Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

hobby or business

hobby or business

Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default hobby or business

Hello,
we've just had an international moving company rep walk round our house to give us a quote for moving over. (We already have our PR status). During his walkabout, my wife asked him about her sugarcraft items. She has been doing sugarcraft and cake making for many, many years. It started as a hobby, turned into a small business and few years ago returned to being a hobby again. My wife has a LOT of cake decorating items and several display pieces constructed from sugar paste. They are beautiful and she regards them with justified pride. When the rep said "sorry, they cannot go, they are classed as food, therefore a big no-no" my wife was devastated to say the least. Most of these pieces have sat in a display cabinet for many years and are an extension of my wifes character. Is there any way at all that we can bring these into Canada? Can they be classed as "art" perhaps, to avoid the food issue? Another thing that crossed our minds was, as there is a lot of non-food items appertaining to cake making and decorating, will the customs officials regard the quantity with suspicion and think that she/we are trying to bring over a business clandestinely? Which will not be the case. If anyone can help us out, it would be greatly appreciated. We are well into our 60's and just want to be with our family and to retire gracefully. Thank you.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hobby or business

Originally Posted by gorleen
Hello,
we've just had an international moving company rep walk round our house to give us a quote for moving over. (We already have our PR status). During his walkabout, my wife asked him about her sugarcraft items. She has been doing sugarcraft and cake making for many, many years. It started as a hobby, turned into a small business and few years ago returned to being a hobby again. My wife has a LOT of cake decorating items and several display pieces constructed from sugar paste. They are beautiful and she regards them with justified pride. When the rep said "sorry, they cannot go, they are classed as food, therefore a big no-no" my wife was devastated to say the least. Most of these pieces have sat in a display cabinet for many years and are an extension of my wifes character. Is there any way at all that we can bring these into Canada? Can they be classed as "art" perhaps, to avoid the food issue? Another thing that crossed our minds was, as there is a lot of non-food items appertaining to cake making and decorating, will the customs officials regard the quantity with suspicion and think that she/we are trying to bring over a business clandestinely? Which will not be the case. If anyone can help us out, it would be greatly appreciated. We are well into our 60's and just want to be with our family and to retire gracefully. Thank you.
Too many variables to give you a 100% accurate answer.
Dependent on the quantity and the value of the items CBSA could view them as items for use in a business or not. Examining officer will decide how to treat them. As for the decorative items if common sense prevails I would class them as a decoration as opposed to food and would bring them however no guarantee that all CBSA officers have the same common sense level as me.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice

Thank you, very useful.

If only common sense did prevail, the world would certainley be a better place.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is a useful tool on the Food Inspection Agencies website that may be of use: http://inspection.gc.ca/plants/impor...1300127627409#

Using it to find 'sugar' this was the nearest I could find.

Import Details for Requirement : 46025 Version : 5
HS Description : 170490
17 Sugars and sugar confectionery
04 Sugar confectionery (including white chocolate), not containing cocoa.
90 Other
OGD Extension : 713400
7134 Paste, based on sugar, not containing cocoa: Other
Origin : GB
EU Europe
GB United Kingdom
End Use: 46
46 Travellers & Personal use and not for resale or distribution

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

Approved
Importer / Broker Instructions

CONDITIONS OF IMPORT

Shipments must not exceed 20 kg to be eligible for exemption.

Definition of "hermetically sealed container" : a container that is designed to be and is secure against the entry of microorganisms (e.g. pouch, vacuum packed, canned, in jars).

This end use is intended for non-commercial importations that are for personal use only and not intended for sale.

Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Can't she make some new ones when she gets over here? If you're going to be the Vancouver BC area around the middle of May I know someone who will need a flag on a cake for a leaving do.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

The Canada Food Inspection Agency can answer a number of your questions. www.inspection.gc.ca have a list of food items permitted. Also www.beaware.gc.ca is the web site where all the information on what you can import as an immigrant. The link is also on the food agency site. It does mention candied items, which I take to mean suger etc., are allowed but not to exceed 20kg. Do some surfing on two these sites as there is a great deal of information on both.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandylns
The Canada Food Inspection Agency can answer a number of your questions. www.inspection.gc.ca have a list of food items permitted. Also www.beaware.gc.ca is the web site where all the information on what you can import as an immigrant. The link is also on the food agency site. It does mention candied items, which I take to mean suger etc., are allowed but not to exceed 20kg. Do some surfing on two these sites as there is a great deal of information on both.
Isn't that a repeat of what I posted?

Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Originally Posted by siouxie
Isn't that a repeat of what I posted?

Partially. The "be aware" web site gives additional information pertaining to importation of food and items that could be classified as food. Giving an additional web source can only help.