Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

History Ph.D - prospects?

History Ph.D - prospects?

Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:02 am
Cowtown

Default Re: History Ph.D - prospects?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I live with a woman who has been here since May 2004. I am, however, married to a woman with whom I have not lived since 1989 but with whom I have several children. I would like the woman I live with to be my wife but the hurdles are many and complicated.
What is it with you and tax! You just cannt keep it simple can you?

Are you aware that after living with this lady for 12 months she became (will become) your second 'spouse' for tax purposes? That assumes there are no children.

Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:16 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: History Ph.D - prospects?

Originally Posted by Cowtown
What is it with you and tax! You just cannt keep it simple can you?
It is actually all far more complicated than stated. My partner is actually the third person with whom I have established a bigamistic common law status (serially, not all at once); the previous two eventually tired of the arrangement and left. I'm still in contact with one of them which is good as, for tax reasons, the house is in her name (otherwise I'd be liable for CGT on either the house I live in or the one where my wife does).

I must say that I'm most eager to avoid the current one buggering off which is why I've spent about twenty grand this year on trying to advance a divorce.

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Are you aware that after living with this lady for 12 months she became (will become) your second 'spouse' for tax purposes? That assumes there are no children.
I still claim the write off for the original wife so there's no advantage there. There might be a benefit in being able to deduct her tuition but, for that, I'd think she'd have to be resident in Canada.