossing the border?
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.2.21&idno=8

§ 217.5 Electronic System for Travel Authorization.
(a) Travel authorization required. Each nonimmigrant alien intending to travel by air or sea to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) must, within the time specified in paragraph (b) of this section, receive a travel authorization, which is a positive determination of eligibility to travel to the United States under the VWP via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA),

Recommended to read the wiki article:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

You don't need a return ticket at the frontier but recommended to bring it anyway in case they ask. Admission is still discretionary, usually given to those eligible but can be refused.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Ranj is an unknown quantity at this point

JAJ

I intend to depart from DC back to the UK after the wedding so I will be only in the US for a few days.

Will this cause any problems?

I also read that there is a $6 fee for crossing the border, I hope that is per group and not per person
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:35 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ranj
JAJ

I also read that there is a $6 fee for crossing the border, I hope that is per group and not per person

Per person.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about

Hi there
Have just read this posting and am a bit worried, we have our Pr visas but have not yet landed, family of ours in Canada asked us to join them on a holiday in the states, so we thought we`d land then carry on to the holiday in the states, do you think this will cause a problem ?

any info ?