Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hiring a Car inside Canada

Hiring a Car inside Canada

Old Jun 5th 2017, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a Car inside Canada

Seconded re. Costco. They're usually excellent for North America (and usually pretty good for airport rentals worldwide - if you want a location they don't service, you can usually find the relevant code to use when booking via the car hire company in question direct - just been looking at this for a non-airport location in the UK).

Otherwise, if you have the time and inclination, comparing .ca with .co.uk can be quite interesting. Found a 25% difference for another rental I'm planning while I'm over this summer.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz

Otherwise, if you have the time and inclination, comparing .ca with .co.uk can be quite interesting. Found a 25% difference for another rental I'm planning while I'm over this summer.
25% difference - which was lower?

Watch out for insurance coverages - booking made on .co.uk websites will have far more insurance coverage included compare to .ca or .com, because 'over here' they assume that your credit card (or your own Canadian auto insurance coverage) will provide some of the coverage. UK credit cards invariably don't.

We used to use Avis.co.uk for Canada car rentals before we moved here, because the like-for-like price when insurance was taken in to account was cheaper for the UK-based booking.

Avis (and others) also have good discounts for various qualifiers, such as MasterCard, Visa, various employers, AA/RAC, BA Member level...etc...
Old Jun 5th 2017, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Just checked Alamo UK for dodge caravan,from Vancouver airport, two weeks september, 65 yr old driver, cost was £658 but includes all insurances, taxes etc and unlimited mileage. It's the fact it's a mini van that ups the cost as a compact with same details came out at £421.This for two drivers - second driver free!
Same price from Calgary airport and winnepeg airport.
Try renting from a site away from the airport. They apply a premium for airport rentals.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Try renting from a site away from the airport. They apply a premium for airport rentals.
Depends where you are - in Greater Vancouver the Airport Premium applies everywhere it seems.

Rentals from the airport branches are cheaper however

There is also a very good chance of a free upgrade being available - I've always been offered one ay YVR at Avis and Hertz, because they don't seem to have many smaller cars.

The same works going back to the UK - at Manchester I've always had upgrades too.

Last edited by withabix; Jun 5th 2017 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Depends where you are - in Greater Vancouver the Airport Premium applies everywhere it seems.

Rentals from the airport branches are cheaper however

There is also a very good chance of a free upgrade being available - I've always been offered one ay YVR at Avis and Hertz, because they don't seem to have many smaller cars.

The same works going back to the UK - at Manchester I've always had upgrades too.
I know budget downtown has a sign saying if you have arrived at YVR within the last 24 hours then the premium applies. I have never had to pay it as I show my BC driving license. Presumably if you can wait 24 hrs and get one downtown you don't pay the premium.

Admittedly I don't get an upgrade but there standard mid-size's are pretty high spec vehicles to begin with. Also they allow you to use the out of hours drop box which means there is no need to rush back to drop-off before they close. Avis do the same thing but they are owned by the same company.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning everyone

I went to my local Enterprise car hire location yesterday and the best they can do for a Mini Van is $1000 for 2 weeks and thats before I add their insurance which they say is $23.99 per day if anything happens and I just want to walk away. Its seems quite expensive to me but what can you do??

Thanks

Farmboy
Old Jun 7th 2017, 3:13 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Good morning everyone

I went to my local Enterprise car hire location yesterday and the best they can do for a Mini Van is $1000 for 2 weeks and thats before I add their insurance which they say is $23.99 per day if anything happens and I just want to walk away. Its seems quite expensive to me but what can you do??

Thanks

Farmboy
Did you have a look at Turo yet? Where do you live?
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah Turo didnt have anything. I am just outside London. SW Ontario.
I think I have just got sorted out with Enterprise. There was almost $200 dollars of difference between one branch than another and they were not airport locations either!!
Just need to sort out a less expensive insurance cover policy now.

Thanks

Farmboy.