Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holiday Entitlement

Holiday Entitlement

Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:58 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holiday Entitlement

Originally Posted by Daedra
Isnt that the Loblaws supermarket (grocers) brand?!
Yes, but its banking is done by a division of CIBC, and I shop in those stores anyway, so the loyalty points add up to several hundred dollars in saving before I even start to count the savings in banking fees that come from no monthly fees, unlimited transactions, and interest earned on money that I dont need to keep in my checking account to get the fees waived at my old bank.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 4th 2007 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

i was told i would be payed $30 hour plus 10% for hols and bank hols on top.
not $30 hour deducted 10% am i missing some thing?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:08 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I'm not really looking forward to that part when we move back to Canada next year... sometimes ignorance is bliss & its nice for us NON-mathematical geniuses to be able to count out our purchase prior to reaching the till
Its the main reason thats making us think twice about going back. I love my five weeks. The standard two week holiday entitlement is utter rubbish.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

It really is pants !! i still cant see why you would splash out loads on a RV just of 2 weeks of the year??
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:57 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lee58uk
It really is pants !! i still cant see why you would splash out loads on a RV just of 2 weeks of the year??
Not everyone gets only two weeks. Many people are self employed for starters anmd can take as much time of as they think they can afford.

I get 3 weeks now, and its enough for me. If you like your job its not a problem. Not that I wouldnt take more if offered, but my lifestylle here is far more relaxed than it was in the UK, and I dont need weeks away to decompress.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 5th 2007 at 1:13 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:05 pm
Canadiain

I dont understand....are they talking about 10% extra overtime for working holidays?? Not sure thats legal. In ontario the ESA states time and a half as premium pay for stat holidays (with a few conditions)...although many positions are exempt anyway.

10% is far too high a figure to be vacation pay deduction. The deduction (IF your holiday allowance is calculated this way, which is unusual for anything but hourly rate employees) would usually be ~4% for 2 weeks vacation, 6% for three and so on.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/es_pubs.html

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 5th 2007 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:08 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Well you get a few long weekends too (bank holidays) and alot of people like camping or RV'ing for a couple nights... I personally prefer going camping for 3 nights 4 days as I'm not a fan of putting up & taking down tents *lol*
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:12 pm
Canadiain

Well you get a few long weekends too (bank holidays) and alot of people like camping or RV'ing for a couple nights... I personally prefer going camping for 3 nights 4 days as I'm not a fan of putting up & taking down tents *lol*
Makes no sense to pay $20 to $100+k for an RV for the odd weekend when you can rent instead if you really want to do it.

Or else just hang out in my back yard for the mosquito bite experience, and put a rock under your mattress to simulate the sleeping conditions. S'mores you can make in the microwave.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:16 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but if your a rich son of a (blank) then you can splash out for them... or a yacht... or both... plus alot of retirees (pensioners) dream is to travel across Canada & the USA when they have all the time in the world.

Dont like the idea myself, I'll hopefully be doing more useful pursuits when I retire, such as counting the tiles on the ceilings & contemplating wether to let the cat out or not
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

The offer was $30 an hour plus 6% paid on top for hols and 4% bank hols, when you take time off you dont get paid, as its coverd in the % you get every 2 weeks, i was told this is normal for a electrician to be paid
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:50 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Not everyone gets only two weeks. Many people are self employed for starters anmd can take as much time of as they think they can afford.

I get 3 weeks now, and its enough for me. If you like your job its not a problem. Not that I wouldnt take more if offered, but my lifestylle here is far more relaxed than it was in the UK, and I dont need weeks away to decompress.
Agreed - I'm self employed, but the nature of starting up a business means taking time off is damn near impossible. I've also got a 2yr contract with an organisation that gives me 4wks holiday per year (+ bank holidays) - I use those weeks to catch up on my own business, so it works perfectly, sort of
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I am a little confused myself now... I get 4% vacation pay on top of my salary, ... so how come some employers add it and some deduct it?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

A fair few employers in Calgary offer a flex type system where you can get every second friday off or one extra day a month.

I know that big employers like Shell and BP also have this scheme.

Two employers I have had since coming to Calgary have offered the same.

My husband is also offered this . He gets 15 days vacation plus one flex day a month. Thats 27 days not including the bank holidays they have here in the province.

I get 25 days plus 2 days a month flex.

We are both have more vacation now than we ever did in the UK.

I know the flex system states that you effectively work longer days, but compared to what we used to work in London we are WAY better off.

Last edited by Mountain Girl; Jun 5th 2007 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:26 pm
Canadiain

Originally Posted by woodworm
I am a little confused myself now... I get 4% vacation pay on top of my salary, ... so how come some employers add it and some deduct it?
It appears in these cases that they add it (in discusion about wages) and then deduct it from your check, leaving you with the take home pay they quoted after they take the 4% vacation pay off.

In a sane and consistent world when you finally get an extra weeks holiday, your take home pay will go down 2%. But in a sane and consistent world the whole vacation pay thing would probably never come up anyway, as you have probably noticed, we dont live in a sane and consistent world anyway, so its all a moot point.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:32 pm
Canadiain

The offer was $30 an hour plus 6% paid on top for hols and 4% bank hols, when you take time off you dont get paid, as its coverd in the % you get every 2 weeks, i was told this is normal for a electrician to be paid
6% covers three weeks off. Is that what you agreed with them. I wasnt aware of doing the same thing for stat holidays, but I guess it makes sense. I dont know about smaller businesses like sparkies, but its normal where Ive seen this at larger employers for the company to administer the holiday accounts to stop you from spending it all as it comes in and having nothing at all to cover vacation periods. Are they saying you are self employed effectively and just devolving the responsibility to the employee?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.