Reload this Page >

History Ph.D - prospects?

Wikiposts

History Ph.D - prospects?

Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

bisdhar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default History Ph.D - prospects?

I am a History Ph.D. (Indian and British history) - used to teach as assistant professor in India. Given all that I see on this site, is there anyone out there who can recommend if there are jobs available for professions like mine such as teaching, researching, assisting or other. Since there are fewer schools/colleges compared to the US (we are moving from the US in a few months), is it really possible to find work?

Thanks
Moneeka
Old Oct 18th 2005, 5:08 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History Ph.D - prospects?

Originally Posted by bisdhar
I am a History Ph.D. (Indian and British history) - used to teach as assistant professor in India. Given all that I see on this site, is there anyone out there who can recommend if there are jobs available for professions like mine such as teaching, researching, assisting or other. Since there are fewer schools/colleges compared to the US (we are moving from the US in a few months), is it really possible to find work?

Thanks
Moneeka
Hi,

I'm presuming from your name that you, or your parents are from India originally. Here (Alberta), you're ethnicised as an East Indian.

Academia jobs are different from your average job.

I would suggest searching the various academic insts. here, finding out who's doing what in your field and phoning them telling them your interests, what you've published and how you can (most importantly) attract funding.

Follow this up with an e-mail, resume and publications list.

ps. Make sure you're familiar with the person's work before talking to them.

End of the day, like everywhere else you have to convince the individual that
you will be of a benifit to them.

What did you do in the US?

Last edited by Iginla; Oct 18th 2005 at 5:10 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:38 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Thanks
Moneeka
My domestic partner has a recent masters in history from a US university. In light of the value of this qualification, she's attending chef's school.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:41 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd
My domestic partner has a recent masters in history from a US university. In light of the value of this qualification, she's attending chef's school.

I guess you can say she is diversifying her portfolio
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:46 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Grafiti in the bathroom stalls in one of the Eng building in Leeds

Arts degrees. Please take one

My wife also has a MA in History (Wilfred Laurier I think). "Would you like fries with that?"
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:19 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Grafiti in the bathroom stalls in one of the Eng building in Leeds

Arts degrees. Please take one

My wife also has a MA in History (Wilfred Laurier I think). "Would you like fries with that?"
My son has a BA in History (Western Canadian) and a BEd. He is teaching social studies at the high school level in Calgary.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:48 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd
Originally Posted by dbd

- don't allow your spouse to work. Her (or his, if we must) deductions are usually worth more than she can earn.
Why bother? She is not allowed to work!

Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Why bother? She is not allowed to work!
She's not my spouse. And, in any case, she has no work permit for Canada.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:56 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd33
She's not my spouse. And, in any case, she has no work permit for Canada.
Now I'm really confused. What is a 'domestic partner' then? Sounded like a fancy word for 'other half' to me!

Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Now I'm really confused. What is a 'domestic partner' then? Sounded like a fancy word for 'other half' to me!
I live with a woman who has been here since May 2004. I am, however, married to a woman with whom I have not lived since 1989 but with whom I have several children. I would like the woman I live with to be my wife but the hurdles are many and complicated.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thats news. What do you mean the deductions more if the non-earning spouse just stays at home? My hubby will make 85 grands. We figured if I worked (even part time) I could make us an extra 25 or so. Are you suggesting that its possible we will save more on taxes if I dont work and dont earn that. We have 2 kids who may require child care. I thought my income (being so low) would be barely taxed. Are incomes grouped together as here in the US?

Moneeka
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that its possible we will save more on taxes if I dont work and dont earn that. We have 2 kids who may require child care. I thought my income (being so low) would be barely taxed.
For the 2004 tax year, one could claim a tax credit of something like C$1,088 for supporting a spouse who had no income of his/her own.

For a non-earning spouse, one could enter a credit of C$6,803 on one's tax form, but then that amount got added to various other kinds of tax credits and one could claim 16% of the total. That's where I got the figure of C$1,088. It's 16% of C$6,803.

So, if you don't earn income, your husband will be able to claim a credit of C$1,088 against the tax that he owes.

The tax credit of C$1,088 that your husband can claim is reduced as your income goes above C$0. The tax credit that your husband can claim disappears altogether when your income reaches C$7,484.

Here is a chart of income tax rates in various Canadian provinces. If you were to earn C$25,000 in Ontario, you would pay C$3,713 in federal and provincial income tax, leaving you with a net income of C$21,287.

However, some additional amounts, e.g., Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance contributions, would be deducted at source, leaving you with a somewhat smaller net income than C$21,287. Sorry, I don't know what the CPP and EI contributions would be.

Then you need to factor in child care expenses, transportation to and from work, the fact that you need somewhat smarter clothes in most work settings that are outside of your home, etc., and you may find that your net earnings per hour are lower than you might have thought they would be.

I'm not saying that it's more worthwhile to stay home or more worthwhile to work. If you care about your career a lot, you may consider it worthwhile to work just to secure your place on the career ladder.

However, it does help if you have no illusions about the effective hourly rate that you're earning.

Are incomes grouped together as here in the US?
No, spouses' incomes are not grouped together in Canada.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:09 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

In quoting the tax credit that your husband could claim for supporting you if you had no income, I started out with a fuzzy recollection of the topic. I refreshed my memory by going to the T1 General income tax return form for 2004 and Schedule 1, which is the supplementary form that you use for calculating tax credits.

It occurs to me that it would be safer for you to look at those forms, especially Schedule 1, yourself. When it comes to tax matters, I advise you against relying on my opinion or the opinion of any other layperson who posts on this forum. Responses on the forum can point you in the right direction, so that you can find relevant information more easily. However, it's prudent to go to official sources, like Canada Revenue Agency's web site, and check things out there.

In many instances, it's worth engaging the services of a professional financial adviser when you move countries.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much though. That was invaluable.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
For the 2004 tax year, one could claim a tax credit of something like C$1,088 for supporting a spouse who had no income of his/her own.

For a non-earning spouse, one could enter a credit of C$6,803 on one's tax form, but then that amount got added to various other kinds of tax credits and one could claim 16% of the total. That's where I got the figure of C$1,088. It's 16% of C$6,803.

So, if you don't earn income, your husband will be able to claim a credit of C$1,088 against the tax that he owes.

The tax credit of C$1,088 that your husband can claim is reduced as your income goes above C$0. The tax credit that your husband can claim disappears altogether when your income reaches C$7,484.

Here is a chart of income tax rates in various Canadian provinces. If you were to earn C$25,000 in Ontario, you would pay C$3,713 in federal and provincial income tax, leaving you with a net income of C$21,287.

However, some additional amounts, e.g., Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance contributions, would be deducted at source, leaving you with a somewhat smaller net income than C$21,287. Sorry, I don't know what the CPP and EI contributions would be.

Then you need to factor in child care expenses, transportation to and from work, the fact that you need somewhat smarter clothes in most work settings that are outside of your home, etc., and you may find that your net earnings per hour are lower than you might have thought they would be.

I'm not saying that it's more worthwhile to stay home or more worthwhile to work. If you care about your career a lot, you may consider it worthwhile to work just to secure your place on the career ladder.

However, it does help if you have no illusions about the effective hourly rate that you're earning.

No, spouses' incomes are not grouped together in Canada.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:38 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I live with a woman who has been here since May 2004. I am, however, married to a woman with whom I have not lived since 1989 but with whom I have several children. I would like the woman I live with to be my wife but the hurdles are many and complicated.
So you are a modern man afterall, judging by the shacked up arrangements? Now that is something made in the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.