Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Claiming a new spouse for tax purposes.

Claiming a new spouse for tax purposes.

Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road
Default Claiming a new spouse for tax purposes.

I thought I had read something about this in here, but the search function didn't help...
Have any Canadian citizen spouses claimed their PR applicant spouses on their taxes?
My situation:
We married in October 2008, so I can tick married for 2008 tax purposes.
We are in the PR process, and my OH is living here on a visitor's visa (waiting for extension).
The forms ask for your spouse's S.I.N.
She doesn't have one yet, obviously.
Has anyone here in this situation claimed the spousal deduction?
Her income is zero, and I am supporting her.

Last edited by chams; Feb 1st 2009 at 7:30 pm. Reason: speeling
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming a new spouse for tax purposes.

Originally Posted by chams
I thought I had read something about this in here, but the search function didn't help...
Have any Canadian citizen spouses claimed their PR applicant spouses on their taxes?
My situation:
We married in October 2008, so I can tick married for 2008 tax purposes.
We are in the PR process, and my OH is living here on a visitor's visa (waiting for extension).
The forms ask for your spouse's S.I.N.
She doesn't have one yet, obviously.
Has anyone here in this situation claimed the spousal deduction?
Her income is zero, and I am supporting her.
You don't need a SIN number. Leave that bit blank but include a brief note explaining the situation and that she has no income and you are supporting her. I would also include a copy of your wedding certificate. If they review your return and decide to be anal about it they might want proof that you are supporting her, but that is unlikely.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Claiming a new spouse for tax purposes.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You don't need a SIN number. Leave that bit blank but include a brief note explaining the situation and that she has no income and you are supporting her. I would also include a copy of your wedding certificate. If they review your return and decide to be anal about it they might want proof that you are supporting her, but that is unlikely.
Thanks for your reply.
Re: proof of support.
Shall I just send a picture of her shoe closet (or wardrobe as you Brits would say)

Hopefully it is legal to claim her while she's on a visitor's visa, and in PR application limbo.